Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Near East Side Cooperative Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Near East Side Cooperative Market

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

THE NEAR EAST SIDE COOPERATIVE MARKET HAS A NEW HOME!

28 April 2013 by Nancy Colvin

The Near East Side Cooperative Market will be opening their much anticipated brick and mortar store on May 11th. The Co Op is setting up shop at 1117 Oak St., in the front portion of Oak Street Meats and Seafood through a partnership with owner, Allen Scott. The market will be open to the public Tuesdays through Sundays, and closed for restocking on Mondays.

READ MORE: http://www.oldetowneeast.org/the-near-east-side-cooperative-market-has-a-new-home/

News
    Participant

Near East Side Cooperative Market Celebrates With Grand Opening
    Published on August 9, 2013 1:30 pm
    By: Anne

The Near East Side has gotten a new fresh produce space and it is celebrating its grand opening on Saturday, as part of Local Foods Week. Local Matters opened the Near East Side Cooperative Market on May 17, 2013, sharing the 1,500 square-foot space that houses Oak Street Meat and Seafood.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/near-east-side-cooperative-market-celebrates-with-grand-opening

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This place is fantastic! The food is largely local and organic, and it’s reasonably priced. The meats at Oak Street are really high quality as well (although I haven’t been a big fan of the hot sandwiches).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I was quite impressed when stopping in this afternoon. I always thought the Seafood Shop was a bit stark. Having the rest of the space filled up really rounds it out. ;)

And I picked up a bag of coffee beans from Upper Cup while there! :D

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Hey everyone! People have been complaining for years about the lack of good food options in our neighborhood. Now we have it and no one is patronizing it! WTF?

They have a great selection considering the size of the shop, the prices are quite reasonable for organic/local, and you can get some of the best meats in the city there when the meat counter is also open. It’s centrally located and community owned.

WHY ARE WE NOT SUPPORTING THIS?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m supporting it?

Eugene_C
    Participant

Might be an image thing. When most people think of a cooperative market they probably picture a small, dark, cramped, store that smells like patchouli and where most of the products are in packaged in identical plastic boxes or bags with white labels. For the uninitiated it’s kind of disorienting. This place is pretty nice. They should market themselves more and find ways to remind people that they are there.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Someone suggested to me privately that the co-op hasn’t done well at making friends with the other businesses in the area –maybe even made some strides in the wrong direction. I don’t know much about that, but this is a great resource that it would be heartbreaking for the KLD to lose.

Given the quality of what’s available for sale there, it seems like the kind of place that a lot of people in the neighborhood would want to shop, if only they knew about it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    …it would be heartbreaking for the KLD to lose.

I think the location on Oak gives it better access to OTE residents than many KLD residents. I’m closer to The Hills Market (0.7 miles) than the Co-Op (1.1 miles).

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I was in the co-op recently. They have a new manager who was brought in to try to save the place from going under. She indicated to me that they need a substantial, immediate increase in foot traffic in order just to keep the doors open.

She said she’s making the following changes –increasing the stock, mixing in conventional with the organic (in order to better reach the immediate neighbors), and taking suggestions on what to stock.

I understand that there are some cons –the hours are limited, and the organics that they focus on are more expensive than conventional products. However, their merchandise is very high quality, and the prices are lower than most other places that stock comparable items. They are also really committed to bringing fresh healthy food options to a neighborhood that doesn’t have any.

Seriously everyone, I’m going to cry if this place shuts down. It seems like a natural fit for many people who are not currently shopping there –and remember, sometimes you have to make a few small sacrifices to support local options. Please come out and support the Near East Side Co-Op Market.

Walker said:
    I think the location on Oak gives it better access to OTE residents than many KLD residents. I’m closer to The Hills Market (0.7 miles) than the Co-Op (1.1 miles).

Not to pit the two against each other, but it’s cheaper than the Hills, and even more local (given that it’s a co-op). I think it’s worth the extra .4 miles if that’s what makes the difference.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    Not to pit the two against each other, but it’s cheaper than the Hills, and even more local (given that it’s a co-op). I think it’s worth the extra .4 miles if that’s what makes the difference.

Yes, Hills is a bit more expensive on some items, but I find myself stopping there more often because it’s on the way to/from work, which is doubly important if I’m walking, biking or busing.

Regardless, I hope the Near East Side Co-Op is able to find a way to make the model work.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:
    Hey everyone! People have been complaining for years about the lack of good food options in our neighborhood. Now we have it and no one is patronizing it! WTF?

They have a great selection considering the size of the shop, the prices are quite reasonable for organic/local, and you can get some of the best meats in the city there when the meat counter is also open. It’s centrally located and community owned.

WHY ARE WE NOT SUPPORTING THIS?

I’d like to be incentivized to shop there without being chided or yelled at.

Coy
    Participant

Snarf said:

LOL.
    Details?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It seems like traffic has really increased at the Co-op. Customers have even started driving in from outside the neighborhood. The new manager is doing a great job, and the selection has greatly increased.

We’ve committed to doing the major part of our weekly shopping there, and it seems like a number of other locals have as well. They are still on the bubble in terms of sustainability, but things are definitely on the up.

<cite>Snarf said:</cite><br>

LOL.<br>
    Details?

I think he meant my earlier post. As we all know, Snarf is very sensitive and his feelings are easily hurt!

News
    Participant

Near East Side Cooperative Market Relocating to Parsons Avenue
    February 24, 2015 7:00 am – Walker Evans

After a long search for a new home, the Near East Side Cooperative Market announced on Friday that it will be closing up shop at 1117 Oak Street this week to move just a couple of block west to 85 Parsons Avenue.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/near-east-side-cooperative-market-relocating-to-parsons-avenue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE