Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dick's Last Resort - Former Frog, Bear & Wild Boar Closes / 343 Front Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Dick's Last Resort – Former Frog, Bear & Wild Boar Closes / 343 Front Street

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

New owners, new concept – but new concept won’t happen until after the first of the year. Will stay open under current design until then…

Jordans23000
    Participant

and where oh where will DJ Holla go? ahhh, good times!! ha ha

That is too funny!! Since he left the place went downhill, They switched the music selection from DJ’s playing top 40 to mostly cover bands, and people were not to receptive to the change. But that’s the second bar Holla was headlining that shut down, Skybar being the other, the curse of DJ Holla!! Just kidding. I hope the new bar pays more attention to the music selection, it might help them stay in business.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Frog Bear Replacement Opens Just In Time For Hockey Season
    Friday, October 8, 2010
    Blog: Columbus Biz Insider
    Dan Eaton

Work kept me from seeing the puck drop on the Columbus Blue Jackets’ season this afternoon, but if I had gotten out, I’d have a new bar to watch the game – assuming the place had its satellite service up and running.

READ MORE: http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2010/10/frog_bear_replacement_opens_just_in_time_for_hockey_season.html

bzarcher
    Participant

Dan’s first problem, after working, is that he isn’t going to R-Bar to watch the game in the first place.

I hope 343 Front does well, but R-Bar really is THE place to watch CBJ games, regardless of the official sponsors.

RissaRoo
    Participant

At 5’o clock this place is mostly Nationwiders (late 20s-40s crowd) with very attentive table service even when it got full. For once they had enough servers on staff! My server was inexperienced (had to ask me what’s in a martini) but quite nice and making a effort. I think the menu is the same. Happy hour is $3 mixed drinks and drafts (incl. imports, but make sure you specify draft…wasn’t asked, and Strongbow bottle was $6). $4 appetizers are plenty big enough to share. Can’t remember if there were as many TVs when it was Frog Bear, but they had several big screens, playing a few different sports channels.
    A nice change from the date-rapey Frog Bear. Maybe because it was only 5 o’clock – I don’t know what the late night crowd is like. They still seem to be getting organized (server didn’t know much about the menu) but the prices are persuasive…I’ll be stopping in again sometime.

RissaRoo
    Participant

At 5’o clock this place is mostly Nationwiders (late 20s-40s crowd) with very attentive table service even when it got full. For once they had enough servers on staff! My server was inexperienced (had to ask me what’s in a martini) but quite nice and making a effort. I think the menu is the same. Happy hour is $3 mixed drinks and drafts (incl. imports, but make sure you specify draft…wasn’t asked, and Strongbow bottle was $6). $4 appetizers are plenty big enough to share. Can’t remember if there were as many TVs when it was Frog Bear, but they had several big screens, playing a few different sports channels.
    A nice change from the date-rapey Frog Bear. Maybe because it was only 5 o’clock – I don’t know what the late night crowd is like. They still seem to be getting organized (server didn’t know much about the menu) but the prices are persuasive…I’ll be stopping in again sometime.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

“How do you make a martini” either signifies a really inexperienced bartender, or a really experienced one.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Also “THE FROG BEAR AND WILD BOAR” is the worst name for a bar, the worst name. A crime against the english language and the people forced to use it. I’m kind of sad to hear they shut down because it means someone will talk about it nostalgically someday.

Twixlen
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Also “THE FROG BEAR AND WILD BOAR” is the worst name for a bar, the worst name. A crime against the english language and the people forced to use it. I’m kind of sad to hear they shut down because it means someone will talk about it nostalgically someday.

I’ve always referred to it as “Frog Bear & Wild Whore” – which was just more accurate.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

i believe whores go to all bars, not just that one. probably even the cool bars you all go to.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

i believe whores go to all bars, not just that one. probably even the cool bars you all go to.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

No, because I drink at the VFW hall.

Twixlen
    Participant

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

Uh, sense of humor alert? Geezus.

Yeah, there was a time when FBWB was my regular happy hour bar… It was one of the main settings for The Summer of Alcoholism.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Yeah, there was a time when FBWB was my regular happy hour bar… It was one of the main settings for The Summer of Alcoholism.

Oh yeah my friend’s dad had one of those summers too

then he sat in the garage with the car running until he choked to death

I don’t think he went to the frog and bear wild boar though, I’ll have to email her and check.

Cookie

Remember just a few minutes ago when we were joking about whores? Who would have thought that we would look back fondly on those innocent times?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE