Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Hills Market Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping The Hills Market Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think the new Turkey Hill is doing a damn fine job as a market for Near East-siders.

I’d think a downtown one would be a hit.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:
    I think the new Turkey Hill is doing a damn fine job as a market for Near East-siders. I’d think a downtown one would be a hit.

I’ve not been inside it yet. Does it offer anything special outside of the usual convenience store selection?

Downtown already has several convenience stores without the gas stations attached, and they seem to do ok.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’ve not been inside it yet. Does it offer anything special outside of the usual convenience store selection?

Downtown already has several convenience stores without the gas stations attached, and they seem to do ok.

Yes they recently expanded it and have basically a mini grocery store inside complete with 1/4 size aisles, plenty of fresh produce, fresh meat, etc. Then on top of that they have some good take-out food options from the cafe, chicken, mac and cheese, etc.

My younger brother in law and his friends live on Franklin Park and they basically live there and do all their grocery shopping there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, nice. Will have to stop in sometime soon then to check it out. It’s probably about the same distance for us to go to the Brewery District Kroger, but we’re occasionally driving by it, so good to know there’s more in there than chips and beer. ;)

cc

^It might be nice to have a couple of these sprinkled around downtown. They are more like mini-groceries than your typical convenience store.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Would be nice to have several spread throughout downtown, but I guess there aren’t enough people for that yet. But right now it looks like most people have something within a 10 minute walk and several options within a 10 minute bike ride/drive.

Plus, it looks like the current Hills Market does delivery. $5 charge for zip codes close to it. Assuming the new location will also deliver, anyone downtown could pick out their stuff online and have it delivered for about the same price that a bus ride there and back would cost.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NerosNeptune said:
    It looks like the current Hills Market does delivery. $5 charge for zip codes close to it. Assuming the new location will also deliver, anyone downtown could pick out their stuff online and have it delivered for about the same price that a bus ride there and back would cost.

Yep! From the original article: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-hills-market-to-open-downtown-grocery-store-in-spring-2012

The new store will also offer catering from Hills Own Catering Shoppe and grocery delivery from http://www.hillsonthego.com which will service customers in other parts of the city.

leftovers

NerosNeptune said:
    Plus, it looks like the current Hills Market does delivery. $5 charge for zip codes close to it. Assuming the new location will also deliver, anyone downtown could pick out their stuff online and have it delivered for about the same price that a bus ride there and back would cost.

You have to be careful with that, Hillsonthego also charges more for items than you would pay as a regular shopper. The difference is not just the delivery fee. It can add up quickly.

there is a little more info here:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/hills-market-launches-online-ordering-delivery

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

leftovers said:
    You have to be careful with that, Hillsonthego also charges more for items than you would pay as a regular shopper. The difference is not just the delivery fee. It can add up quickly.

there is a little more info here:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/hills-market-launches-online-ordering-delivery

I don’t find this to be true at all. If you shop the perimeter of Hills Market, they really have pretty great prices for the quality of the product they sell. The produce, meat, cheese, etc are a really good value for what you’re getting. I actually find the produce to be cheaper at times that what I find at the ol’ neighborhood Bag n’ Drag. Of course you can find $10 jars of mustard and the like, but their fresh items are a pretty good deal.

cbus11

Hill’s has great value for the quality of its meats, cheeses, produce and in house prepared items. As someone said in the other thread, if you are shopping there for processed non-local items (ie Captain Crunch, Campbells soup, Jiffy Peanut Butter, etc) you are doing it wrong.

@leftovers – I think the in store price of items (Hills Market) is the same price as they charge online (Hillsonthego) but I am not certain.

News
    Participant

Downtown Hills Market passes design regulator test
    Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 2:51pm EST
    Staff reporter – Business First

Plans for a Hills Market grocery store in urban Columbus advanced Tuesday, when the city’s Downtown Commission approved plans to turn the former Wilson’s Auto Service repair garage into an 11,600-square-foot store.

Construction on the specialty market at 95 N. Grant Ave. is scheduled to begin in late December or early January with an expected opening in April.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/11/29/downtown-columbus-hills-store-passes.html

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

The Hills Market Downtown has a sweet new logo and a facebook fan page. Do you like it yet?

Check out the before pics on the fan page!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! And yeah… those photos are cool!

Twixlen
    Participant

I seriously love the old exposed-rafter ceilings that are in so many of the commercial warehouse buildings around Columbus. Man, that’s a good looking space!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It reminds me of the interior of the current MORPC location.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: