Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Dispatch Comment Section / Topix.com

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Dispatch Comment Section / Topix.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 318 total)
  • Author

robbt

Glad to see there are other people out here in the Cbus that are as disgusted by the comments on the dispatch site. I just googled dispatch comments suck and found this thread.

Coy
    Participant

Reading the comments section of articles on the most recent death of yet another bicyclist in Cbus will ruin your faith in humanity.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They’ve changed their site and now you need to register and log in to comment.

misskitty
    Participant

YES ! from the Dispatch

• Our new commenting tool eliminates almost all anonymous postings. While your email address won’t be known to the world, it will be known to us at Dispatch.com. Additionally, the tool integrates with social-networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter, making it easier to communicate with us. We’ve also made it easier to sign up for breaking news via text messages or emails, as well as other features to keep you informed at home, at work or on the go.

I think this will help a ton with those nasty posters. Thanks Dispatch

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, should really improve things over there. Or at the very least thin out the crazy.

TeamTopix is upset though:

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/columbus-dispatch/TGITM5FI8JPRKAD9P

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, should really improve things over there. Or at the very least thin out the crazy.

I imagin many will be pissed maybe they will find something more perductive to do with their day.
    One person in the page explaining the change said

Ben, Comments are arriving with the full name of the poster. You indicated the comments would be anonymous to everyone but the Dispatch? You also forcibly changed the old User Names of the posters (like myself). Clunky so far…

Oh my not being able to be anonymous is scary for some people.

cc

Walker said:

Lol…

“Fizzle wrote:
    It’s going to get real boring real fast.
    Yeah. But there’s still no reason not to continue feeding stories to these boards. People can continue to argue here while they would be hidden from Dispatch’s thin-skinned readership.”

So much time, so little sense.

dcarmello

There’s no denying it, Topix was a cesspool but I will be sad to see it go. With anonymous posting, you really get to see at what level a lot of Columbus functions. It may not be pretty, and I wish it wasn’t so most of the time, but just by silencing them with this barrier to entry you’re not stopping the way they really feel. It’s easy to get trapped in a bubble and assume that everyone thinks the way you and the people you associate with think. For me it was always interesting to shake up my world a little bit and see how the average unfiltered Columbus citizen views the world.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Today’s NYT article on Topix:

Topix, a site lightly trafficked in cities, enjoys a dedicated and growing following across the Ozarks, Appalachia and much of the rural South, establishing an unexpected niche in communities of a few hundred or few thousand people — particularly in what Chris Tolles, Topix’s chief executive, calls “the feud states.”

“If names had been put on and tied to what has been said, there would have been one killing after another,” said Lonnie Hendrix, Hyden’s mayor.

ha ha ha ha… oh topix.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Topix is gone now, but Dispatch commenters still flare up from time to time…

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/03/gay-men-seek-right-to-donate-blood.html

Twixlen
    Participant

Not only are the people stupid, but the puritanical ***’ing out of the word S-E-X is downright silly.

Oh, Dispatch.

cheap

the comments section needs more mexican drug dealers on it

that crap would stop real quick then.

Brant
    Participant

CNN: Have online comment sections become a joke?

“I don’t like going into the comments. … For every two comments that are interesting — even if they’re critical, you want to engage with them — there will be eight that are off-topic or just toxic,” [Gawker founder Nick Denton] said. And as sites get more popular, it’s harder to control the comments, which inevitably get nastier. “What you can manage on a small site … the level of discussion you can have on those is not the level you’re able to have on a newspaper site or one of our sites. Our smaller blogs have 2 million unique (visitors per month). … It’s hard to have that intimacy.”

dubdave00
    Participant

They’ve been a joke for years. YouTube and popular news sites are the worst.

While it’s NSFW and offends just about everyone, I always thought this summed up web comments: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/2563451/internet-commenter-business-meeting

PWNED!

JonMyers
    Participant

Topix is coming out with a commenting system based on politics… Gross:

Over the last couple of years, online forum Topix has become increasingly focused on politics. Today at the Launch conference, the site took the next step in that direction — accompanied by a patriotic marching band, CEO Chris Tolles announced a new service called Politix.

There’s no shortage of political websites, but he says there’s “no place for your political profile online.” Sure, you might read a political article on The Huffington Post and even leave a comment, but there’s no centralized location for all that activity. And you might occasionally share those articles on your social network of choice, but “you don’t want to be that guy on Facebook” who’s constantly annoying his friends with political commentary.

Politix Wants To Be The Center of Your Political Identity[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 318 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: