Our City Online

Messageboard - CU Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The FINAL Columbus Underground Happy Hour - Nov 7 at The Crest

Home Forums Events CU Events The FINAL Columbus Underground Happy Hour – Nov 7 at The Crest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Well there goes my social calendar.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I can never come…. :(

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Porky said:
    Well there goes my social calendar.

No worries… we *will* be having more events. Just not the normal happy hours. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! Coming up tomorrow night! :D

TaraK
    Participant

For any new works, I’d just like to offer my thoughts. I tried going to a couple of happy hours when I first joined CU, but I never met anyone at them. I.e. When I got there, it was like there were groups of close friends who already knew each other, and I wasn’t going to bust in an intimate circle and be like, “HEY, I’M HERE! WHATSUP!” And I didn’t really see other folks hanging around wanting to mingle. It just felt difficult as a newcomer when everyone seemed really familiar, so I stopped going.

It would be great if future options felt a little more open somehow?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I know what you mean it can be a little inimidating at first. But I have to say that I had the opposite experience. Probably does help that I’ve went to them with my wife
    The first one I went to I knew no-one but just started chatting with people who made me feel welcome. I do tend to be an out going person. I’ve met some really cool peeps thru the meet ups over the years and some of those have become friendships that go beyond this messageboard.

budser1228
    Participant

I had the exact same experience as TaraK at multiple happy hours.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Having met JimL2, further introductions to anyone else are unnecessary.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Having met Porky, further introductions to anyone else are unnecessary.

FTFY ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

TaraK said:
    It would be great if future options felt a little more open somehow?

We’ve brought nametags to some of the events before, but I always felt that it was a little corny.

I personally do my best to say hi to as many people as I can, especially to people I don’t recognize. Which is often awkward as I’m asking if they’re there for the CU Happy Hour and they’re not, as our events are not private or invite only and are open at bars when the bars are also open to the general public.

On the flip side, I would most *certainly* encourage this exact behavior:

TaraK said:
    …bust in an intimate circle and be like, “HEY, I’M HERE! WHATSUP!”

In my experience, everyone is generally pretty welcoming and easy going. Bust in and say hi and you’re most likely going to get a good response. ;) Even if it feels a little awkward at first.

Or at the very least, look for these people and ask them to make intros for you:

We’re always happy to play host! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

budser1228 said:
    I had the exact same experience as TaraK at multiple happy hours.

Sorry to hear it. Please say hi next time! Showing up and not saying anything and then leaving quietly is not allowed! ;)

Roland
    Participant

I think it’s a bit easier to mingle if you’ve already established some connections here on the forum. Either through PM or just friendly conversation.

I don’t think the name tags are corny either. They are a good idea and serve the purpose of identifying yourself as being there for the CU event. Easy icebreaker.

I haven’t been to one in a year, but I’m coming back for this one! Who can pass up on a possible Coremodels sighting?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Roland said:
    Who can pass up on a possible Coremodels sighting?

He’s rarer than the rarest Pokemon!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Ha! I should be there around 8’ish, so late but definitely will be in attendance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘CU Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION