Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dick's Last Resort - Former Frog, Bear & Wild Boar Closes / 343 Front Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Dick's Last Resort – Former Frog, Bear & Wild Boar Closes / 343 Front Street

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

According to this month’s Historic Resources Commission agenda, it looks like Dick’s Last Resort is indeed taking the former FB&WBB/343 Tavern space. Below is a Biz1st report from last summer about the possibility,

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/08/13/dick-s-last-resort-looking-at-arena-district-spot.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

How campy. :-/

pez
    Participant

According to this month’s Historic Resources Commission agenda, it looks like Dick’s Last Resort is indeed taking the former FB&WBB/343 Tavern space. Below is a Biz1st report from last summer about the possibility,

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/08/13/dick-s-last-resort-looking-at-arena-district-spot.html

Building permits were issued on Wednesday.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’m surprised that concept has lasted this long. A good fit for Myrtle Beach…not so much for Columbus. I guess someone sees something or else they wouldn’t be proposing it.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’m setting the over/under at 18 months.

Personally this concept doesn’t appeal to me at all.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m sure all the suits at Nationwide will love to go there for happy hour drinks and be insulted.*Sarcasm*

No interest in this at all.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I mean there’s a Dick’s Last Resort right in Quincy Market in the heart of downtown Boston, so I guess this doesn’t surprise me that much. That whole part of the Arena District is very chainy to begin with Buca, Ted’s across the street, and Boston’s.

On the bright side, I’m assuming Dick’s has evaluated the area pretty thoroughly and decided it would be worth opening one of their restaurants there.

RedStorm
    Participant

I mean there’s a Dick’s Last Resort right in Quincy Market in the heart of downtown Boston, so I guess this doesn’t surprise me that much. That whole part of the Arena District is very chainy to begin with Buca, Ted’s across the street, and Boston’s.

Mongolian BBQ, Rodizio, Jimmy John’s, Gordon Biersch, Max & Erma’s (if you count that)…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I’m sure all the suits at Nationwide will love to go there for happy hour drinks and be insulted.*Sarcasm*

it’s a bummer because that spot has one of the best downtown patios. And I’m not talking about whatever it was previously, strictly the spot and layout. It would be great if a spot like Bakersfield or someone similar would go in there.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Not sure how I feel about this. But keep in mind that Nationwide employs a ton of non-suits. Actually, Frog Bear was really popular. Within very fast walking distance, it was the best place for a very quick, cheap beer. I actually thought a big reason Frog Bear / 343 Front went under was that the food was not very good, not because it was too fratty.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

Not sure how I feel about this. But keep in mind that Nationwide employs a ton of non-suits. Actually, Frog Bear was really popular. Within very fast walking distance, it was the best place for a very quick, cheap beer. I actually thought a big reason Frog Bear / 343 Front went under was that the food was not very good, not because it was too fratty.

I know Frog bear was a very popular after work beer spot, and I think A&R bar fills that hole most of the time now. I’m just saying that I don’t think a place that has the gimmick of being rude to you will do well with a group of professionals.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<quote>I know Frog bear was a very popular after work beer spot, and I think A&R bar fills that hole most of the time now. I’m just saying that I don’t think a place that has the gimmick of being rude to you will do well with a group of professionals.
    [/quote]

Wow, so… didn’t realize that you were literally talking about staff being rude to their customers. Didn’t realize this was this bar’s gimmick. In that case, you’re right… this doesn’t seem like a good place for this. The old End Zone is better suited for that shtick.

Shame. I actually think a decent sports bar that serves cheap beer and has a good lunch menu would do just fine at this location.

bayrea
    Participant

I am willing to bet that their clientele will resemble their mascot and after reading through the menu I don’t really think I will enjoy “a side of sass” with my meal. Pass

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

They’ve been around forever, have their crowd. Think of it like a dueling piano bar. I imagine it will do quite well with a lot of the arena crowd actually.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

They’ve been around forever, have their crowd. Think of it like a dueling piano bar. I imagine it will do quite well with a lot of the arena crowd actually.

I think the bar could do just fine. But I think everyone here makesa good point. At that location, if you have a place that serves decent lunch, attracts a happy hour crowd, and can still offer a good enough nightlife to connect to the Arena District, that would have crushed it with the work crowd. This model seems best suited for nightlife. Hopefully good enough to stick around, but it does seem like somewhat of a wasted opportunity.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE