Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Happiest (and Most Miserable) Cities in America

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Happiest (and Most Miserable) Cities in America

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I saw this ‘article’ on MSN yesterday, and the click bait overcame me, so I had to take a look.

Somehow Columbus managed to pop up in the top 10 most miserable cities in the US along with the half of Ohio, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-happiest-and-most-miserable-cities-in-america/ss-AAb0QdK

Thoughts?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The more ridiculous, the more clicks for clickbait.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Yep. Unfortunately, it’s still out there for everyone to see.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

It is.

But so are many other wonderful articles that accurately reflect that Columbus is and is becoming.

I hear ya, but we’re not going to get unanimous praise as our city evolves.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Methodology
    These data are based on 176,702 interviews with U.S. adults across all 50 states, conducted from January 2 to December 30, 2014. Gallup conducts 500 telephone
    interviews a day with American adults, for a resulting sample that projects to an estimated 95 percent of all U.S. adults. The Well-Being Index is calculated on a
    scale of 0 to 100, where zero represents the lowest possible well-being and 100 represents the highest possible well-being. Ranking is based on the 100 largest U.S.
    communities by population size (U.S. Census data, 2013). The communities presented in this analysis are Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) as defined by the
    U.S. Office of Management and Budget. Each community has a minimum of 300 interviews. Visit wbi.healthways.com to learn more.

Here’s your very large grain of salt – this is based on 300 people in Columbus who have landlines and like to take surveys.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But so are many other wonderful articles that accurately reflect that Columbus is and is becoming.

Columbus mentioned in an Atlantic article on Sunday as a city with a successfully transformed Downtown:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/04/on-the-making-of-downtowns-from-fresno-to-seattle-to-shanghai/390873/

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Somehow Columbus managed to pop up in the top 10 most miserable cities in the US along with the half of Ohio, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Something that’s really become clear in some of these articles is Columbus is a tale of two cities –one that is prosperous and booming, and one that is trapped in desperate poverty. I’m not sure how the gap got so wide here in particular, but it’s something that clearly needs to be addressed.

joev
    Participant

It is folly to take any lesson at all from listicles like this.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>
    Somehow Columbus managed to pop up in the top 10 most miserable cities in the US along with the half of Ohio, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.<br>
    …<br>
    Thoughts?

Something that’s really become clear in some of these articles is Columbus is a tale of two cities –one that is prosperous and booming, and one that is trapped in desperate poverty. I’m not sure how the gap got so wide here in particular, but it’s something that clearly needs to be addressed.

Amen to that!

jackoh
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>
    Somehow Columbus managed to pop up in the top 10 most miserable cities in the US along with the half of Ohio, which I thought was pretty ridiculous.<br>
    …<br>
    Thoughts?

This is true of almost every major city in the US; and it is true of the nation as a whole. Columbus is no different (or exceptional) in this regard.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It is folly to take any lesson at all from listicles like this.

Well, it’s more than just the listicle. When I do my Monday night program at the church –where, for the record, we serve as many white kids who are below the poverty line as black kids* –we hear terrible stories from the kids. In just the past year I’ve heard stories from kids who are homeless and/or living in a relative’s truck, kids whose parents are dying in their 30’s and 40’s, kids whose parents have untreated mental conditions, kids whose parents or older siblings have died of overdoses and kids (again, white as well as black) who are dealing drugs or fighting off addictions by age 14.

Then, drive less than a mile north, and you’re in front of a new full-facility luxury gym.

I want to be clear, I’m a big fan of all the progress in the center city, and the south side in particular desperately needs all the new development. But clearly this rising tide is not lifting all boats…

* I’m including this particular disclaimer for the benefit of rus, jeep girl and the other Friends of Whiteness on the boards

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I agree that it’s a huge problem, but it’s assuredly a local problem occurring nationally. That is not a way of minimizing it, but it’s certainly not particularly present or bad in Columbus.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

I agree that it’s a huge problem, but it’s assuredly a local problem occurring nationally. That is not a way of minimizing it, but it’s certainly not particularly present or bad in Columbus.

Didn’t a recent study show that it is particularly present and bad in Columbus?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Didn’t a recent study show that it is particularly present and bad in Columbus?

Yes, I was remembering that too: https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/columbus-among-worst-cities-in-the-nation-in-income-mobility

However, in all fairness, when I just did a search on cities with the highest rates of inequality, I didn’t see us included on anyone else’s list.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Gotta cash in on the ad revenue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION