Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Ghosts of Columbus Past

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 810 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

They probably took those out at some point as to not make the clientele feel like gluttons.

Taz Devil
    Participant

Great review from one in Cleveland:

In honor of this week’s feature story on Cleveland foodies’ all-time favorite flavors, we bring you the recollections of our ever-ravenous staff. In this installment: Editor Erich Burnett …

Somewhere over the last 30 years, our nation got way fatter and our military handed our all-you-can-eat buffet technology to the Chinese.

How else has it come to pass that virtually the only surviving buffets these days are variations on the theme of Double Dragon or China Palace or any of countless other generic-sounding — yet perfectly palatable — Far East permutations? And exactly where along the line did we abandon the revolving buffet?

The best thing I ever ate — also the most things I ever ate — amounted to whatever was making the rounds at Duff’s Smorgasbord, a celebration of gluttony I became dangerously well-acquainted with as a child, at its location in the bombed-out Laurel Square shopping center in Brunswick.

Duff’s was special-occasion dining for folk who knew damn well there was another, purer form of fine dining out there but that they would never know what that form tasted like. Fine dining here meant every food you ever wanted — and as much as your accommodating carcass could put down. It was the best place my 11-year-old eyes could ever imagine, surely a glimpse of what heaven’s cafeteria would look like.

Duff’s, above all else, was the place that tempted taste buds with not one but two slowly revolving circular chow stations that rotated like steamboat paddlewheels churning through peanut butter.

Think that incoming fried chicken is looking fine? Best you lurch at it just as it reaches arm’s length or you’ll lose your chance till it makes its next pass, some two minutes later.

Hoping for mashed potatoes and gravy on a single go-round? Don’t plan on accomplishing that feat without putting both hands to work — an early form of multitasking that generally led to a sloppy, gravyfied bastardization of the spud bin.

There were at least two ignominious facets of wonderful Duff’s, the first one being the inescapable truism that the patrons who love the place most also tended to be those least capable of wedging their porcine forms into the revolving food-trough compartments. Blessedly, no member of my family faced this dilemma.

The other was the modest novelty station that awaited you on your way out after each visit.

Being a child of 11 or so, I considered it my birthright to be handed a quarter to pop into a machine at the door of any establishment I frequented. Usually this was the means to a miniature NFL football helmet or a cheap metal ring that I was sure was going to be the glow-in-the-dark slime that was so prominently displayed on the case.

Not so here.

For one last 25 cents in Duff’s coffers, you could feed a machine that would provide you with your choice of:

1) your body weight (as measured immediately after ingesting 17 pounds of the finest institutional international cuisine), or

2) your heart rate (recorded at precisely the moment when every system in your body is revolting against the basketball-sized bolus that just overtook it).

I remember feeling vaguely groggy after another expansive repast, and I remember paying a quarter to learn that my resting heart rate was around 138 at that moment. I also remember my parents taking note of that figure, and I remember very few meals at Duff’s after that.

GCrites80s
    Participant

On that note, I don’t see those machines that slowly spin pies enough these days.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    This post made me chuckle. Me and Aaron/Aus-10 were the DJ’s on most nights. Steve DePizzo was the bartender. I had some really fun times there.

Wasn’t it called Toxic?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Anne said:
    Wasn’t it called Toxic?

I honestly can’t remember it’s been so long, lol.

hajames66
    Participant

Loved Duffs!

I grew up in Western Ohio and wend to the location in Piqua.

Such anticipation as what you wanted to get came circling around.

I always had nostalgia every time I ate at the cafeteria in the the OSU medical center. They had a similar rotating service area…I think they’ve torn it out since.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

hajames66 said:

I always had nostalgia every time I ate at the cafeteria in the the OSU medical center. They had a similar rotating service area…I think they’ve torn it out since.

That was nicknamed the Wheel of Death.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I don’t think anybody’s brought up this one yet:

“It’s FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!”

ricospaz
    Participant

Friday beers taste better than Tuesday beers!

News
    Participant

At Work: Big Red Rooster fills Engine House No. 5
    AT WORK — BY ANNE EVANS
    APRIL 16, 2012 AT 8:00 AM

If you reminisce about the restaurant Engine House No. 5, at 121 Thurman Ave., you are not alone. Although the restaurant has been closed since 1993, when the owner, Chuck Muer, and his wife, Betty, were lost at sea, many do not realize it is no longer a restaurant.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/work-big-red-rooster-fills-engine-house-no-5/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

How about the little Photo Bug booths in parking lots, where you could drive up and drop off film for processing? I searched for an image, but found disappointing results.

DJ DocMedPot
    DJ DocMedPot
    Participant

My Cbus memory of the moment; shopping at the old roller rink Big Bear on Lane Ave by OSU. By my time in the late 70’s the floors were old and warped so whenever you let go of your cart it would wander off often hitting other peoples carts. And With a little planning and timing it was a great way to meet college girls.

Yeah, it was sad to see that place go but that building was used very hard over the years. I knew friends that worked there and I had been in and under the building before it’s demolition and only one word came to mind, nasty.

Now Riverwatch tower stands in it’s place over the Old-n-grungy….

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I remember the young trees sprouting in the gutters along the back of the building.

GCrites80s
    Participant

alexs said:
    How about the little Photo Bug booths in parking lots, where you could drive up and drop off film for processing? I searched for an image, but found disappointing results.

They were called Fotomats. I remember ones at Great Southern, on East Main across from the MCL and one at Eastland. I think the Great Southern one got turned into an ice cream place.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Not quite – same idea, a drive-up booth, but the top was made to look like a ladybug shell.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 810 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE