Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

600 Goodale - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 600 Goodale – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Kaufman jumps out of gate with pair of Columbus apartment projects

Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter

Date: Friday, November 25, 2011, 6:00am EST

Columbus developer Brett Kaufman has set out on his own with two apartment projects after several years of helping lead Schottenstein Real Estate Group. His company, Kaufman Development, recently completed zoning on 37 acres on Central College Road, west of New Albany Road, in Columbus for the Gramercy, a 322-apartment complex. Construction began last month on the project, designed by Brian Kent Jones Architects and M&A Architects, with completion set for spring.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/11/25/kaufman-jumps-out-of-gate-with-pair-of.html

futureman
    Participant

Wow, that’s a lot bigger then I was expecting – looks like a 5 or 6 story complex.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The design looks a bit like the commercial buildings at Gowdy Field. Would look good with a Time Warner logo on it. ;)

Seriously though, it’s great to see this new development coming to the area. I’m still not sold on that site because of access issues and a real lack of walkability being surrounded by busy roads and highway on/off ramps… but if it sells well, then it really doesn’t matter what I think. ;)

futureman
    Participant

Some of those issues of walkability I recall were suppose to be addressed. The abandoned rail road bridge right next to it is to be converted to a multi-use path to provide easy access to Victorian Village, with a path being built in front of the (new) building and a connector to the olentangy path below.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that section of Goodale is essential a feeder for 315 with traffic going 45+mph. On top of that the current bridge across the river has ~ 3′ sidwalk on each side – not very pedestrian friendly.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Horrible location for apts., luxury ones at that. Better suited for commercial space with the freeway access and exposure. It just seems a bit hostile, especially for anyone trying to walk/run. I agree, it is nice to see something going in there. It will be interesting to see how well they do.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

futureman said:
    Some of those issues of walkability I recall were suppose to be addressed. The abandoned rail road bridge right next to it is to be converted to a multi-use path to provide easy access to Victorian Village, with a path being built in front of the (new) building and a connector to the olentangy path below.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that section of Goodale is essential a feeder for 315 with traffic going 45+mph. On top of that the current bridge across the river has ~ 3′ sidwalk on each side – not very pedestrian friendly.

I’d have to agree, they should lower it to 35, with a middle median or something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    Horrible location for apts., luxury ones at that. Better suited for commercial space with the freeway access and exposure.

I think most people like easy freeway access from home. I like the fact that it’s (normally) easy to get to all major highways from near Downtown.

Also, many of the units at Flats on Vine look out at 670, and the luxury apartments at Liberty Place in the Brewery District look out onto 70. Neither of those seemed to have major issues in leasing units.

futureman
    Participant

600 Goodale project ready to rise across from White Castle offices
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, June 1, 2012, 6:00am EDT – Last Modified: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 3:13pm EDT

Kaufman Development LLC is ready to go vertical on its five-story apartment project on Goodale Street along the Olentangy River in Columbus now that environmental cleanup and other pre-construction work is finished at the site.

The firm’s Goodale Apartments LLC affiliate paid nearly $1.8 million May 21 for the land after a partnership led by Wagenbrenner Development Inc. cleaned the 4.2-acre site with the help of state grants.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/06/01/600-goodale-project-ready-to-rise.html

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

That is one pretty picture. Maybe the Columbus Commons can get a hint.

columbusmike
    Participant

It’s certainly a nice looking project. I’ll be curious to see how well it does due to the strange location by the White Castle building and between the 315 on/off ramps. I’m guessing the highway visibility will attract a lot of college and young professionals who don’t really mind the highway bustle.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I”m still shocked a project like this is being built at this location. It’s in the middle of nowhere, a spaghetti mess of highways. Absolutely no walkability factor and don’t anyone say “well, it’s just a short walk to GY across the highway.” That is NOT walkability. Should have been an office site if anything. I’ll be watching this closely to see how well these do. Most new luxury developments have the advantage since they are in a more “neighborhood” setting.

surber17
    Participant

@jpizzow …. I think there are some infrastructure improvements coming along with this …. more for bikers and walkers though

News
    Participant

600 Goodale to Offer Modern, Sophisticated Apartments
    By: Walker
    Published on June 1, 2012 9:45 am

A dirt lot at 600 West Goodale Street in the far northwest corner of Downtown sits empty and alone with little but the White Castle corporate headquarters across the street to keep it company. Despite the seemingly barren area, Brett Kaufman sees a lot of potential here.

“This site is right in the middle of a lot of thriving areas of Columbus,” he explains. “It’s right in between the Arena District, Downtown, Ohio State University and Grandview.”

Kaufman is the CEO of Kaufman Development, which plans to build a new five-story 174-unit apartment complex here known as 600 Goodale. The new apartment development will feature a modern interior and exterior design and amenities that go above and beyond the basics.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/600-goodale-to-offer-modern-sophisticated-apartments

columbusmike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    I”m still shocked a project like this is being built at this location. It’s in the middle of nowhere, a spaghetti mess of highways. Absolutely no walkability factor and don’t anyone say “well, it’s just a short walk to GY across the highway.” That is NOT walkability. Should have been an office site if anything. I’ll be watching this closely to see how well these do. Most new luxury developments have the advantage since they are in a more “neighborhood” setting.

I can’t think of too many apartment “complexes” at this scale that are walkable. I think if they have a high quality product (nice design, attractive features), they’ll attract renters. A project of this scale really doesn’t lend itself well to a neighborhood anyways.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I can’t think of too many apartment “complexes” at this scale that are walkable. I think if they have a high quality product (nice design, attractive features), they’ll attract renters. A project of this scale really doesn’t lend itself well to a neighborhood anyways.

??…..almost every development of this size proposed or under constuction are in the Short North, downtown or Grandview Yard, all of which are walkable (or currently semi-walkable for the latter) and considered neighborhoods…..or am I reading you wrong.

My point was that A) a residential community of this scale and price range should be within walking distance of more amenities and have that ambiance that comes with being within a neighborhood and B) in my opinion as an appraiser, the highest and best use of this site would have been for an office building given the exposure to the highway and various easy access points. Plus, office workers don’t really care about that constant hum of traffic whereas someone who is paying or thinking of paying good money for an apt. here will. It just looks really out of place to me.

The design does look great and I wish for more modern architecture in a city that severely lacks it. I hope they do well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: