Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The I Discovered A Snack Thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The I Discovered A Snack Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 377 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

David Blaine approved!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yesterday I stopped in at the Al Safa market at Wilson and Trabue, for no reason more legitimate than I was at Wilson and Trabue. I tried a jar of a “garlic dip and spread” from Teta foods – I can’t find the same product on their site, but this is close:

http://www.tetafoods.com/shop/store.php?crn=223

The first ingredients are canola and olive oils, then garlic. It’s like a strong garlic mayo – it would be great on something like crab cakes, or french fries, or maybe as part of an egg or asparagus salad..

Then, under the California Garden brand, “green olives with chatta” – basically green olives w/pits, in a brine tinted red with pepper, but not much pepper heat. I might dose it with a sliced fresh hab or two.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

got a bag of these at Giant Eagle on 3rd. Not very good :(

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Dragonfly brand “pickled ground chilli w/garlic” is very nice. I can’t find a good image of the label.

The texture is like a dipping sauce, but it isn’t oily. The heat is maybe 7.5 on a scale of 10 and there’s a nice 3-way balance between pepper, garlic and salt. I was spooning it out of the jar before the rest of the soup was ready.

However, the Burmese kimchee was not a pleasant experience. It was mostly large shallots and pepper, and tasty, but it must have been fermented with some microflora that my gut didn’t recognize. Next morning I work up with hot and cold flashes at the same time (Linda basically said welcome to the club) and I had the shakes. After a brief event involving porcelain and nothing else solid, I felt better.

Me and these funky Asian pepper products, like a moth to the flame.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I went back to Al Safa. It turns out, they’re Moroccan. Moth to the Flame I got a bottle of ITN “red hot chili masala sauce” aka “rouge Piments Chauds”

Your search – “itn red hot chili” + masala – did not match any documents.

It’s like a harissa, salty and spicy at first, with a low, long-rumbling heat. I may spoon some on to the sliced leg of lamb I bought there.

Edited to add, this is what’s in the catsup squeeze bottles in Hell. Get used to it.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

These “salsa verde” Doritos. A+

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I wish there were real

SusanB
    Participant

I’ve been totally hooked on za’atar. It’s a roasted herb, salt and sesame mix that you add olive oil to and put on bread and other stuff. You can get at any Arabic food store. Za'atar on bread

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I miss being close to the market on Godown, where the pita bread was hot and steamy out of the oven.

I need to do something with this lamb that I bought. I think there will be rosemary, salt, pepper, and cast iron in my very near future.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I dunno if these are new but I’ve never seen them before today. Way better than Chex. Crunchier and has a slight sweet taste that pairs nicely with the cheddar seasoning.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

these are pretty tasty

cbuscbus
    Participant

So good.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I’m def gonna try to find those vestanpance

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m def gonna try to find those vestanpance

I got them at Kroger in Grandview… But i would guess it’s pretty common.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Fiesta Brand Pinto Seasoning, they nailed it. It’s perfect for a batch of beans, unless you prefer to add more heat.

https://www.fiestaspices.com/authentic-mexican/pinto-bean-seasoning/

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 377 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: