Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Worth noting that they still have a Pickerington location:

http://www.lafogatagrillohio.com/

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

only marginally worth noting. ;)

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Are there huge La Fogata fans out there? I don’t think I know any. The food was pretty mediocre for such a high profile spot.

The Eagle coming to Columbus is the best news I’ve heard all day.

Irina
    Participant

Many of you are talking about food at La Fogata. But I know this restaurant as a place where I can dance Salsa on Friday nights in the upstairs room. I hope that space can still be utilized for dancing in the future.

FireEngine
    Participant

Pickerington is even farther away than Canal Winchester.

Rodgers
    Participant

Meh…another chain from outside Columbus coming in; I’m not too thrilled with that, but that’s the direction the Short North seems to be heading in, so I guess I’ll just shrug and accept it. I had no strong feelings about La Fogata either way, but I’m wondering how secure some of the other bars/restaurants in that area of the Short North are, in light of this.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Chain? Not quite. It’s a Cincinnati-owned business with fewer locations than most.

If we’re only going to be okay with mono-facility-businesses, then we’re going to have to eliminate most of the SN storefronts.

Rodgers
    Participant

Chain? Not quite. It’s a Cincinnati-owned business with fewer locations than most.

If we’re only going to be okay with mono-facility-businesses, then we’re going to have to eliminate most of the SN storefronts.

27 locations. I’m not sure that’s fewer locations than most, but without doing further research, I’ll let that pass.

I’m in no way saying that the Short North should be occupied only by mono-facility-businesses (I’m not sure how you’d take that from what I wrote…), but in my opinion, it would be nice to see it dominated by local players. While they are Ohio cities, I don’t consider Cleveland (The Melt) or Cincinnati (Bakersfield and now The Eagle) to be “local.” This is a road the SN has been creeping down, but change is inevitable as more players from outside the area want a piece of the pie.

And, before anyone says anything, yeah, there are still quite a few locally-based businesses in the SN, so there’s no need to produce a list. I’m just not a fan of the trend I’m seeing, is all.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>

27 locations. I’m not sure that’s fewer locations than most, but without doing further research, I’ll let that pass.

I’m in no way saying that the Short North should be occupied only by mono-facility-businesses (I’m not how you’d take that from what I wrote…), but in my opinion, it would be nice to see it dominated by local players. While they are Ohio cities. I don’t consider Cleveland (The Melt) or Cincinnati (Bakersfield and now The Eagle) to be “local.” This is a road the SN has been creeping down, but change is inevitable as more players from outside the area want a piece of the pie.

And, before anyone says anything, yeah, there are still quite a few locally-based businesses in the SN, so there’s no need to produce a list. I’m just not a fan of the trend I’m seeing, is all.

Do we count all the different restaurants that fall under a company as one and the same if you’re going to say 27 restaurants?

Cameron Mitchell and Hyde Park chains are clogging up the Short North too I guess. Prices are high in Short North, obviously, I’m not expecting to see mom and pop places popping up around here anymore. Hop a few streets over to 4th, and that’s building up nicely. Short North is one of the main hot spots for tourists in Columbus now, so if it’s bringing money into the city, I’m all for it. There’s places like Franklinton and OTE to focus on development now.

bayrea
    Participant

Many of you are talking about food at La Fogata. But I know this restaurant as a place where I can dance Salsa on Friday nights in the upstairs room. I hope that space can still be utilized for dancing in the future.

I hear you will be able to do The Chicken Dance….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

While they are Ohio cities, I don’t consider Cleveland (The Melt) or Cincinnati (Bakersfield and now The Eagle) to be “local.”

I think this is some pretty gray area when it comes to the local-versus-chain debate.

If you’re saying that Melt and Bakersfield should be shunned for not being located in Columbus, does that mean that a new Wendy’s or Victoria’s Secret in the Short North would get a pass because they’re locally based, even though they’re much larger companies than Melt or Bakersfield?

Rodgers
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodgers wrote:</div>
    While they are Ohio cities, I don’t consider Cleveland (The Melt) or Cincinnati (Bakersfield and now The Eagle) to be “local.”

I think this is some pretty gray area when it comes to the local-versus-chain debate.

If you’re saying that Melt and Bakersfield should be shunned for not being located in Columbus, does that mean that a new Wendy’s or Victoria’s Secret in the Short North would get a pass because they’re locally based, even though they’re much larger companies than Melt or Bakersfield?

I’m not saying that Melt or Bakersfield should be “shunned” (I’m not that hypocritical, as I have frequented both); I’m just stating that I’m disappointed that the area is gradually being occupied by an increasing number of businesses that are based outside Columbus. I prefer a Short North that showcases the best that Columbus has to offer in terms of arts and entertainment, but that’s just my “druthers”…

As far as the gray area is concerned, I suppose I can be more specific: I prefer locally-based businesses that further enhance the character of the area. What constitutes “further enhancement” to the area is going to be entirely subjective, but then again, my preference for locally-based businesses is, in large part, subjective, so there’s no point in debating that. :-)

Nancy H
    Participant

La Fogata server below average TexMex food in my opinion. They were good neighbors to the SNBA/SNA in that they let them use their upstairs space for the monthly business meetings. They were terrible neighbors to the nearby residents. They cranked up their music on the patio loud and late. I lost track of the number of times I called the CPD about the decibel level well past midnight.

La Fogata’s decision to close probably had more to do with lease length than price. That building came with the vacant lot where Parkside on Pearl will be built. The building La Fogata leased is non-contributing to say the least. The Wood Companies has several projects in the works right now. It would not surprise me to see plans for new construction at 790 N High in the next couple of years.

I for one would like to see more retail along High Street and businesses that cater to the local population. We already have plenty of bars/restaurants serving overpriced food, prepared by people with no culinary on sanitation training, being delivered by untrained servers. Some of the businesses we need in the SN are only going to come from regional or national chains. The days of start-up independent bookstores, hardware stores, and electronics are long gone. Would we turn up our noses if someone like Apple wanted to locate in the Short North?

CB_downtowner
    Participant

The food wasn’t good. But the atmosphere was nice. I just hope whatever gets that space makes good use of the patio. Columbus doesn’t have nearly enough big patio spots like that, let alone a walk-in patio. I just hope it doesn’t get replaced by some upscale spot where you have to order an expensive meal and a bottle of wine to access the patio. AT my age, even though I prefer those kinds of places more than La Fogata, I don’t think it’s as good of a fit for that area.

CbusBiz
    Participant

Walker, you ask the tough questions and you should absolutely be applauded for that. Bravo. I think too many people get way too worked up over local vs chain. I happen to love Bakersfield. Sure they have 4 locations scattered around the country but it doesn’t bother me one bit that one of my go-to restaurants in the Short North is owned by a group out of Cincy. Conversely if I lived elsewhere in the US and heard that a North Star Cafe was coming to my neighborhood, I would be over the moon. So I think one needs to think about the quality of the establishment before criticizing them for not being 100% local.

Let’s get real. This is Columbus, OH and not New York, Austin or New Orleans. We can’t expect all of the best restaurants in the city to be born and bred here. If we ultimately want quality, we’ve got to be ok with losing places like Betty’s and replacing them with Melt. LaFogata had deteriorated significantly in food quality and service, and now it seems we may be getting something better. It’s for the good of the community when we trade up for quality.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE