Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Kasich Governorship - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics The Kasich Governorship – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,023 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

With the election official over and news starting to come in on appointments and such, I figure it’s probably a good jumping off point for a new topic.

What’s Next For Governor-Elect John Kasich?

Kasich announced that his team will meet Wednesday with Governor Ted Strickland’s Chief of Staff John Haseley and Budget Director Pari Sabety to obtain the state’s most recent revenue and spending numbers.

Kasich said he intends to move fast and be ready to put together a biennial budge before the March 15 deadline.

READ MORE: http://www.wcmhblogs.com/ohiovotes/comments/whats_next_for_governor-elect_john_kasich/

Kasich names staff members

Business First – by Jeff Bell

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ohio Governor-elect John Kasich moved quickly Wednesday to launch his new administration, naming three people to key cabinet positions.

Less than 24 hours after defeating Democratic incumbent Ted Strickland by a 49-47 percent margin, the Westerville Republican said he and his staff are ready to begin the transition to the governor’s office.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2010/11/03/kasich-names-staff-members.html

Kasich makes first crucial appointments

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

BY MARK NIQUETTE

The Columbus Dispatch

Gov.-elect John Kasich named the first key personnel of his incoming administration today, and they plan to meet with Gov. Ted Strickland’s top officials Thursday to start work on the next two-year spending plan, expected to be one of the most difficult in generations.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/11/03/kasich-names-key-personnel.html?sid=101

Kasich has decades of political experience, with his business sense and Washington connections, if he can’t make positive changes in Ohio, then no one can.
    Strickland is a good man and was a good Governor, but, worldwide economic conditions were against him.
    With Kasich, Boehner and Portman in charge, Ohio has a great chance to succeed.

berdawn

RoundTowner wrote >>
    Kasich has decades of political experience, with his business sense and Washington connections, if he can’t make positive changes in Ohio, then no one can.
    Strickland is a good man and was a good Governor, but, worldwide economic conditions were against him.
    With Kasich, Boehner and Portman in charge, Ohio has a great chance to succeed.

thank you for that! I’ve stopped laughing, finally, but really, you made my afternoon.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Kasich going to northeast Ohio to meet with business
    Posted by Mark Niquette
    November 4, 2010

Gov.-elect John Kasich said he is headed to northeast Ohio this afternoon to meet with a large company that he has been told is considering leaving the state.

Kasich declined to name the company or provide other details, saying he wants to meet with the company and see if there is anything the state can do.

READ MORE: http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2010/11/kasich_goign_to_northeast_ohio_to_meet_with_business.shtml

coolbuckeye
    Participant

K the campaign is over. You don’t get to BS anymore. You have to actually govern. Governing is not like running a business. You cant fire your citizens. Oh and Kasich is going to have the same economic conditions that Strickland had if not worse. I really hope I am wrong but I don’t expect anything but failure from this administration. Good luck you’ll need it.

Charlie

It would be nice if we could define or measure why Ohio is a “horrible state for business” so 4 years from now we could honestly evaluate if this guy’s business sense is worth anything. Not sure how his “Washington connections” are going to bring more $$ and jobs than the 100’s millions that he already nixed for the railroad.

Charlie wrote >>
    It would be nice if we could define or measure why Ohio is a “horrible state for business” so 4 years from now we could honestly evaluate if this guy’s business sense is worth anything. Not sure how his “Washington connections” are going to bring more $$ and jobs than the 100’s millions that he already nixed for the railroad.

The railroad thing was a farce, the money didn’t even exist, it was just a political trick by Obama to make Strickland look good. As far as Kasichs Washington connections. Its still a good old boy world. His buddies scratch his back and he does theirs…for votes.

Mercurius
    Participant

Charlie wrote >>

Most Republicans seem to use The Tax Foundation as the metric of how we are doing.
    The Atlantic seems to agree:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/10/what-are-nevada-and-florida-doing-wrong/65333/

Kasich has already hinted that he will attempt to do away with the income tax and stop binding arbitration for local governments.[/url] Both should help move Ohio up the Tax Foundation’s list. The two main reasons we score low is that our average income is below the national average, so even if we pay the same taxes in Ohio, our “tax burden,” is higher. The second reason we are low on the list is we have relatively high local taxes. Allowing cities to do away with binding arbitration, while maybe bad for workers, should be good for city budgets – and allowing them to lower local taxes if possible.

Mercurius
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

Charlie wrote >>

Most Republicans seem to use The Tax Foundation as the metric of how we are doing.
    The Atlantic seems to agree:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2010/10/what-are-nevada-and-florida-doing-wrong/65333/
    Kasich has already hinted that he will attempt to do away with the income tax and stop binding arbitration for local governments.[/url] Both should help move Ohio up the Tax Foundation’s list. The two main reasons we score low is that our average income is below the national average, so even if we pay the same taxes in Ohio, our “tax burden,” is higher. The second reason we are low on the list is we have relatively high local taxes. Allowing cities to do away with binding arbitration, while maybe bad for workers, should be good for city budgets – and allowing them to lower local taxes if possible.

Edit: It’s important to note that Strickland was working hard to make our tax structure better for business too. These initiatives started with Jon Husted as Speaker (and Taft) and Strickland continued them.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    K the campaign is over. You don’t get to BS anymore. You have to actually govern. Governing is not like running a business. You cant fire your citizens. Oh and Kasich is going to have the same economic conditions that Strickland had if not worse. I really hope I am wrong but I don’t expect anything but failure from this administration. Good luck you’ll need it.

indeed. If anyone thinks he can change anything substantive, including the business regulation and tax policies which were mostly codified by his own party when they held dominance in the general assembly over the last 20 years, they are delusional.

He can fight the democrats all he wants, but the last administration was mostly following republican policy anyway with few changes. The major exception being an attempt to address the court rulings which found the school funding situation was unconstitutional, and even with that change state discretionary spending actually went down (it had to). Any attempt at making major changes (e.g. removing the income tax by repealing arithmetic) will likely be met with resistance from his own party as well as his opposition. And thus I expect not much will actually be changed and we will be forced to wait until the global economy stops taking a giant steaming dump on the midwest before anything will actually improve much.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

Edit: It’s important to note that Strickland was working hard to make our tax structure better for business too. These initiatives started with Jon Husted as Speaker (and Taft) and Strickland continued them.

yes. what he said.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

I’ll start this by saying I vote both Dems and Repubs.

That being said, you can also tell Obama to stop campaigning, because that’s all he’s done for 2 years.

Love him, or hate him, just like Obama, Kasich will make decisive decisions without regret. And yes, the train is dead. I’m all for great public transportation (Going to Chicago and never renting a car last week says it all!) and we have strides to come. But a slow ass train driving on proposed tracks that we have been told we will not be able to drive on does not make sense.

Now, I say screw those track owners and build a high speed track in the median of every publically owned freeway. And make that train 200mph. That’s a plan, not 1/2 baked.

anillo
    Participant

ToddAnders wrote >> Now, I say screw those track owners and build a high speed track in the median of every publically owned freeway. And make that train 200mph. That’s a plan, not 1/2 baked.

That’d be cool, but that would cost an INSANELY large amount of money.

Now, I say screw those track owners and build a high speed track in the median of every publically owned freeway. And make that train 200mph. That’s a plan, not 1/2 baked.

Absolutely. If its a plan good enough for no one else in the country, it clearly has to be really well thought out.

Mercurius
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Absolutely. If its a plan good enough for no one else in the country, it clearly has to be really well thought out.

If we are just masturbating towards the sky, I vote for maglev pneumatic tubes with individual transportation pods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,023 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: