Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Crest Gastropub Is Going To Fail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Crest Gastropub Is Going To Fail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I doubt anyone would complain about their beer menu or selections. The Crest will be fine. They do need to put more attention to organizing their service though. As with most places there is more than one aspect that needs to be looked after. It is already 10x better than its predecessor.

My complaints about the beer options at the Crest are similar to what they are at a lot of other places. More doesn’t always mean better. And the choices are very top heavy with (expensive, except at happy hour) high alcohol beers. I love beer, but American craft brew does seem to be in a blunt instrument period, full of bourbon barrel-aged/imperial/double this and that (including many ‘styles’ that exist only in the mind of an individual brewer). Which, to me, is boring. Hell, I stood in line with the rest of the beer zealots in Columbus to get a bottle of Founders KBS. I get the appeal of a well-crafted strong beer. I just wouldn’t want to drink one everyday.

Apart from a beer list that’s – to me – just too filled with extreme, one-off beers, again, the place is billed as a gastropub, which implies the food and beer pairings have been thought through. I don’t get that at all. The Crest is like a bunch of reasonably talented musicians in an orchestra, but with no conductor. The beer guy does what (s)he wants; the food guy does what (s)he wants; whoever is supposed to be managing the floor does what (s)he wants. The total doesn’t equal the sum of its parts.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I feel the same way about the taps at YBP. There’s not one drinking tap, they’re all super heavy duty specific beers – can’t I get a little draft lager with my pizza?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

We don’t have any pilsners, but we do have a vanilla bourbon barrel aged gueze-IPA hybrid.

mrpoppinzs

mrpoppinzs said:
    I doubt anyone would complain about their beer menu or selections.

looks at floor and quietly walks to the corner.

Twixlen
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I feel the same way about the taps at YBP. There’s not one drinking tap, they’re all super heavy duty specific beers – can’t I get a little draft lager with my pizza?

This. And sometimes, I don’t want to spend $6 for a pint of beer.

My biggest complaint with Crest is that their menu doesn’t match the food served. If you say X is going to be on the sandwich, don’t serve it with Y. Particularly if X was the better idea.

MFRONE
    Participant

If you don’t want to drink craft beer that rotates all the time, then don’t go there. There is a reason Draft Magazine named them a top 5 new beer place to check out in the country last month.

leftovers

They are doing alright if this many people are willing to post about them. I don’t recall a single post when it was the old Crest.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    I don’t recall a single post when it was the old Crest.

None until it was announced that it was closing:

The Crest Gastropub (Formerly The Crest Tavern)

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: