Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 810 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Walker, you and your construction pics, this was August 2002

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! I love that! I really wish there were more I-670 / SN Cap photos out there like that one, but 2002 was just prior to everyone having a high res camera attached to every mobile device. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That was my first digital, a simple little Fuji FinePix.

February 2003

GCrites80s
    Participant

Walker said:
    Nice! I love that! I really wish there were more I-670 / SN Cap photos out there like that one, but 2002 was just prior to everyone having a high res camera attached to every mobile device. ;)

I bet half of us didn’t even have a cell phone at all back then. I didn’t.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    I bet half of us didn’t even have a cell phone at all back then. I didn’t.

Yeah, I opted out of having a cell phone until maybe 2004-ish.

Though I did have a digital camera pretty early on. I think my first was a 1.2 megapixel. ;)

RhondaH

Walker said:

Though I did have a digital camera pretty early on. I think my first was a 1.2 megapixel. ;)

My Dad used to have an ancient Sony .3 megapixel camera that took pictures on floppy disks (remember those?). I will have to ask him if he has some old digital pictures of Columbus.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I bought my first cell phone in City Center around 1999.

it looked like this

I got it at some shop that was by that statue of the kid falling in the water

GCrites80s
    Participant

LOL, I wonder if somebody saved that statue.

Or if there’s anybody who grows that flower (Bird of Paradise?) that was like the mall’s mascot in remembrance of the mall.

heresthecasey
    Participant

vestanpance said:
    I got it at some shop that was by that statue of the kid falling in the water

I wish Cap South would have saved those statues and installed them somewhere in Columbus Commons.

Would have been a nice homage to the history of the site. I wonder where they ended up

cbus11

RhondaH said:
    My Dad used to have an ancient Sony .3 megapixel camera that took pictures on floppy disks (remember those?).

Throwing the word ‘ancient’ in there makes me feel old. I remember using that camera for work.

heresthecasey said:
    I wish Cap South would have saved those statues and installed them somewhere in Columbus Commons.

Would have been a nice homage to the history of the site. I wonder where they ended up

They were appraised at $185k (wow) and sold at auction:

City Center: The Demise of Excess

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

ok so the real question is… who bought them, and where are they now.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Walker, there’s this ghosts thread, and there are some construction threads – what about something like Columbus Ephemera, with shots of one-time events and situations?

heresthecasey
    Participant

Some great old photos here, http://www.trolleybuses.net/cmh/cmh.htm.

billbix

Seems they frown on hotlinking photos:

http://www.trolleybuses.net/cmh/cmh.htm

Pablo
    Participant

High St. looking north from the Nationwide tower – taken from the exterior elevator in 1986. The old North Market quonset hut is still there.

HighSt

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 810 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE