Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The More Than Music Festival, July 11-12

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals The More Than Music Festival, July 11-12

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Jed Haldeman

Will be at the Factory.

http://www.factorycolumbus.com

http://www.morethanmusic.org for details on who’ll be performing and spinning.

gazercmh
    Participant

so does everyone know the factory is closed and the festival has been cancelled?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

We have heard that….any idea why they closed??

ballbrite

This is what was in the Dispatch…no real info.

Music fest, venue up in air

Friday, July 11, 2003

Aaron Beck

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The 11 th annual More Than Music festival will not be held today and Saturday in the Factory, 382 W. Nationwide Blvd., in the Buggyworks building.

In an e-mail yesterday to news media and people on a guest list, festival publicist Peter Bottomley said, “The organizers of More Than Music festival have just been notified that the venue slated to host this year’s event has been closed. . . . It is unclear how many of the other artists in the original lineup will still play the festival on short notice.”

Factory co-owner Jeff Graham, who rents the space from Buggyworks owner Kyle Katz, delivered the news to festival promoter Mahssa Taghinia yesterday morning.

Calls to Katz and Graham weren’t immediately returned.

Taghinia, who said organizers have had a “verbal agreement” to hold the event in the Factory since January, said they had paid a rental fee. She would not specify the amount.

“We will be taking legal action,” she said.

“This is a very twisted thing. We were kept in the dark until this morning when they told me the locks on the doors had been changed. They also said the club’s liquor license was revoked earlier this week.”

At 6 last night, Taghinia was scrambling to find a venue in which more than 70 rock, hip-hop, electronica and dance-music groups from the across the country could perform. Many scheduled to perform today were in town yesterday.

The Factory — which, under different ownership, was the similarly styled rock and dance club Mekka from February 1998 to the fall of 1999 — opened with a concert by the electronica act Dirty Vegas in October.

Taghinia said http://www.morethanmusic.org will be regularly updated.

[email protected]

gazercmh
    Participant

donewating.com reported earlier this week that the factory would be closing because of financial problems, but said the More (or Less) Than Music festival would still happen. now they’re saying that one or two of the acts might play at skully’s tonight, but they didn’t say who.

if anyone runs into rjd2, you can tell him he’s welcome to come over to my place and work the decks tonight. i’ll offer up some fresh corn on the cob, picked just this morning and sold at the farmer’s market downtown :D

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ballbrite wrote We were kept in the dark until this morning when they told me the locks on the doors had been changed.

Wow. That’s really messed up. I don’t know why they’d wait until the last minute to inform everyone that they’re closed….

Jason Lemon Lyman
    Participant

I wonder if it had anything to do with Zoolu last weekend? I remeber the cops coming in and walking around, and heard some rumors that Status didn’t have an occupancy permit. But then they kept it open and people stayed in there all night.

Strange…

I guess we know why IndepenDANCE is being help at Red Zone huh?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I heard some of that stuff at Zoolu too, but I didn’t know what was rumor or what was truth… but yeah… either way, it sounds like a pretty messed up situation that it’s gotten a lot of people into…

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

ha! They always are…

ddavis

I just think it is sad for the club goers of Columbus. It was nice to have a few venue choices where you could listen to different locals or check out different national/global talent. With Red Zone/Long Street as the only real clubs left, are we all gonna have to give up and be assimilated into the drones who participate in RockStar nights?

Not that I don’t enjoy going to either Red Zone or Long Street, as long as it isn’t top40/hip hop cheese fest. What are we gonna have to do? Start making road trips to Cleveland, Chicago and New York?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Hopefully more people start realizing things like You Are House are around and go support them.

Jason Lemon Lyman
    Participant

Takin it back underground…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ddavis wrote With Red Zone/Long Street as the only real clubs left, are we all gonna have to give up and be assimilated into the drones who participate in RockStar nights?

Well, bringing in national/global talent is mainly up to promoters. I think that some who were pulling the talents in at the factory will pull them in for other places (redzone, etc), so there shouldn’t be too much worry on not having anything to do around here.

midislut

ditto to jason…..

let’s tally another one up for the shady club biz. :roll:

m

dejitaru
    Participant

shady indeed I was really looking forward to more than music, and the factory was a great place to feed my musical exploration needs. Who knows a couple months later it will open with another name as it has in the past, amnesia,glow,mekka,status, etc……. Anyhow its all about the music as long as that stays I dont care where its at ill be there. 8)

http://dejitaru.massive26.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: