Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Kasich Governorship - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics The Kasich Governorship – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,023 total)
  • Author

I can’t believe he’s really talking about shared services for the schools because its “business like”. I’ve yet to see a single study anywhere that shows this is a good idea, and the only actual results I can find from Jersey pretty much confirm it isn’t. I’m just now digging into the whole thing, but that’s what I’ve found out so far, anyone involved in education who knows more please fill me in!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>
    Edit: It’s important to note that Strickland was working hard to make our tax structure better for business too. These initiatives started with Jon Husted as Speaker (and Taft) and Strickland continued them.

yes. what he said.

With that said, the restructuring of the tax system also has to happen in the context of an expected $8 billion shortfall in the next state budget cycle.

Seems like cuts are inevitable, no matter who won the election.

With that said, the restructuring of the tax system also has to happen in the context of an expected $8 billion shortfall in the next state budget cycle.

Fixing 8 billion dollar budget deficit step one: Decrease revenue.

He plans to restore the income tax cut that was suspended by Gov. Strickland, but did not offer details on when or how it would occur.

ETA: We could just start calling it an 8.9 billion dollar budget deficit after the tax cut if its easier.

This is my problem with Kasich’s rhetoric so far, exactly this. I’m going to balance an 8 billion dollar deficit AND reduce taxes (eventually to zero)…I can’t tell you how…I just am.

I’m going to create more jobs…

+ Canceled 3C Project Jobs (less jobs)
    + Sharing administration for schools (less jobs)
    + Fire Department of Development (less jobs)

= more jobs.

The very few specifics he has provided accomplish exactly the opposite of his stated goals.

joev
    Participant

^I think the step you’re missing is “Steal Underpants.”

joev
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>
    Edit: It’s important to note that Strickland was working hard to make our tax structure better for business too. These initiatives started with Jon Husted as Speaker (and Taft) and Strickland continued them.

yes. what he said.

A responsible plan (like the one in the UK you pointed to in another thread) couples spending cuts with tax increases. But Kasich wants to cut his way to $8 billion, AND give people another income tax cut. We might have more money in our pockets for a year, but when the world crumbles around us, we’ll be paying even more in local taxes.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

yes. what he said.

A responsible plan (like the one in the UK you pointed to in another thread) couples spending cuts with tax increases. But Kasich wants to cut his way to $8 billion, AND give people another income tax cut. We might have more money in our pockets for a year, but when the world crumbles around us, we’ll be paying even more in local taxes.

Note that the restructuring of the tax system I mentioned is an ongoing bipartisan plan ( see Merc’s comment previously ).

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

One thing that immediately stood out in the new staffing appointments is the newly created Policy Director or whatever bullshit title it has.

1) Where is the need or justification for such a position? 2) For all the talk of cutting spending, how does adding the new salary ($80k+/year and benefits) into the mix help?

Interesting times ahead, for sure.

pilsner
    Participant

The Republicans will control all statewide offices and both chambers of the Statehouse so Kasich will get pretty much everything he wants.

thepiece
    Participant

So, Kasich was quoting saying these pearls of wisdom yesterday for a special paid luncheon he held (in today’s Dispatch). Quote in italics below. This is what drives me crazy about our electoral system, everyone takes it as a mandate to unilaterally do whatever they want. You won by less than 100,000 votes and less than half the state’s voters voted…don’t assume you have a mandate to dismantle our state government. Giving his tone below, good luck trying to advocate for anything in this state that isn’t a popular GOP idea. (3C included)

The rest of the article goes on for some gloating from our new legislators about how the real budget cuts are coming now, and then a statement about how schools should brace for a 10 to 15% cut in funding.
    (….disinvest in our schools, lay off teachers = jobs?) I can’t figure out that math.
    It’s almost as if the plan is to disinvest us into the ground.

This is going to be a long four years, I was surprised when my wife and I were commiserating this morning after reading this that we both had thoughts about us moving out of state…I don’t think that will happen, but if it entered our minds I can’t imagine other yp’s are not thinking the same thing.

“For those who are sitting in this room that think, ‘We’ve heard this before,’ I had 12 visits by a president, somewhere between

$45 (million) and $50 million (spent against him), 500 paid volunteers in here calling me every name in the book, former presidents, first ladies and God-knows-who-else, and we beat all of them,” Kasich said. “And if you think you’re going to stop us, you’re crazy. You will not stop us. We will beat you. And that’s not arrogance.”

joev
    Participant

thepiece wrote >> (….disinvest in our schools, lay off teachers = jobs?) I can’t figure out that math.

Cutting union jobs = Republican boners.

thepiece
    Participant

[i]joev wrote
    Cutting union jobs = Republican boners.<[/i]

Your right I didn’t factor that into the equation….that’s how he’s doing the math.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

thepiece: i was at that luncheon and felt inspired by what the Governor-elect had to say. I’m on the bus. Things need to be done, and John’s not afraid to do them.

SamuraiJack
    Participant

@thepiece Its not just you. I love my job, and probably couldn’t sell my house right now if I wanted to but given my chosen field (software QA) Washington state is starting to look sort of appealing..

KSquared

joev wrote >>
    ^I think the step you’re missing is “Steal Underpants.”

Perfect.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,023 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: