Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Interview

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film The Interview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

In the action-comedy The Interview, Dave Skylark (James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapoport (Seth Rogen) run the popular celebrity tabloid TV show “Skylark Tonight.” When they discover that North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un is a fan of the show, they land an interview with him in an attempt to legitimize themselves as journalists. As Dave and Aaron prepare to travel to Pyongyang, their plans change when the CIA recruits them, perhaps the two least-qualified men imaginable, to assassinate Kim Jong-un.

News
    Participant

North Korea Threatens War Over New Seth Rogen Comedy
    by SCOTT NEUMAN
    June 25, 2014 8:49 PM ET

While it’s hard to imagine Seth Rogen and James Franco being the proximate cause of World War III, the stars of Pineapple Express have prompted the latest round of blustery threats from North Korea. Pyongyang has promised “merciless” retaliation if their latest comedy, The Interview is released as scheduled in October.

READ MORE: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/06/25/325646474/north-korea-threatens-war-over-new-seth-rogen-comedy

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Rival Studios Urge Theaters to Drop Sony’s “The Interview” Over Terror Threat
    December 17, 2014, 6:44 AM PST

Sony reportedly told exhibitors it will proceed with plans to distribute the film, but some major Hollywood studios are maneuvering behind the scenes to elbow “The Interview” out of theaters, according to people familiar with the situation. Memories of the 2012 shooting in Aurora, CO at a late night screening of Batman film “The Dark Knight Rises” still haunt Hollywood.

READ MORE: https://recode.net/2014/12/17/the-interview-new-york-premiere-canceled-as-exhibitors-re-evaluate-films-release/

————

New York premiere of ‘The Interview’ canceled
    Elizabeth Weise, Ann Oldenburg and Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY 6:09 a.m. EST December 17, 2014

The New York premiere of The Interview has been canceled in the wake of a threatening message posted Tuesday by the Sony hackers, Variety reported.

READ MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/12/16/sony-hackers-threaten-movie-theaters/20485591/

————–

Why Sony Pictures should release The Interview online
    By Bryan Bishop on December 17, 2014 10:00 am @bcbishop

It’s foolish for anybody — even the hackers themselves — to think that The Interview will simply disappear, or that a movie’s life begins and ends at your local multiplex. Things leak. They spread. A version of Kim Jong-un’s death scene is already out in the wild. So what Sony should really do is take the game online. Throw the movie up on iTunes and Amazon. Get crazy and give Crackle a shot. Take the threat of attacking theaters and diffuse it with the truth that the hackers don’t seem to understand: we live in a world where every living room, every computer, and every phone is a theater. And whether it’s leaked government documents or a goofy comedy from the Neighbors guy, nothing stays hidden for long.

READ MORE: http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/17/7407493/why-sony-pictures-should-release-the-interview-online

Graybeak
    Participant

Just got an alert on my phone from CNN about all the theater chains that will not be showing this film at all.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The studio has scrapped the theatrical release entirely, at least for the time being.

Sets a pretty scary precedent, giving in to insane, ridiculous threats.

For those who have watched it, this actually reminds me a lot of episode one of Black Mirror. Seems ridiculous, but it’s quite similar.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Totally agree Mister, really surprised to see the appeasement.

On a side note just happen to watch ep. 1 & 2 of Black Mirror last night, per your suggestion, and again I have to agree with you.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Why Sony Pictures should release The Interview online
    By Bryan Bishop on December 17, 2014 10:00 am @bcbishop

It’s foolish for anybody — even the hackers themselves — to think that The Interview will simply disappear, or that a movie’s life begins and ends at your local multiplex. Things leak. They spread. A version of Kim Jong-un’s death scene is already out in the wild. So what Sony should really do is take the game online. Throw the movie up on iTunes and Amazon. Get crazy and give Crackle a shot. Take the threat of attacking theaters and diffuse it with the truth that the hackers don’t seem to understand: we live in a world where every living room, every computer, and every phone is a theater. And whether it’s leaked government documents or a goofy comedy from the Neighbors guy, nothing stays hidden for long.

READ MORE: http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/17/7407493/why-sony-pictures-should-release-the-interview-online

Totally agree with this. Put it online. Unannounced. Let everyone watch it. Crisis diffused.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Leaked Emails: Sony Execs Scared of “Desperately Unfunny” Interview

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-emails-the-interview-sucked-for-sony-even-befor-1671234001

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

I keep thinking this is some intense viral marketing or The Producers-style scam..

SteveKZ087
    Participant

I keep thinking this is some intense viral marketing or The Producers-style scam..

If it’s not, someone in marketing should claim it was anyway. I literally had no interest in seeing this movie, and now I will stop at nothing until I get to see it :)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

World’s most powerful film critic…

geoyui
    Participant

Reminds me of when Comedy Central censored the South Park episode (making fun of Family Guy) that showed a depiction of Muhammad.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pretty awesome that the Alamo Drafthouse is showing Team America instead:

http://www.slashfilm.com/alamo-drafthouse-team-america-the-interview/

bjones7
    Participant

I think this is Bull Crap, that we are scared to show this movie. Does no one else? North Korea wins!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS