Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Eagle (Former La Fogata Space in The Short North)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author

Ndcent

Had dinner at the new La Fogata last night…it was great.
    The salsa was spicy and good, the chips were fresh.
    The menu is slightly more limited than the Pickerington location, only due to the smaller kitchen there, but all of my favorites made it over.
    I ordered the Chile Colorado, and it was exactly what I had hoped for. Everyone I was with enjoyed their dinners as well. Service was average/good. They were out of a few beers, but that’s to be expected with a new opening. My only real gripe was the size of the shots in the flights, they were tiny. But three full sized shots of Patron for $11? If it sounds too good to be true…
    The owner says they’re in the process of opening a third location at Polaris…but what’s really news is he says their patio design is complete and approved by the city and they’re just waiting for a few days come Feb/Mar where it’s constantly above 45F so the concrete will set to get the patio in the works.
    This patio, combined with their happy hour (M-F 4-7pm) is half price appetizers/drafts/wells, etc, and well…I predict this to be one of the most busy patios in the SN come spring/summer.

Daz
    Participant

I’m excited to hear about the patio. This place is like a quarter mile from where I live and the concept of happy hour that close gives me comfort like a warm blanket.

drew
    Participant

I was there last night too, and also thought it was pretty darned good. Got the Carnitas plate, and my companion and I enjoyed everything except for the scary guacamole… it was turning brown. We got there late, though, and probably got the guac 5 minutes before it was supposed to hit the trash.

luchobucho

Daz wrote I’m excited to hear about the patio. This place is like a quarter mile from where I live and the concept of happy hour that close gives me comfort like a warm blanket.

I thought you lived in Hililard?

Doh, its across the street from me. I am going to have a hard time avoiding it!

Aggggh

HeySquare
    Participant

Drew wrote I was there last night too, and also thought it was pretty darned good. Got the Carnitas plate, and my companion and I enjoyed everything except for the scary guacamole… it was turning brown. We got there late, though, and probably got the guac 5 minutes before it was supposed to hit the trash.

Guacamole tends to turn brown very quickly, kinda like apples. It doesn’t actually mean that it has gone bad… looks rather unappetizing, but really should not affect the taste that much.

luchobucho

HeySquare wrote

Drew wrote I was there last night too, and also thought it was pretty darned good. Got the Carnitas plate, and my companion and I enjoyed everything except for the scary guacamole… it was turning brown. We got there late, though, and probably got the guac 5 minutes before it was supposed to hit the trash.

Guacamole tends to turn brown very quickly, kinda like apples. It doesn’t actually mean that it has gone bad… looks rather unappetizing, but really should not affect the taste that much.

Someone told me that if you leave the avocado pit in it, it won’t turn as quickly…..any truth to that?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

The avocado pit theory always has worked for me. If I am storing uneaten avocado, I always keep the pit in the bag and it stays nice and green. I don’t know if it works with guacamole though. I usually put lots of lime juice in mine though and it keeps it from turning colors.

drew
    Participant

HeySquare wrote Guacamole tends to turn brown very quickly, kinda like apples. It doesn’t actually mean that it has gone bad… looks rather unappetizing, but really should not affect the taste that much.

True enough. Honestly, though, I didn’t think it tasted all that good- lots of avocado flavor, but not much seasoning. It was odd… the guac that came with my entree was completely different from what we ordered for the chips- it was fresh and had more flavor.

Anyhow, that’s small potatoes… I just ate my leftover carnitas, and it was tasty.

drew
    Participant

osulew wrote I usually put lots of lime juice in mine though and it keeps it from turning colors.

Yep, the citrus is the key… works for apples too.

Daz
    Participant

luchobucho wrote

Daz wrote I’m excited to hear about the patio. This place is like a quarter mile from where I live and the concept of happy hour that close gives me comfort like a warm blanket.

Aggggh

moved to the IV on Thanksgiving weekend

luchobucho

Daz wrote

luchobucho wrote

Aggggh

moved to the IV on Thanksgiving weekend

super duper, welcome to the ‘hood.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I stopped in tonight with a friend and we all thought the food was a little meh.

The chips were cold. Would have been better warm. The salsa was tasty though.

I had the enchiladas supreme. They were alright. I like the tri-color enchiladas at Cuco’s much much better. I think they’re cheaper there too.

I’d consider going back during the summer for the patio if that gets built. Otherwise, I’d probably just go somewhere else.

Going to have to agree with Walker on this one–I would definitely say the food was pretty meh. The service was weird, too: it wasn’t that full when we went, but we had about 17 different people taking our order, bringing out drinks, serving our food, checking to see if we were alright. It was nice to feel taken care of, but it made it difficult to tell who was actually our server.

Food was mediocre. I had the camarones al mojo de ajo (garlic shrimp) and I hate to say that El Vaquero may do this one better. My friend had what was described on the menu as “pork chunks.” Nothing should ever come in a “chunk” on a menu unless it’s a pineapple. His was meh, too.

I’ll give them another shot though, especially when the weather gets nicer and the patio is open.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

We went last night and really liked it. I had the chile verde which we both loved. BF had the chile colorado which he said was good, but I din’t taste because he also said it was really spicy. We sucked down a couple of yummy margaritas each. I had the desert pear flavor which was really yum. We’ll definitely go back, and I can’t wait for the spring and a patio at this place. Chips+salsa+sunshine+margaritas=super happy.

We went Friday and had apps, so didn’t really get a chance to have a full meal. I was pleased with the interior changes they made, which toned down the red. We also saw the plans for the patio which will look great and have plenty of seating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: