Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Hunger Games

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film The Hunger Games

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

So I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t read the books, but I’m not understanding the allure of this movie. My understanding is it’s about a future society where kids fight to the death in a reality TV show and we root for the protagonist (Kat or whoever) to beat everyone else. Why is this a kids or teens book? It seems really violent and to have Middle Schoolers flocking in droves to see the movie and read the book. Generally speaking it sounds like a book designed to make you feel like shit once you’ve read it anyway, like Brave New World but more depressing. Just not seeing why people love it so much. If I want a depressing read, I’ll learn about the Bataan Death March or something.

paktinat

They sure made Peeta look like a punk compared to the books.
    Also completely writing out Madge and having Katniss come across the mockingjay pin by chance at a flee market was pretty stupid.

I would not recommend it.

Thanks for the passes though!

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I never read the book but could tell they must be good.. it was a cool story/concept. They just did a really shitty job telling it. As a futuristic sci-fi movie I thought it was similar in style/feel to, but behind, something like the fifth element from 15 years ago. At least until the games started..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I finally got around to watching this over the weekend. We had to split it up over two days, partly because Netflix decided to stop working on Saturday night and partly because the movie was so super long.

Having not read the books, and not really knowing much about the movie either, we both enjoyed it enough as an action/popcorn movie. We were a little weirded out by the PG-13 rating (and that it’s based on teen novels) for such an adult concept, but there was practically no swearing, and most of the deaths were kept pretty minimal and bloodless.

All in all, I’d give it a solid B. Worth a Netflix viewing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Battle Royale is at The Gateway tonight! ;)

Far Out Films from the Far East Invade Gateway

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Although I’m not a big fan of violence, I enjoyed both the book and the movie. Jennifer Lawrence is great, which was enough to make the movie watchable, even though it was much clunkier than the book.

What made both the movie and the book important, in my mind, was the underlying social commentary about how the wealthy –i.e. us –live on the backs of the poor. It’s an important reality to learn, and there’s not a lot in children’s literature that addresses that issue.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne and I watched Catching Fire over the holiday weekend and I’d say I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the first. The first movie/book spent a lot of time world building, which was only moderately interesting, but the second spends a lot more time slowly exposing the holes in the system and starts to rip things apart at the seams by the end. It was a little predictable along the way (for people who haven’t read the books) but still enjoyable IMHO.

Spoilers!

When the dome began to collapse at the end, I was immediately reminded of parts of Portal 1 and Portal 2. And you realize the real story is about to begin.

Looking forward to what comes next.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just for reference… Portal 1 & Portal 2 are *highly* recommended games for people who don’t play games. ;)

bjones7
    Participant

Not sure how they are going to replace Phillip Seymour Hoffman who played Plutarch after his death from a OD. http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/02/02/phillip-seymour-hoffman-dead-apparent-overdose

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Still haven’t watched it although I do like the idea of teenagers fighting to the death :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: