Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Explorers Club

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Explorers Club

This topic contains 86 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  CMH Gourmand 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • Author

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Word is the Galaxy Cafe (from the day…is coming back….more word soon.

http://cmhgourmand.com/2010/02/10/galaxy-cafe-a-story-of-passion/

hivner1

wahoo! original foodies of cbus

DavidF
    Participant

OMG! I have missed this place sooo freakin much. Most people don’t have a clue how much of on impact this place had on the Columbus food scene.

FYI: Great little article. Galaxy Cafe in Grandview was one of the places that gave me hope for food in Columbus after I returned from my time in the Army (which awakened me to the myriad possibilities of great food).

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

is ricky gonna be involved?
    cuz if not, i don’t care.

and if so it’s the best news i’ve had all summer.

patient_zero
    Participant

How ironic! I was thinking long and hard about Galaxy a few weeks ago. Perhaps this is kismet?

Like Jim and David, cuisine from the Galaxy umbrella was pivotal to the way I thought about food. Good food was never foreign to me growing up, as I was fortunate to have parents who liked to dine out – often. Some of the best foods of the North coast were offered to me, especially French, Italian, Chinese and Continental. While flavor was never lacking in my culinary upbringing, what was lacking was the use of spicy heat, and the unique ingredients commonly found in the American Southwest and South of the border – poblano, black bean, adobo. For a Midwest boy, this food was a culinary awakening. When I consumed these dishes, I really felt I was transported to another galaxy, at least for a moment.

I remember the expansion of the Galaxy umbrella Jim carefully layed out, the name changes, the closings leading to the only remnant of Galaxy – Starliner Diner, where I had my first ever chile relleno, and against which all chile rellenos are now measured. While I was sad to see all the entities disappear, I knew I could at least get the best chile rellenos in Central Ohio, maybe the rest of the state, in Hilliard.

So all the wonderful flavors that have been dancing in the recesses of my brain will soon be in palatable form? This is some of the best new I’ve heard in a number of years!

Thanks for sharing the good news, Jim, and thanks for sharing a little more about you.

This would be Great for food in columbus and lots of fun old times.I worked with Ricky at all 3 of his places and i hear that he has the bug to open a new grownup Galaxy
    place same fun great food, just a little toned down decor.
    This place would ROCK hope it comes soon.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

WOW! I’ll come back to visit, especially if Ricky comes back with it.

patient_zero
    Participant

tracy studer said:
    This would be Great for food in columbus and lots of fun old times.I worked with Ricky at all 3 of his places and i hear that he has the bug to open a new grownup Galaxy
    place same fun great food, just a little toned down decor.
    This place would ROCK hope it comes soon.

First post, Tracy? You must really be stoked to post today. I’m glad you did. I have always been a sucker for spaceships + planets, and don’t mind the kitschiness in the former entities. So long as the food is amazing, he can decorate it with scary clowns and I’ll still eat there.

Oh – I ate my first fish tacos ever at Nacho Mama’s.

cc

Damn, this brings back some memories. I remember the first time I ate at the Galaxy in Grandview the dishwasher was broken and everything was served on paper plates. There was a laundromat next door and I would visit while doing my laundry. It seems like so much has changed since then.

drew
    Participant

Oh, yeah. Loved the Galaxy (and Nacho Mamas).

btmarquis

Will it have a pac-man game/table?

I think I miss Lost Planet the most of of this group, but all great spots.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

That is awesome, awesome news. I’ve always been so jealous that I never got to try any of the Galaxy Cafes while they were open (although if we got Starliner out of it, I won’t complain too much).

Thanks for the heads up, Jim! Eager to hear more.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Jerry Burgos who partnered with Ricky at Galaxy then started Starliner has been talking about wanting to start a small plates place. No word since…(he sold his interest in Starliner earlier this year)

Look for the new place to open in sept.

SusanB
    Participant

Tracey- super stoked to have you in the neighborhood!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.