Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Kasich Governorship - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics The Kasich Governorship – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,023 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

A bit of googling “kasich environment” brings mixed results. He’s quick to blame OEPA for causing problems for business. The strongest reassuance I could find is a quote from him saying we should safeguard the world that God created for us, for future generations.

gramarye
    Participant

joev/thepiece:

The point you’re missing is that a government job is created at the expense of the private sector. The money to pay the salary and benefits of any government worker is taken from somewhere else in the economy–and those who are constantly hit in the wallet for more than they perceive themselves to be receiving in benefits from the state are the real ones who are likely to find ways to move out of state, not ones disgruntled at how un-hip the state is becoming.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I still can’t believe Ohio elected Garry Shandling as our governor. It may take me weeks just to get past that before I can even begin to digest the rest of the ridiculousness of his agenda.

@thepiece, you’re definitely not alone. VERY happy I didn’t plant roots here like I’d expected to do in the next year or 2 – start a business, buy property. The dream I have for my future doesn’t exist here now, but I thought we were in motion to get there. That momentum has stopped and with this administration-elect we’re going to be moving backwards. Do I alter my dreams or alter my address? That is the question and at 30 it sucks to feel in total limbo about that.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

pilsner
    Participant

Less than half of all registered voters showed up at the polls. And many people aren’t even registered. And that doesn’t even take into account all the people who are here without proper documentation for the benefit of illegal employers who pay people low wages.

I think we’d get much better government if everyone voted. Why not a state-wide ballot to enact small penalties for people who don’t vote?

Other countries such as Australia has this and no one thinks of it as a totalitarian regime. I think the penalty there is $40 for failing to vote.

Nitsfud, is this something Kasich would support?

rus
    rus
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I still can’t believe Ohio elected Garry Shandling as our governor. It may take me weeks just to get past that before I can even begin to digest the rest of the ridiculousness of his agenda.

@thepiece
    , you’re definitely not alone. VERY happy I didn’t plant roots here like I’d expected to do in the next year or 2 – start a business, buy property. The dream I have for my future doesn’t exist here now, but I thought we were in motion to get there. That momentum has stopped and with this administration-elect we’re going to be moving backwards. Do I alter my dreams or alter my address? That is the question and at 30 it sucks to feel in total limbo about that.

You sound like I did in 2008.

It gets better.

rus
    rus
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>

I think we’d get much better government if everyone voted.

Oh yeah?

http://www.tnr.com/blog/william-galston/78918/its-the-ideology-stupid-midterm-elections

If the 2010 electorate had perfectly reflected the voting-age population, it would actually have been a bit more conservative and less moderate than was the population that showed up at the polls.

Still think that?

Roland
    Participant

I wish the 3C, or so many other projects, weren’t such lightning rods for the Democrats or the Republican parties. If one party embraces something, it seems the other must oppose it.

How are we going to get anywhere like this?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I can’t believe Ohio elected a pro-business gun nut who refuses to raise taxes.

Oh wait, that was Strickland.

Really, here in Ohio, even the Democrats are Republicans.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Roland wrote >>
    I wish the 3C, or so many other projects, weren’t such lightning rods for the Democrats or the Republican parties. If one party embraces something, it seems the other must oppose it.

I notice the same thing.

somertimeoh
    Participant

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

@thepiece
    , you’re definitely not alone. VERY happy I didn’t plant roots here like I’d expected to do in the next year or 2 – start a business, buy property. The dream I have for my future doesn’t exist here now, but I thought we were in motion to get there. That momentum has stopped and with this administration-elect we’re going to be moving backwards. Do I alter my dreams or alter my address? That is the question and at 30 it sucks to feel in total limbo about that.

It gets better.

Because you realized Obama wasn’t the anti-Chirst the Republicans made him out to be? Kasich IS the real deal and my fear of him and his agenda is legit. His own words and ideas terrify me, not the liberal spin of them.

Tenzo
    Participant

ToddAnders wrote >>
    That being said, you can also tell Obama to stop campaigning, because that’s all he’s done for 2 years.

That’s what he does best and is best at.
    Seriously.
    The guy likes to give speaches and rally the people. He has always been great at that. He was amazing in Chicago.
    And he loves it. He is a fantastic crowd rallier.

That’s what he did for most of his career.
    I really don’t think that he actually likes being president. He likes the campaigning more.

pilsner
    Participant

I’m a liberal Democrat who isn’t crazy about the 3C rail line. It’ll probably be the only thing I agree with Kasich about.

pilsner
    Participant

ChrisSunami wrote >>
    I can’t believe Ohio elected a pro-business gun nut who refuses to raise taxes.
    Oh wait, that was Strickland.
    Really, here in Ohio, even the Democrats are Republicans.

Hah! Exactly but we still have Marcy Kaptur, Marcia Fudge, Sherrod Brown, Dennis Kucinich, Tim Ryan and Jennifer Brunner to be proud of.

rus
    rus
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

rus wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

@thepiece

It gets better.

Because you realized Obama wasn’t the anti-Chirst the Republicans made him out to be? Kasich IS the real deal and my fear of him and his agenda is legit. His own words and ideas terrify me, not the liberal spin of them.

Obama’s stated positions terrified me at one point. Then, he changed his positions.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,023 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: