Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

600 Goodale - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 600 Goodale – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

I think it all depends upon infrastructure changes. slow down the traffic and widen the sidewalks and I would love to live there. Arena Crossing has a train that comes by and rattles the windows and that place is 98% full all year round

columbusmike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    ??…..almost every development of this size proposed or under constuction are in the Short North, downtown or Grandview Yard, all of which are walkable (or currently semi-walkable for the latter) and considered neighborhoods…..or am I reading you wrong.

My point was that A) a residential community of this scale and price range should be within walking distance of more amenities and have that ambiance that comes with being within a neighborhood and B) in my opinion as an appraiser, the highest and best use of this site would have been for an office building given the exposure to the highway and various easy access points. Plus, office workers don’t really care about that constant hum of traffic whereas someone who is paying or thinking of paying good money for an apt. here will. It just looks really out of place to me.

The design does look great and I wish for more modern architecture in a city that severely lacks it. I hope they do well.

I guess I was thinking of all the Edwards-like apartment developments. I think this has more of that feel rather than, say, the Abigail or Flats on Vine (however, I have gripes about that project).

I agree with both your points, A and B. I find it an odd use of the site too. However, kudos for them developing the project, but I could see this residential project doing much better on Spring Street, near COSI, or somewhere not smothered by train tracks, busy streets, and highways.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    I’m still shocked a project like this is being built at this location.

Are you saying you’d rather see some other use of that site (commercial? industrial?) rather than residential?

Because otherwise if you’re just saying that you’d rather see it some other location of choice, then you’re getting into SimCity territory. ;)

anillo
    Participant

I think the trains would be more of an issue than the highways. I live about 100 yards from a very busy highway, and the constant background noise is rather soothing, and not invasive at all.

misskitty
    Participant

I agree I think the biggest issue is the trains. It may not even be an issue because I am not sure how loud they are from right there. I live near West Broad and I can hear the Vallyview train loud and clear in the middle of the night which leaves me wondering how the hell the people living next to the tracks can stand it.? I know after a while some sounds just blend into the back ground but that track line is crazy loud.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Walker said:
    Are you saying you’d rather see some other use of that site (commercial? industrial?) rather than residential?

Because otherwise if you’re just saying that you’d rather see it some other location of choice, then you’re getting into SimCity territory. ;)

There is nothing wrong with SimCity :) and you’ve been using that line a lot latey…

mrpoppinzs

I don’t think this is anymore isolated than something like the Watermark apartments down the street. This has the advantage of probably being in the city’s eye for infrastructure improvement (biking & walking) between the new Grandview developments and the AD.

swinzo1010
    Participant

I’m pretty sure there is a plan to connect the Olentangy bike trail to Goodale at some point. I can’t remember where I saw it though…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    There is nothing wrong with SimCity :) and you’ve been using that line a lot latey…

Sim City is a great game. But it’s not reality.

It’s a nice thing to say that it would be cool to see one building moved to another area, but that’s a make believe scenario and does nothing to further realistic discussion on a topic.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Construction has begun, if you haven’t already noticed. More photos, here:

Construction Roundup — July 2012

surber17
    Participant

Steel is going up there now too. I’m hoping to grab some pics this afternoon.

surber17
    Participant

There is a new trail by this, I can’t remember exactly what it is called but its like the “Riverside Railroad Trail” or something like that. Has anyone else seen this or know more about it?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

surber17 said:
    There is a new trail by this, I can’t remember exactly what it is called but its like the “Riverside Railroad Trail” or something like that. Has anyone else seen this or know more about it?

Not sure if it’s the same thing but In one of the earlier articles/interviews they had plans for connecting the apartments to the bike path.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Yes they just started work on the Harrison West connector trail

surber17
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: