Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Crest Gastropub

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Crest Gastropub

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

DouginCMH said:
    … what I wonder about the Crest is: 1) has whoever is calling the shots at the Crest ever run a restaurant before and/or; 2) is there anyone really playing that role at all, or did the owner just kinda hope it would all come together with different people in charge of different parts of the business (food, drinks, beer, service)?

I can’t speculate on #2, but on #1 – yes, same owner has 4th St Bar & Grill (at N. 4th St. & 16th Ave.) and is working on opening the new market-y thing in Italian Village at Summit & 3rd.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I knew that, but my question then would be, is running 4th Street the same as running a ‘gastropub’?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think the multiple bar ownership and volume of beer sales through places like 4th street is what grants him the ability to get the super rare amazing kegs for Crest. Distributors don’t give those exclusive barrels to just anyone.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Agreed. And I believe the same people also own Savor Market and Savor Growl. It’s not just the exclusivity of the beers, but also the ability to rotate, what, 150 taps? Ensure that the beer stays fresh.

That might be a good business model for running a number of beer-friendly establishments in the same city, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that someone knows how to run a restaurant.

DouginCMH
    Participant

It had been several months since I’d last been to The Crest. And since I’ve been fairly open in my critical comments about the place, I want to take a moment to write about my generally positive experience at The Crest last week.

First, we sat outside, got a table in the shade (it was pretty warm) right before the weekday happy hour. Very nice vibe. Extremely friendly servers; maybe a bit too friendly and attentive (like coming by every few minutes attentive), but not bad at all.

Real updated menus; not those minimalist cards they used to have.

Not that it matters once you get there, but they now have a real website! Nothing fancy: http://thecrestgastropub.com/. But it does (finally) allow patrons to see their menu instead of asking their clientele to sift through a Facebook page. It has a handful of nice images. They also use the site, logically, to describe their approach to local food and provide a listing of the local providers they work with. It’s about time.

I can’t really comment about the food, as we only had some appetizers. But those, at least, were tasty.

The place, for me, is still too crowded and loud inside. But our outside spot was a great place to have a weekday happy hour conversation.

Now for few remaining issues:
    Their Facebook page still says their happy hour is 3-7 (I wasn’t able to find this info on their website). But when we arrived about 3:40, we were told HH is 4-7. Not a huge deal, but they need to get it cleared up.

It would be a lesser issue if (issue number two) their beer prices weren’t still so high. Scanning down the price list, the base prices don’t look too bad. Until you notice the high percentage of beers than come in small 10 oz. pours. Unlike what is common practice, these smaller portions aren’t reserved just for high alcohol beers (I had a witbier that was served in a 10 oz. glass). The Crest has a solid beer selection, but next time I’ll be sure to read the menu carefully, lest I order a 10 oz. pour of Founder’s Old Curmudgeon for $7, when I could have gotten a pint of it at Studio 35 for $6.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Great beer selection. Always changing and there is a very high chance they will have something for every palate. As it was explained to me, the 10 oz pour is either because it’s a limited edition beer. Like a small batch or something aged that takes up space for long periods of time. Or, it has a high ABV.

There is a healthy conversation about beer that kind of hangs over the bar. It’s something that everyone eventually talks about. The staff offers up their knowledge and their opinions about everything that is on tap. Not to mention samples, if you’re curious.

Something else that I think is worth mentioning. It’s half off all of their taps on Sundays. It’s because they have no Sunday liqueur license, I think. I was there just this past Sunday. After five or six beers my tab was still under twenty dollars.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Went last week and noticed that they have really scaled back the menu even more then before. (no more lamb burger) Normally you see this happen when places aren’t doing well, but it’s pretty obvious that is not the case here. New chef? Speed up the kitchen? just felt like it?

Not complaining, just interesting.

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

Their chef left for the Crafty Pint a couple months ago, so maybe that’s it.

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Their chef left for the Crafty Pint a couple months ago, so maybe that’s it.

And, their menu was absolutely massive compared to the amount of space they have for storage and production.

It has been quite a while since I last visited The Crest. But, from talking with some friends in the industry and a couple that have worked there. It is a logistical nightmare to offer so many hands-on, highly prepared dishes in the clown car they have for a kitchen.

Something has to change. Either the way they prepare their dishes, the raw materials or the menu. In order to avoid going down the Applebee’s route, having everything prepared off-site, the only other solution is to scale back the offerings.

With their business model, the “gastropub”, the idea is to keep people in their seats and drinking. As that is where the margins are the biggest. Offering food, thoughtfully curated and prepared, becomes another reason for you to stay and order another round.

patient_zero
    Participant

The previous menu may have been too large for the small space, but the “new” April menu than Dan referred to was uninspired. I was there the day the new menu kicked in I and was not impressed. If if you can’t concentrate on quality, than look at other solid options. The summer menu should be kicking in soon if not already? I enjoy Crest and their exceptional beers and I have confidence that they will culinary win us over.

DouginCMH
    Participant

They’re taking their time in the ‘winning us over’ part, at least on the food/restaurant side of things.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE