Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Dispatch Comment Section / Topix.com

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Dispatch Comment Section / Topix.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 318 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    Aren’t newspapers written for a fourth-grade reading level?
    It really shouldn’t be too surprising then that a newspaper’s comment section is filled with discussion at a fourth-grade level.
    Personally, I try to avoid clicking on the comments on The Dispatch news. But the few occasions where I do just makes me love all of you CU regulars THAT much more. :D

The difference is largely the anonymity. If we didn’t have those wonderful CU meet ups, I think you would see a lot more of it-as sad as that reality is.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think most of the people on these boards were civil before CU meetups became regular occurrences. I think one major difference is an active moderator. I think another is that, because the interactive portions of this site were, and to a great extent remain, somewhat central to its model, it attracts a different segment of the population.

And, of course, by now, this site has the benefit of positive inertia. The fact that there are a core of civil posters encourages people who care about civility to feel welcome and come out of the woodwork. There are probably thousands, even tens of thousands, of people reading the Dispatch site who have no intention of ever posting there. I’d bet many of them would feel comfortable posting here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

dubdave00 wrote >>
    There used to be a local media forum called Columbus Media Talk where people would use racial slurs to describe TV air talent, associate everything with some political agenda, and claim they planned to rape certain local celebrities.

http://www.columbusmediatalk.com/

HeySquare
    Participant

I agree with Gram. The level of discourse rises to meet expectations.

The one topic on which all CU posters seem to agree is that you have to be able to argue your point, in English (Latin optional.) Proper spelling and punctuation are generally preferred. Good intentions will be accepted in lieu of spelling and punctuation, but asshats will be summarily dismissed. No exceptions. Six or more judgements against by posters with post counts in the double digits will usually constitute an ilk. Two ilks will typically result in a thread being closed.

And finally… Walker trumps the ilk.

That is all.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>
    The one topic on which all CU posters seem to agree is that you have to be able to argue your point, in English (Latin optional.) Proper spelling and punctuation are generally preferred. Good intentions will be accepted in lieu of spelling and punctuation, but asshats will be summarily dismissed. No exceptions. Six or more judgements against by posters with post counts in the double digits will usually constitute an ilk. Two ilks will typically result in a thread being closed.
    That is all.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

And yes I really despise some of the comments on the Dispatch.

It’s hard to keep a positive outlook on the world when you’re being hit with a tsunami of ignorance.

Hael

Analogue Kid wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>
    That is all.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
    And yes I really despise some of the comments on the Dispatch.
    It’s hard to keep a positive outlook on the world when you’re being hit with a tsunami of ignorance.

Steer clear of the comments section of CNN’s political blog.

Bear
    Participant

Was actually just noticing that the comments sections on some NYT stories make you dumber if you read them.

Seriously, WTF.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Really it just looks like the people who comment YouTube videos[/url] have found another outlet

berdawn

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    Really it just looks like the people who comment YouTube videos[/url] have found another outlet

well, fuck, now I’m not going to accomplish much this evening.

WildmanDan

Bear wrote >>
    Was actually just noticing that the comments sections on some NYT stories make you dumber if you read them.
    Seriously, WTF.

USA Today can be added to this list.

joev
    Participant

Most online comment boards sooner or later turn into a digital Macondo, where everyone keeps making the same arguments and mistakes over and over and over. Walker and Anne do a great job keeping things here fresh and civil.

racheltb
    Participant

I dug up this thread because of the completely insensitive comments on a story that ran in Friday’s dispatch about a friend of mine whose husband died. Bittersweet Help

Do you think anyone on the Dispatch staff reads the comments? I think it reflects poorly on the paper and the city to allow nonproductive hurtful comments from (often) non locals. I have to think people considering moving to Columbus are reading and thinking ‘What a bunch of cow town idiots.’

JRemy
    JRemy
    Participant

racheltb wrote >>
    I dug up this thread because of the completely insensitive comments on a story that ran in Friday’s dispatch about a friend of mine whose husband died. Bittersweet Help
    Do you think anyone on the Dispatch staff reads the comments? I think it reflects poorly on the paper and the city to allow nonproductive hurtful comments from (often) non locals. I have to think people considering moving to Columbus are reading and thinking ‘What a bunch of cow town idiots.’

I think they do read the comments people make. Recently, a friend of mine from high school had a younger brother who died tragically and was in the news. Some of the cruelest, meanest things were said. People passing judgment on someone they did not know and a situation that they were not a part of. It angered me, and I sent a twitter to a local news reporter about it. There response, “It’s a very sad story. Like you, I’m often amazed at how cruel and callous people can be. There is no explanation for it. :(”

It truly is a sad state of affairs when some people say what they say. It gets me riled up when people start commenting about things such as the new Convention Center Hotel, the Columbus Commons, about how people complain how it is a waste of government tax dollars, there tax dollars. It’s an investment I say so let it go. My fear is, politicians read these comments and think they are the opinions of the masses. I certainly hope not.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Why would they even leave commenting open on a personal situation like that. Bad choice on their part. Sorry about your friends racheltb.

chaptal
    Participant

Instant rage, that’s one thing the internet has helped to create. Few people sit to reflect about the words they put online, it’s all about right now and some of it pathetic and hateful.

Matthew
    Participant

On the topix/dispatch forum, if you go to the bottom beneath the comment box and number verification code for sending posts, there is a blue link called “send us your feedback.” Click that then select “report inappropriate post.” This gets posts removed within a day, whereas flagging does nothing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 318 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION