Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 810 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I am visiting after leaving for 25 years and I’m really saddened by what’s happened.

Baytraveler
    Participant

I guess you’re all together too sophisticated for the restaurants of this type. For me, I have a differing opinion.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Baytraveler wrote:</div>
    I am visiting after leaving for 25 years and I’m really saddened by what’s happened.

I think maybe blinders on(tunnel vision) would be more apt. He/she is only seeing what was lost(and a lot was, some a great loss, but others..well..) and not seeing what has been gained.

Yes some areas of town have gone to hell(the Continent was already declining when he/she left) but that is what happens in cities, especially growing cities-it is called neighborhood transitioning. Older suburban areas of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s have taken a hit all around most of Cbus, but the exact same phenomenon has occurred in nearly every other major city in the nation.

Things have changed in the last 25 years. One has to ask oneself, would I rather have the Columbus of then, or the Columbus of now?

I know damn well I will take the now!

* I wonder where this paradise it that Baytraveler hails from that has someone escaped the terrible fate of Columbus?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    Chi Chi’s was never great.

With the exception of perhaps the Jai-Lai NONE of the restaurants he remembers as great would last a year in Columbus now.

Oh, I think Kahiki and Engine House/The Spot would…but yeah, most wouldn’t.

Baytraveler
    Participant

I’m glad to answer; not trying to pick a fight. Things do change and it’s understood. But Columbus doesn’t seem to be doing well inside the beltway. Other than short north and OSU, what I’ve seen is pretty depressing. Outside the beltway seems like pretty much average suburbia. McCormick and Scmikt (sp), pannera, chipotle and every other chain restaurant. I guess I enjoyed the unique restaurants and bars of the time. But more than that, the areas where these restaurants were didn’t reinvent or refurbish, they are blighted areas. While the Continent may have started its decline in the late 80’s, I didn’t expect what I saw throughout the whole area. So, forgive me. Again I’m from the area and really loved Columbus. I left shortly after the short north (a bright spot) began its Renaissance with gallery hop (do they still do that?) and newer bars and restaurants. I now live just outside of Annapolis.

Nancy H
    Participant

Oh, I think Kahiki and Engine House/The Spot would…but yeah, most wouldn’t.

You might be right about the Kahiki. The food was dreadful but the atmosphere was definitely over the top. People (in another thread) commented about how mediocre the food is at LaFogata but they go there for the atmosphere. Nobody could afford to build something like the Kahiki today.

I actually liked The Spot quite a bit. But I always felt Seafood Bay, the original one, before it moved downtown had better seafood.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m glad to answer; not trying to pick a fight. Things do change and it’s understood. But Columbus doesn’t seem to be doing well inside the beltway. Other than short north and OSU, what I’ve seen is pretty depressing. Outside the beltway seems like pretty much average suburbia. McCormick and Scmikt (sp), pannera, chipotle and every other chain restaurant. I guess I enjoyed the unique restaurants and bars of the time. But more than that, the areas where these restaurants were didn’t reinvent or refurbish, they are blighted areas. While the Continent may have started its decline in the late 80′s, I didn’t expect what I saw throughout the whole area. So, forgive me. Again I’m from the area and really loved Columbus. I left shortly after the short north (a bright spot) began its Renaissance with gallery hop (do they still do that?) and newer bars and restaurants. I now live just outside of Annapolis.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/11/columbus-ohio-food/

http://spinachtiger.com/why-you-should-eat-drink-and-get-merry-in-columbus-ohio/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-next-place-you-should-eat-in-america-1426263405

http://www.billyparisi.com/heading-to-columbus-to-check-out-the-culinary-scene/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g50226-d1830190-r75101555-Columbus_Food_Adventures-Columbus_Ohio.html

http://marketwatchmag.com/city-scope-columbus-ohio-julaug-2015/

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011/aug/25/travel-columbus-ohio-new-foodie-mecca/

http://www.chef2chef.net/articles/in-the-fire/10-best-cities-to-start-a-restaurant.html

http://blog.forbestravelguide.com/five-secret-foodie-cities

I’m sure I could find many more…oh, actually this was like two weeks ago.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-bottom-line/2015/07/food-network-names-columbus-restaurants-tacos-among-nations-best.html

But yes, we need more Chi Chi’s and the resurgence of The Continent.

WJT
    Participant

I’m glad to answer; not trying to pick a fight. Things do change and it’s understood. But Columbus doesn’t seem to be doing well inside the beltway. Other than short north and OSU, what I’ve seen is pretty depressing. Outside the beltway seems like pretty much average suburbia. McCormick and Scmikt (sp), pannera, chipotle and every other chain restaurant. I guess I enjoyed the unique restaurants and bars of the time. But more than that, the areas where these restaurants were didn’t reinvent or refurbish, they are blighted areas. While the Continent may have started its decline in the late 80′s, I didn’t expect what I saw throughout the whole area. So, forgive me. Again I’m from the area and really loved Columbus. I left shortly after the short north (a bright spot) began its Renaissance with gallery hop (do they still do that?) and newer bars and restaurants. I now live just outside of Annapolis.

Well then you are close enough to DC and Baltimore to see some of the same thing there-with older suburban areas sliding downhill and all. Don’t forget how Brice Rd. has gone downhill as well. But at the same time look at Grandview, Weinland Park, Short North, Italian Village, slowly but steadily old Towne East, German Village, etc. etc. have all maintained or have improved greatly.

And honestly, was the 161 Corridor that much better than Easton or Polaris are now? Was The Continent that much different than Easton?

The problems Columbus is facing with the 161 and Brice Rd. areas are similar to what is going on most everywhere-these are macro forces at work. If any city has a really workable solution to this problem of spreading blight, let us know.

Baytraveler
    Participant

Not to be too snarky here, but I could pull the same articles from almost any midsize town from Des Moines to Knoxville. I think what you’re missing was the uniqueness of the restaurants in Columbus. Maybe some of them would not make it, but they were innovative and were successful in their day. I don’t know how old you are, but when Chi-Chi’s arrived here, it was a fresh restaurant for the time. Mexican food was not very prevalent here except for a local fast food chain. You couldn’t get a table without a wait and the happy hour was packed. Which is why I mentioned it. The continent was also very innovative for the times and hugely popular. I’m sure there are some innovative local restaurants here, but I’m not aware. I guess I’m focussed a bit on the past. I haven’t been to brewery district or German village. How are they doing? Just curious. I’m planning on the spending the evening at the short north tomorrow. I’m sure it will be interesting.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I guess I’m focussed a bit on the past.

If you’re going to primarily focus on what you miss that is now closed, then of course you’re going to have a bad time.

If you decide to focus on what’s new that you’ve never experienced before, then you’re going to have a good time.

Totally up to you. ;)

Baytraveler
    Participant

To WJT
    I Suppose you’re right. I’m actually up in worthington this evening and it’s maintained itself. Glad to hear about German Village. Yes, Baltimore has its issues and they are strictly economic as far as the downtown area goes. It’s too bad as Baltimore has everything going for it location wise. As for DC, not the case. DC is an amazing city and continues to change. Used to be the west edge of DC was nothing but dilapidated row houses. They are now coming back block by block. Cool restaurants and bars all over and then there is Georgetown, where university and global politics meet. Truly a fun place to be. My thoughts on Columbus when I left, was that of a vibrant city. I didn’t see it during my brief ride around and and that’s what led me to this site. I just wondered out loud, “what happened?!” Me even writing on a message board is highly unusual which goes to show I was a bit moved by what I saw. Thanks for the note.

WJT
    Participant

To WJT<br>
    I Suppose you’re right. I’m actually up in worthington this evening and it’s maintained itself. Glad to hear about German Village. Yes, Baltimore has its issues and they are strictly economic as far as the downtown area goes. It’s too bad as Baltimore has everything going for it location wise. As for DC, not the case. DC is an amazing city and continues to change. Used to be the west edge of DC was nothing but dilapidated row houses. They are now coming back block by block. Cool restaurants and bars all over and then there is Georgetown, where university and global politics meet. Truly a fun place to be. My thoughts on Columbus when I left, was that of a vibrant city. I didn’t see it during my brief ride around and and that’s what led me to this site. I just wondered out loud, “what happened?!” Me even writing on a message board is highly unusual which goes to show I was a bit moved by what I saw. Thanks for the note.

C’mon now…if you compare DC to Cbus, you have to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. West DC and Georgetown(and the other gentrifying areas of DC proper) are comparable in Cbus to German Village, Short North, etc.- core areas to core areas. Now Brice Road or 161?-those areas would be more like, say, out in Prince George County or something. So there are no areas in the greater DC area that have what is now considered to be obsolete housing stock, no 50’s and 60’s retail strips that have gone downhill(along with the neighboring subdivisions)?-none at all? Maybe DC is more exception to the rule, Baltimore is more the rule?

How many major metro areas in the US do not have suburban decline in the older suburban areas? Dead malls? No dead malls in greater DC area?

Nancy H
    Participant

The continent was also very innovative for the times and hugely popular.

You are not being snarky.

The Continent was a wonderful place in its time and perhaps ahead of its time. I am not sure if I remember the developer’s name correctly, but I think it was Bill Bonner (?spelling). He did something interesting: he build a “neighborhood” of retail shops on the ground floor, complete with a theater, a comedy club and restaurants, and apartments on the upper floors. Sound familiar to any of you CU readers? It got derailed by the likes of Tuttle and City Center. Easton was the final blow.

I kind of miss Northland as one of our compass point malls. I do like the new Franklin County Animal Shelter that now takes up part of the old Northland space. The old FCAS was soooooo depressing. If you went there to adopt a pet you almost wanter to take a dozen home with you to “save them.” The new facility is clean, brightly lighted and the animals don’t seem so desperate.

But, I agree, that 161 is rather desolate now.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I think some of the corridors you are talking about have seen an explosion of ethnic restaurants. You can find more about that on the Alt Eats blog.

wpcc88
    Participant

You call the terrible planning of 161, Morse Rd and Brice a vibrant city; in the mean time saying that gentrification on the western edge of DC is not at all similar to what has happened here in the Short North, Italian Village, Harrison West, OTE, German Village!? You my friend are looking in all the wrong places. I remember vaguely the Columbus you left and it is now a failed suburban hell. If you look at Columbus in between 71 & 315 from 70 North until you hit Worthington (aka the core) you will find a VERY vibrant city, much more so than when you left. We still have great suburbs with their own “core” as well: Dublin, Gahanna, Grandview, Grove City, Upper Arlington and Westerville. It sounds to me that you truly did go to the past and have yet to open your eyes to the greatness that is modern day Columbus. Today is not the times of the faux vibrancy that was created by 161, Brice & Morse; it is about urban infill and the death of urban suburbia. Also please tell me how campus of 20+ years ago is better than campus today? I was a freshman 10 years ago and I can’t list one reason why it was better then compared to what it is now. In my opinion you need to go to Hillard-Rome, Stringtown Road or 23 North in the Lewis Center area to see what you call vibrancy; I hope you enjoy your stay!

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 810 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS