Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

National Trend: Americans are Driving Less

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation National Trend: Americans are Driving Less

• This topic has 108 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This…this is what we need more of.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Rus, you really can’t posit why people might prefer other options of transportation to cars?

In some areas, sure. If you wanted to live in NYC, for instance, the subway system there is decent. Reminded me of the tokyo subway / train system. Lot less hassle in both places than driving. Of course, travel takes more time than just driving, so it’s a trade off. That also seems to require high density living, which is it’s own down side.

Health… guess I could see biking that way. Workout while you travel and all. Of course, you arrive at your destination reeking if you did it right, so again there’s a down side. Would save on fuel costs, though.

Still, none of that adds up to being thrilled that there’s less cars, does it? Heck, in tokyo and nyc both there’s oodles of cars… that doesn’t mean either place is lacking in public transport / biking.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Jesus rus, do you even enjoy cars as a hobby? I find it fascinating that people who really love cars such as race car drivers and top mechanics have thought for years that things have gotten too out of control with excessive street and highway driving. They deplore our unskilled drivers, boy racers and know that too much street driving is very dangerous. Yet we have to hear about how awesome it is that so many people are forced to drive everywhere thinking it represents “freedom” from people who don’t even care about or know anything about cars and the automotive hobby. Freedom is being able to drive when you want and not having to drive when you don’t.

Know why kids don’t care about NASCAR and IndyCar anymore? It’s not boring drivers or too many safety rules or the economy nearly as much as that the automobile has been shoved so far up their ass that they don’t care about it any more. Yet, the rest of the world still goes nuts for F1, rally and MotoGP because cars are still an escape for them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    This…this is what we need more of.

Mercurius
    Participant

rus said:
    In some areas, sure. If you wanted to live in NYC, for instance, the subway system there is decent. Reminded me of the tokyo subway / train system. Lot less hassle in both places than driving. Of course, travel takes more time than just driving, so it’s a trade off. That also seems to require high density living, which is it’s own down side.

Health… guess I could see biking that way. Workout while you travel and all. Of course, you arrive at your destination reeking if you did it right, so again there’s a down side. Would save on fuel costs, though.

Still, none of that adds up to being thrilled that there’s less cars, does it? Heck, in tokyo and nyc both there’s oodles of cars… that doesn’t mean either place is lacking in public transport / biking.

What if you wanted to live and work near the urban core of Columbus?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    What if you wanted to live and work near the urban core of Columbus?

If I was stuck in a downtown job where parking was at a premium, COTA might make sense, sure. Depends on how close “live” is to “work”; walking / biking might even be an option.

How does that relate to being thrilled at less cars?

Mercurius
    Participant

rus said:
    If I was stuck in a downtown job where parking was at a premium, COTA might make sense, sure. Depends on how close “live” is to “work”; walking / biking might even be an option.

How does that relate to being thrilled at less cars?

Because it means people are starting to choose those other options.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Because it means people are starting to choose those other options.

Guess I’m still confused.

Why would you care what other people do?

ETA: Guess I could see increased COTA ridership as a good thing if I took COTA… sign that the routes I was on were viable, so likely they’d continue. Might also indicate service would expand, which would benefit me. Less cars = more COTA use might correlate, but might not…

Mercurius
    Participant

rus said:
    Guess I’m still confused.

‘Cause we live in a democracy and there are negative externalities related to cars and your health, the environment and a limited pool of money for alternative transportation infrastructure.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

yeah but like… why care about anything, man? We’re just going to die eventually anyway

mellotron
    Participant

rus said:
    Why does less cars = thrilling? / If cars aren’t bad, then why be thrilled at less of them?

Let me take a stab.
    I don’t think “less cars” is an end in itself. From a personal/micro experience, I can say that when I moved to downtown/short north I brought a car-centric attitude with me, which I eventually found didn’t make a lot of sense. So I made a “less cars” conscious decision because biking/busing/walking made so much more sense to me. It wasn’t anti-car, it was just pro-transportation for what my neighborhood and the places I go and work require.

If I dare extrapolate the article, the shrinking auto usage might suggest that many people are reaching similar conclusions that I have. Which then leads to more people in my neighborhood. Win! So personally, “less cars” is a surrogate of a trend towards a more urban lifestyle, which is something I personally value – not an end in itself. But “less cars” will continue to be shorthand for this type of trend, just the way our region has been structured up to this point, so it’s an important point to clarify since it will continue coming up.

Besides personally, I’m a better person on a bike/bus/sidewalk than behind a steering wheel.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Cause we live in a democracy and there are negative externalities related to cars and your health, the environment and a limited pool of money for alternative transportation infrastructure.

Oh, so it’s more about environmental concerns… carbon, exhaust particles, etc.?

In other words, if I’m reading you right, less cars = more popular support for your preferred alternatives?

rus
    rus
    Participant

mellotron said:
    Let me take a stab.
    I don’t think “less cars” is an end in itself. From a personal/micro experience, I can say that when I moved to downtown/short north I brought a car-centric attitude with me, which I eventually found didn’t make a lot of sense. So I made a “less cars” conscious decision because biking/busing/walking made so much more sense to me. It wasn’t anti-car, it was just pro-transportation for what my neighborhood and the places I go and work require.

If I dare extrapolate the article, the shrinking auto usage might suggest that many people are reaching similar conclusions that I have. Which then leads to more people in my neighborhood. Win! So personally, “less cars” is a surrogate of a trend towards a more urban lifestyle, which is something I personally value – not an end in itself. But “less cars” will continue to be shorthand for this type of trend, just the way our region has been structured up to this point, so it’s an important point to clarify since it will continue coming up.

Besides personally, I’m a better person on a bike/bus/sidewalk than behind a steering wheel.

OK… that makes some sense, sure. I guess I could see more people in your neighborhood as more urbanism and if you like urbanism then greater population density is a requirement.

Not exactly anti-car, but pro something else.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:

Says the guy who takes the time to respond to every single vegan/vegetarian thread. ;)

Mercurius
    Participant

rus said:
    Oh, so it’s more about environmental concerns… carbon, exhaust particles, etc.?

In other words, if I’m reading you right, less cars = more popular support for your preferred alternatives?

It’s not more about environmental concerns, although they aren’t insignificant. It is about less cars equaling more people supporting alternatives.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO