Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Great Food Truck Race - Food Network 8/15

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV The Great Food Truck Race – Food Network 8/15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

The Great Food Truck Race, hosted by Tyler Florence, begins this Sunday 8/15 at 9:00pm.

I have no expectations yet, but I’m looking forward to this new series. This is probably Tyler’s debut in reality TV ala Food Network, as his other appearances have been solo cooking shows.

Is anyone else going to tune in?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-great-food-truck-race/index.html

xt_truck-nana-queens_s4x3_lg.jpg

yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

thanks for the info….i’ll set up my Tivo for it!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Does that say pudding AND wings?!?

racheltb
    Participant

Believe it says puddin’ and wings….whatever that is.

Food carts are so successful elsewhere in the world and I’m happy they are getting their due here in the US. I hope he visits out fair city with the plethora of street food options here!

artbomb112
    Participant

Tune in and root Ohio boys (and my close friends) Ryan Harkins and Matt Chernus in the Grill Em’ All truck.

These dudes told our friend Anthony Bourdain that he isn’t anything special… and that Ohio rules.

I’m stoked to see them take on the other trucks and I hope they win it!

patient_zero
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Does that say pudding AND wings?!?

From the “meet the teams” section on the website:

Nana Queens

Culver City, Calif. — Nana Queens, established by Janel Prator, began as a way to impress co-workers after experimenting with banana pudding. Teaming up with her sister, Shanel Prator, and hometown friend Rick Wilson, the Nana Queens combine savory and sweet, serving various flavors of pudding and wings on wheels. Having overcome many obstacles in their pasts, these sisters know the competition is “puddin'” in their hands.

Read more about the other teams here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-great-food-truck-race-team-bios/index.html

@yurtgirl – My DVR is set as well!

@rachel – The food scene is looking better every month here, and I’m thankful for all our food artists, wherever they may be. If the food vendors are treated with respect, I’d love for Tyler and the Food Network to come here too. We’ll have an idea after the first season.

@artbomb – Oh yeah, I wish them the best. I found this on their website: The two have been allies and band mates for over twenty years. Ryan has paid his dues as a veteran of professional kitchens for over a decade strong, having worked in Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. The combination of his fine dining background and strong Midwestern roots has left him with the desire to place a gourmet take on his first love, the hamburger.

http://www.grillemalltruck.com/about.php

I am tuning into this one. I haven’t been much into reality tv since the 1st season of Rocco Dispirito’s “The Restaurant” years ago. This is right up my alley!! In fact, we got nominated for Season 2 and you can vote for us at their website.

artbomb112
    Participant

Well… if I can attest to anything… its that the Grill Em All truck will be entertaining to watch. Ryan was made for reality TV for sure. He is hilarious and has always made weird food concoctions for as long as I can remember. Just about every German Village restaurant saw him working there from 2000-2003.

These are the days I wish I had cable. Hopefully I can find it streaming online.

artbomb112 wrote >>
    Well… if I can attest to anything… its that the Grill Em All truck will be entertaining to watch.

Love the pro-wrestling stuff. I’d order a Samoa Joe

A.

linnea89

If anyone would like to see a real Food Truck on wheels… this is the one…

MobilePizzaUnit.com

Combining a FIRETRUCK + PIZZA…

Not only do we cater delicious gourmet pizza off our Firetruck, we entertain our guests as well. While the pizzas are being served off our ladder rack buffett table, we have a photo booth set up in one of our jumper seats with real fire equipment to try on, a kid friendly control panel for your imagination, an aerial webcam providing a local live web angel of your party, draft beer taps located on side and front of truck, and the ultimate outdoor Bose soundsystem that usually plays Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville satellite radio. This is one of the craziest yet best Food Trucks in the country! We also support our environment by running our Firetruck on biodiesel, charging our house battery with a Solar Panel (250 watts per hour!), and only using 100% recycled pizza boxes, eco-friendly plates, napkins and cups. The concept was created by Christopher Owens of Pizzetta Co. in downtown Mystic, CT.

Make sure to check it out!

Love,
    Linnea

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

linnea89 wrote >>

When will you be in Columbus?

patient_zero
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

linnea89 wrote >>

When will you be in Columbus?

Yeah, bring that truck here. That looks like a lot of fun in one truck, too much to keep it in Mystic. :]

dirtgirl
    Participant

What did everyone think?

I was pretty happy to see pudding and wings eliminated. Maybe it’s just me, but that is not a very appealing food combo. But I’ll be really happy to see burger-on-grilled-cheese-bun guys go next. Food trucks should bring us interesting food, not more disgusting stunt food like you get at the state fair.

I was a big fan of the NomNom kids. I’m cautiously optimistic about their ability to convince folks in the BBQ belt to to try vietnamese sandwiches, but they seem to be computer-savvy enough to do their homework and find the right spots to set up in the towns they visit.

I’m also glad that the competition was based not only on food quality but also business acumen. Letting competitors keep their laptops and phones and do research from the road was brilliant. I hate reality competitions that cripple the teams and make them all fight it out on the same street corner.

dirtgirl wrote >>
    What did everyone think?
    I was pretty happy to see pudding and wings eliminated. Maybe it’s just me, but that is not a very appealing food combo. But I’ll be really happy to see burger-on-grilled-cheese-bun guys go next. Food trucks should bring us interesting food, not more disgusting stunt food like you get at the state fair.

if you check out grill em all’s menu, you’ll see that they are offering all sorts of gourmet burgers in addition to the “disgusting stunt food”. Those guys have been killing it in LA for a while now, and only use fresh meat, and make everything to order. What’s wrong with having a little fun. honestly, I’ll be happy to see the french cuisine guys go. here are some of the burgs from grill em all’s menu.

‘molly hatchet’
    seared fennel smoked sausage gravy, apple wood smoked bacon, maple drizzle

‘waste ’em all’
    marinated green chilies, pepper jack, beer soaked onions

‘behemoth’
    grilled cheese buns, smoked cheddar, apple wood smoked bacon, beer soaked onions

‘blue cheer’
    cranberry gastrique, maytag blue spread, munchos potato chips

‘samoa joe’
    cheddar, beer soaked onions, bbq, pineapple

(all burgers available as veggie $1 extra)

I would love to see ryan and the boys win this whole thing, I think that the farther they get into the midwest, the more appealing that “stunt food” will be to the customers.

dirtgirl
    Participant

sean2outerspace wrote >>

dirtgirl wrote >>
    What did everyone think?
    But I’ll be really happy to see burger-on-grilled-cheese-bun guys go next. Food trucks should bring us interesting food, not more disgusting stunt food like you get at the state fair.

if you check out grill em all’s menu, you’ll see that they are offering all sorts of gourmet burgers in addition to the “disgusting stunt food”. Those guys have been killing it in LA for a while now, and only use fresh meat, and make everything to order. What’s wrong with having a little fun. honestly, I’ll be happy to see the french cuisine guys go. here are some of the burgs from grill em all’s menu.
    ‘molly hatchet’
    seared fennel smoked sausage gravy, apple wood smoked bacon, maple drizzle
    ‘waste ’em all’
    marinated green chilies, pepper jack, beer soaked onions
    ‘behemoth’
    grilled cheese buns, smoked cheddar, apple wood smoked bacon, beer soaked onions
    ‘blue cheer’
    cranberry gastrique, maytag blue spread, munchos potato chips
    ‘samoa joe’
    cheddar, beer soaked onions, bbq, pineapple
    (all burgers available as veggie $1 extra)

that menu sounds awesome. It figures the editors played up the silliest item.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE