Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The McRib is back

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The McRib is back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

alexs wrote >>

Gristle makes me gag, it’s one reason why I seldom buy ground meat. Hello, Chop-Rite #10.

As for the BBQ sauce, there are good local providers like CaJohn.

Damn that’s beautiful…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That’s lamb, so I guess that’s McKebab

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

The McRib is like the “Jersey Shore” of the food world. There’s no redeeming qualities to it and you feel so guilty eating/watching it, yet you just can’t stay away. (At least I can’t.)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

How to Make a McRib (Not for a Limited Time Only)
    PETER SMITH – Writer and editor
    November 11, 2010 • 9:00 am

Last week, McDonald’s rolled out the McRib, the elusive and experimental sandwich that’s been on and off the chain’s menu since 1981. One of the oddest things about the sandwich is its pork patty, which has mechanically pressed “ribs” that hardly look like they’ve come from a piglet (maybe a small cat or a ferret instead?).

So thankfully, Ryan Adams, who blogs at Nose to Tail at Home, has transformed the sandwich by substituting pork belly for those perplexing preformed pork patties. He also shows how to recreate the other basic ingredients—rolls, pickles, BBQ sauce, and pork belly—without visiting the drive-through or picking up frozen meat patties at Walmart.

READ MORE: http://www.good.is/post/how-to-make-a-mcrib-not-for-a-limited-time-only/

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

That guy doesn’t get it at all. “Hey everyone I edited Gigli to be a good movie! It’s a good movie now! Redubbed it and everything!”

You don’t become a legend by being “blindingly spectacular.”

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

“Hey do you like McRib sandwiches? Here’s a different sandwich that takes three hours to make and is twice as expensive!”

patient_zero
    Participant

The other gray meat is back. McDonalds advertised their McRib on 10TV today.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I remember a comment made by a BBQ expert from a history channel story on the history of BBQ. It went something like, “If someone asks what I think about McRib, I say ‘Faux-Q.'”

Rockmastermike
    Participant

the invention of the mcrib[/url]

In other words, the McRib, or at least the restructured meat products like it, consists of staples—or even specialties—of other cuisines. Take pig heart, for instance. If you’d like to cook it yourself, here’s a 1945 recipe from Gourmet: Coeur de Porc en Civet à la Pompadour, i.e. stewed pig’s heart à la Pompadour, or bopis, a Filipino pig heart recipe. These sorts of things being unappetizing to the American palate, they’re shredded and restructured into an obviously fake rib.

The funny thing about it is that everyone’s in on the joke. It’s clearly not a rib. Until I started reading up on it, I had no idea what was in a McRib. And I’m actually less grossed out by the concept now that I have a sense of what’s in it. Tripe? Ok, that’s cool. But ten years ago the idea of tripe would have made me queasy. I had to go all the way around and come back to accept the McRib.

patient_zero
    Participant

My local Meijer has a lot more selection of offal due to the growing Mexican community. They are heavily stocking tongue, tripe, heart, oxtails and even lamb heads now. Lamb heads! Those are probably popular with the Somalis.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

McRib sandwiches contain same ingredient as yoga mats, shoe soles

Attention: Your McRib sandwich is probably not good for your heart. It has 980 mg of sodium and 10 grams of saturated fat. But then we already knew that it wasn’t exactly health food.

According to Time’s healthland blog, that’s not all it has: The sandwich contains 70 other ingredients. And some of those ingredients, such as azodicarbonamide, ammonium sulfate and polysorbate 80 are kinda gross.

These components are in small enough quantities to be innocuous. But it’s still a little disconcerting to know that, for example, azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent that is most commonly used in the manufacture of foamed plastics like in gym mats and the soles of shoes, is found in the McRib bun. The compound is banned in Europe and Australia as a food additive. (England’s Health and Safety Executive classified it as a “respiratory sensitizer” that potentially contributes to asthma through occupational exposure.) The U.S. limits azodicarbonamide to 45 parts per million in commercial flour products, based on analysis of lab testing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

0Angle said:
    Now without lettuce!

Since the original video was never posted (and I only saw it today for the first time):

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I found some *actual* ribs on sale the other day and will be cooking them this afternoon. Most of the afternoon in fact. Afterward I might pop the bones out and put the meat on a bun. Maybe. I have not decided yet. If I do it will be 1000000000x as good as anything at McNasty’s and will cost a similar amount per serving.

You can have fast food, or you can have good food. Odds are you’re not going to get both at the same time, you gotta chose.

pez
    Participant

The McRib That Saved Christmas? McDonald’s Delays Return

If you’re counting the days until your next McDonald’s McRib fix, there is some bad news: fans of the cult favorite will need to wait until late December this year, according to a leaked memo.

The pork sandwich was originally expected to be sold from Oct. 22 through Nov. 11, but the popular limited-time product will be delayed to help boost sales at the end of the year, according to a memo from the McDonald’s Operators National Advertising Fund that was obtained by Ad Age. Unseasonably warm weather last December contributed to a 9.8-percent jump in McDonald’s U.S. same-stores last year.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49062304

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

today… and I still think it’s gross.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION