Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

National Trend: Americans are Driving Less

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation National Trend: Americans are Driving Less

• This topic has 108 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The end of the road for motormania

16 August 2011 by Fred Pearce

NewScientist.com

Something unexpected is happening to our car-crazy culture. What are the forces driving us out of motoring?

IS THE west falling out of love with the car? For environmentalists it seems an impossible dream, but it is happening. While baby boomers and those with young families may stick with four wheels, a combination of our ageing societies and a new zeitgeist among the young seems to be breaking our 20th-century car addiction. Somewhere along the road, we reached “peak car” and are now cruising down the other side.

READ MORE: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128255.600-the-end-of-the-road-for-motormania.html

JayR

While I dont particularly buy into the idea of peak travel, as an environmentalist and localist (is that a word?) I find the downward trends in car usage to be thrilling and hopeful. You can see it in Columbus too: bikes are all over from Clintonville to Germain Village and everywhere in-between. Armed with this research, I feel that it should expedite and energize efforts to improve pubIc transit in Columbus. We have an excellent bus service but we should diversify.

HeySquare
    Participant

JayR said:
    …I find the downward trends in car usage to be thrilling and hopeful. You can see it in Columbus too: bikes are all over from Clintonville to Germain Village and everywhere in-between. Armed with this research, I feel that it should expedite and energize efforts to improve pubIc transit in Columbus. We have an excellent bus service but we should diversify.

what a novel idea. Perhaps we should consider other alternatives like rail or streetcars.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Why does less cars = thrilling?

JayR

rus said:
    Why does less cars = thrilling?

Several reasons. It means public transit is catching on, it’s becoming more economical for alternatives, and less carbon is being emitted into the atmosphere.

rus
    rus
    Participant

JayR said:
    Several reasons. It means public transit is catching on, it’s becoming more economical for alternatives, and less carbon is being emitted into the atmosphere.

*scratch head*

So, it’s all about the carbon?

I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’ve seen the “cars bad!” meme here often, but never understood it.

Tenzo
    Participant

JayR said:
    We have an excellent bus service ….

really?
    Compared to what?

cc

Tenzo said:
    really?
    Compared to what?

Agreed, compared to other cities I have been to our bus transit system seems pretty mediocre. It has made progress, but calling it excellent would be putting the bar fairly low.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’ve seen the “cars bad!” meme here often, but never understood it.

Probably because you dumb it down to a “cars bad!” meme instead of actually trying to understand someone else’s perspective.

For me, it’s more about a healthy balance of options. Cars aren’t bad. Freedom from choice is.

But yeah. I’m just one of those cars=bad people that you’ll never understand. LOLZ!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Probably because you dumb it down to a “cars bad!” meme instead of actually trying to understand someone else’s perspective.

If cars aren’t bad, then why be thrilled at less of them?

Or for your other options to exist there must be less cars?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I didn’t say I was thrilled. You’re asking the wrong guy.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    I didn’t say I was thrilled. You’re asking the wrong guy.

Well, I was asking Jay…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Well, I was asking Jay…

When you quote someone it looks like you’re responding to them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    When you quote someone it looks like you’re responding to them.

And when you interjected it looked like you shared the same sentiment.

Mercurius
    Participant

Rus, you really can’t posit why people might prefer other options of transportation to cars?

What is better for promoting:
    Smart Growth?
    Urban vs. Suburban development?
    Health?
    Environment (including emissions – NOX, SOX and Carbon)?
    Livability?
    Affordability?
    Aesthetics?

Etc…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO