Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 810 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I don’t know how old you are, but when Chi-Chi’s arrived here, it was a fresh restaurant for the time. Mexican food was not very prevalent here except for a local fast food chain.

I’m 45. I’m quite aware of what was going on here 25 years ago, particularly in The Continent having grown up in Upper Arlington and having an office at Busch Center for about a decade.

I just posted a link to an article on the 5 best tacos in the country…on the Food Network, not some blog…and we’ve got the number 3. If you are longing for Chi Chi’s for Mexican Food, but haven’t gone to eat one of the best tacos in the country then you’re simply here to complain.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

How is this different from Northland? http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/landover_mall.html

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

The British Library has released over a million public domain illustrations and images from its collection, and made them searchable on Flickr. Lots of interesting things if you search for any topic, but some great illustrations of long gone Columbus buildings if you search “Columbus Ohio”. Click on an image, and there’s even a link to download a PDF of the full book the image is from!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Progress on the University Plaza demolition, August 1 2015

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Nancy H
    Participant

Stumbled upon this database of former Columbus restaurants

http://www.columbusrestauranthistory.com/restaurants.htm

Tom D
    Participant

Shakey’s
    Lum’s
    LK
    Charlie Bear
    Eastmoor Drive In
    Grill and Skillet
    Yee’s
    Ciro’s Night Club
    Cochran’s Pharmacy
    Eastmoor Pharmacy
    Rink’s on Livingston Ave
    Burger Chef, Pizza Hut and a donut shop near Livingston and Courtright RD
    Julio’s and the Aztec Lounge on Courtright Rd
    Hampton Towers, Yorktown, Liv-moor and Berwick Beach swimming pools, Eastmoor is the only one left.
    TAT on James at Broad and the one across the street from the Pizza Hut and Burger Chef on Livingston
    Brenna’s Broad Nel
    The Livingston Grill
    When Big Bear and 1776 restaurant (now TAT) were at James and Livingston Ave.
    The Pour House in Reynoldsburg on Main
    Sam’s, now TT Murph’s at Livingston and James
    Drink and Drown at the Underground on Campus
    Drink and Drown at the Serene Lounge, High and 10th?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Now that I’m out by 270/W Broad, much to my surprise, the York Steak House is STILL ALIVE. I used to deliver salad dressings to several of their locations.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Now that I’m out by 270/W Broad, much to my surprise, the York Steak House is STILL ALIVE.

Heh. I spotted that place across the street when I went recently to take photos of Westland Mall. I had the same surprised reaction to see it still alive and kicking.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I enjoyed both the Tamarack and Engine House #5.

I enjoyed many a lunch as well as the pool(with 3$ entry fee and full bar) at the Olentangy Inn back in the day.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but how about the little Korean restaurant at Lane and High? All you could see from the street was a sort of gate. Then you’d squeeze through a narrow gap between buildings to get to the door.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I enjoyed both the Tamarack and Engine House #5.

I enjoyed many a lunch as well as the pool(with 3$ entry fee and full bar) at the Olentangy Inn back in the day.

LOVED The Spot at Engine House, was my go to place for many years. Olentangy Inn, poolside, drinks, with a band playing…or 3 in the morning getting breakfast…both bring back great memories.

dru
    Participant

I remember the old Short North Donatos

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Nancy – I’m wondering who created that list, or how places contribute to it? I see a lot of places on there that still exist and quite a few places not on there. Just curious.

Tom D
    Participant

Did anyone ever call Mr. Edwards at Rite Rug?

My brother and I delivered groceries for a little grocery store at the corner of Main and Kenwick which is now a real estate office.

In the 80’s there was a pizza place on that parking lot at Gould and Main right next to the aforementioned real estate office.

Coaxial Cable in the very early 70’s with one channel from Cincinnati and one from Cleveland, that was it! For some reason I remember the Cash’s Big Bargain Barn commercials although they were a Cincinnati company. Big Time Wrestling with Johnny Powers, Ernie Ladd, the Sheik and Pampero Firpo on the Cleveland station Saturday mornings.

There was an arcade in Whitehall on Main near the Burger King, south side of the road but the name escapes me.

Worked at Agler Davidson on Hamilton for a number of years.

Used to drive golf balls and play putt putt at a place on Broad between Yearling and Hamilton, north side of the road.

What was the restaurant on Main near Hamilton where the Arby’s is now?

Bombay Bicycle Club across from Eastland.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

York stake house FTW, one of those true time warp establishments. Nothing has changed sine the 80s when walking in there.

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 810 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO