Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Hills Market Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Hills Market Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 148 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I thought the produce was nice, and a good selection of local stuff. Some of the prices were pretty stupidly high, but I guess they don’t get the deals the big box places do on name brand typical stuff like that. I’ll stick to Kroger for most shopping I think..

bucki12

I think most people can find an item or two that would get their business. That said, it isn’t a grocery targeted at everyone. It is a specialty gourmet market aimed at a specific niche of consumers. You could do all of your shopping there if you decide the convenience justifies the premium and to some it will. Otherwise, there are multiple grocery options within a short drive. There is enough room for a local gourmet market imho.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We stopped in tonight to pick up some sushi for dinner and a few other odds and ends. Certain things are priced quite reasonably. Happy to see the market pretty busy as well. Ran into at 4 or 5 people while there as well (which honestly seems to happen every time we go to the Brewery District Kroger too). ;)

mbeaumont
    Participant

So you’re the reason there was hardly any sushi when we were there. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mbeaumont said:
    So you’re the reason there was hardly any sushi when we were there. ;)

Heh. We had pretty slim pickins by 5pm. I imagine a lot of it was bought up around lunchtime.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    Heh. We had pretty slim pickins by 5pm. I imagine a lot of it was bought up around lunchtime.

They should pick up the sushi woman from Main/Alum Creek Kroger. She is forever banging the “sushi” out and encouraging “try try.” Ugh, neon color sauced crunchy chewy slimy something sushi.

zachgs
    Participant

Checked it out Friday night for some of their reay made items and came back today for a normal grocery visit.

I love the layout. The isles are tight but its a necessary trade off to fit as much selection as they were able too. Outside of the aisles the store never feels cramped. As someone who would previously drive to UA for Whole Foods or Market District, this is exactly what downtown needed! I can now walk less than half a mile and get 95% of my shopping done.

My only complaint so far is that the convenience ready made items seem to go fast like the pizzas, rotisserie chickens, etc

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I suspect they will adjust the amount of ready-made items they’ve got as they figure out the demand levels from their new customers…

Twixlen
    Participant

MichaelC said:
    I suspect they will adjust the amount of ready-made items they’ve got as they figure out the demand levels from their new customers…

This – I am sure there will be changes in stock as they get feedback & figure out exactly who is shopping here & for what. I’ve been a couple times now, and love it. I’m totally going to get my seafood card (I think it’s 4 purchases at regular price, 5th is 50% off), and am looking forward to trying out all the various prepared foods.

They’re carrying RogueBakery cookies in 2 packs, FYI, if you need a cornflake cookie fix not on Sunday.

Also, I haven’t had the pizza from this store, but the Hill’s in Worthington has pretty damn good pizza – the dough is made by them, I do believe.

The Hills Market Downtown closed up shop today at 2 p.m. so we can have a staff meeting and training prior to our Grand Opening. Come visit us a noon tomorrow for our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and Ohio Market Day. (Free samples of Ohio products!)

Graybeak
    Participant

I stopped by about 11 and picked up a tasty salad from their salad bar. I am happy to have them in the area, and look forward to many years of tasty lunches.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

1. The bag thing is awesome. Bought a 30 dollar bag, but with the 20% I got off my groceries it was free. Being able to come in every Monday and fill it up for 20% off is crazy.

2. Snowville Creamery coffee and cardamom yogurt is just silly good.

bucki12

I have dropped by at lunch regularly to pick up a few items here and there. My one issue of late is they seem to have gotten lax at pricing items. I hate having to hunt someone down for a price or worse yet get a surprise at the register.

surber17
    Participant

@core – totally agree the bag is worth it! We get groceries there every Monday now

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    1. The bag thing is awesome. Bought a 30 dollar bag, but with the 20% I got off my groceries it was free. Being able to come in every Monday and fill it up for 20% off is crazy.

Wait, so it’s 20% off every Monday with that bag? I thought it was just 20% off for the day that you buy the bag?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 148 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: