Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Kasich Governorship - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics The Kasich Governorship – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 2,023 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

bman wrote >>
    What was the quote Kasich used, calling the black caucus “you people”. As a gay person I despise being called “you people”. John Kasich may not think he is a racist but his actions are speaking pretty loud.

You have an actual quote for that, or are you just making it up as you go along?

Andrew Hall

berdawn wrote
    So all the issues that have been problems in other states that have privatized this function are going to part of ours. great.

I am not [i]a priori[/i] in disagreement with “Republicans, including Mark Kvamme, a venture capitalist from California brought in by Kasich to put together JobsOhio, argued that releasing too much information would make businesses reluctant to work with the state,” but it is the kind of thing for which I want some evidence.

I get that releasing proprietary info might be a deal breaker for a business, but the plan for JobsOhio is asking for black box administration of a billion dollars. Without some comparisons that states requiring disclosure lose out to those that don’t, I don’t think we should default against the principles of open government. I don’t trust the use of public monies without oversight, accountability and transparency with compelling reasons.

A.

berdawn

Andrew Hall wrote >>

berdawn wrote
    So all the issues that have been problems in other states that have privatized this function are going to part of ours. great.

I am not [i]a priori[/i] in disagreement with “Republicans, including Mark Kvamme, a venture capitalist from California brought in by Kasich to put together JobsOhio, argued that releasing too much information would make businesses reluctant to work with the state,” but it is the kind of thing for which I want some evidence.
    I get that releasing proprietary info might be a deal breaker for a business, but the plan for JobsOhio is asking for black box administration of a billion dollars. Without some comparisons that states requiring disclosure lose out to those that don’t, I don’t think we should default against the principles of open government. I don’t trust the use of public monies without oversight, accountability and transparency with compelling reasons.
    A.

the info they want to keep private has nothing to do with business practices or proprietary information: it’s shit that has been a problem in other states that have privatized this function–bonuses to staff, incentives to companies, and donations from companies to election campaigns.

Andrew Hall

berdawn the info they want to keep private has nothing to do with business practices or proprietary information: it’s shit that has been a problem in other states that have privatized this function–bonuses to staff, incentives to companies, and donations from companies to election campaigns.

I think there is a whole constellation of transparency issues. I was referring specifically to exempting this group from public-records and open-meetings laws. But I do agree with much of the rest – in particular, if a company is getting public money, then we ought to know what they are donating to election campaigns.

Bonuses, I can live with. If a staffer lands a billion dollar whale and gets a mill for doing so, the inevitable press reports will focus only on the latter.

A.

rustbelt
    Participant

[i]You have an actual quote for that, or are you just making it up as you go along?[/i]

Here’s [url=http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/01/27/story_kasich_diversity_.html?sid=102]news coveraqe[/url] of the dustup, with Kasich’s office confirming the account (although as “your” people, not “you” people. Not a difference, in my mind).

Of course, since Kasich thinks everyone in Ohio is an idiot but him, his office tries to deflect the controversy around it by saying he was referring to Democrats & not African-Americans.

C’mon, Governor! White guys have screwed up Ohio quite enough over the past several decades. Give others a shot.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

rustbelt wrote >>
    [i]You have an actual quote for that, or are you just making it up as you go along?[/i]
    Here’s [url=http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/01/27/story_kasich_diversity_.html?sid=102]news coveraqe[/url] of the dustup, with Kasich’s office confirming the account (although as “your” people, not “you” people. Not a difference, in my mind).
    Of course, since Kasich thinks everyone in Ohio is an idiot but him, his office tries to deflect the controversy around it by saying he was referring to Democrats & not African-Americans.
    C’mon, Governor! White guys have screwed up Ohio quite enough over the past several decades. Give others a shot.

I am happy with the new head of my agency. He may not be a person of color, but the new policies have made it easier to do my job and fix problems with files that, until 3 weeks ago, I had to let go up the next level.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

wow. your assumptions make you seem like the idiot…

and, according to that newsclip, it was Nina Turner who “confirmed” the account, not Kasich.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

did African Americans vote for Ken Blackwell,? Just wonderin…

rus
    rus
    Participant

rustbelt wrote >>

Nice. Vague enough that you can read “racist” into it, especially ( or only ) if you’re a democrat.

But this gets me:

[quote]Rep. Sandra Williams said minorities make up nearly 20 percent of the states population and that should be reflected in the governors office.

“That means whoever he has appointed already, feel the need to get rid of them if you need to. We want our fair share of the seats at the table,” said Williams.[/quote]

So, skin tone equates to “fair share” and there should be job quotas based on race. Really?

berdawn

Andrew Hall wrote >>

berdawn the info they want to keep private has nothing to do with business practices or proprietary information: it’s shit that has been a problem in other states that have privatized this function–bonuses to staff, incentives to companies, and donations from companies to election campaigns.

I think there is a whole constellation of transparency issues. I was referring specifically to exempting this group from public-records and open-meetings laws. But I do agree with much of the rest – in particular, if a company is getting public money, then we ought to know what they are donating to election campaigns.
    Bonuses, I can live with. If a staffer lands a billion dollar whale and gets a mill for doing so, the inevitable press reports will focus only on the latter.
    A.

Bonuses were just one of the issues cited as a problem in the other seven states surveyed and now, there is no public record of it. If a staffer lands a $200,000 deal, rather than a billion dollar deal and gets a mil for doing so, that’s not OK but within the current framework, could certainly happen.

ETA: this whole process smell like the Wire, to me.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    If we want to make a big deal about having no minorities in his cabinet, perhaps you should talk to the minorities who said “no”.

Note the phrasing in my post –he can’t find a single person of color [i]willing[/i] to serve with him.

I honestly didn’t think this was that big a deal until I found out –from rus’ post– that this is a situation we haven’t had in this state for 50 years. Fifty years of all white, mostly Republican governors, and not a single one of them before Kasich had an all-white cabinet?

I don’t think Kasich is a racist. But his own comments on this situation indicate that conditions of mutual respect do not exist between him and one single qualified person of color. Is it truly the case that no qualified persons of color live in this state, or is it that Kasich doesn’t have a good professional relationship with any of them?

rustbelt
    Participant

[i]…and, according to that newsclip, it was Nina Turner who “confirmed” the account, not Kasich.[/i]

From the article – “[b]The governor’s office said[/b] that Turner’s statement ‘I don’t need your people’ was a reference by Kasich to Democrats, and had nothing to do with race.

bman
    Participant

rus wrote >>

rustbelt wrote >>

Nice. Vague enough that you can read “racist” into it, especially ( or only ) if you’re a democrat.
    But this gets me:
    [quote]Rep. Sandra Williams said minorities make up nearly 20 percent of the states population and that should be reflected in the governors office.
    “That means whoever he has appointed already, feel the need to get rid of them if you need to. We want our fair share of the seats at the table,” said Williams.[/quote]
    So, skin tone equates to “fair share” and there should be job quotas based on race. Really?

Nice Rus … first I had to be a liar and just making up the comment now with the proof it is vague and you try to make the liberals look like the racist. Do you also try to make the person raped look guilty as well?

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

This thread may just do me in for CU-land…I cant wrap my head around how idiotic this is and that people are actually going along with it. If race was truly an issue for these legislators, they would hire at least 1 white staff member each b/c i am pretty sure their districts don’t consist of just blacks…

And know what? No, he doesnt need them (dems, not blacks), the Dems have done nothing but throw stones at a guy who has only been in office for LESS THAN 1 MONTH…

rus
    rus
    Participant

rustbelt wrote >>
    [i]…and, according to that newsclip, it was Nina Turner who “confirmed” the account, not Kasich.[/i]
    From the article – “[b]The governor’s office said[/b] that Turner’s statement ‘I don’t need your people’ was a reference by Kasich to Democrats, and had nothing to do with race.

If those democrats are in favor of race based job quotas ( illegal since 1978, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regents_of_the_University_of_California_v._Bakke ) then no, we don’t need those people.

Kinda like we don’t need KKK members either.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 2,023 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.