Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Hollywood Casino - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Hollywood Casino – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,264 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #370413

    InnerCore
    Participant

    joev said:
    If you think ANYONE would fly in for any of the Ohio casinos, you’re being delusional. Casinos are no longer rare. Vegas’ casino income has decreased in the past decade -pretty significantly, actually.

    I’m pretty sure I wasn’t delusional when I read:

    In its first month of operations, the casino – and downtown Cleveland – has welcomed thousands of locals as well guests from across the United States and foreign countries to explore the newest full-service gaming entertainment destination in the United States.

    #370414

    InnerCore
    Participant

    byJody said:
    If casino’s are such a great economic boost then the West side is the perfect petri dish to show the effect.

    How about we do this, let’s track the benefit of the downtown casinos in Cleveland and Cincinnati vs. the west side Hollywood casino.

    So far the downtown Cleveland casino has helped local hotels, restaurants, bar, etc. While Hollywood casino has helped a couple used car dealers and fast food restaurants.

    byJody said:If it needs to be located in an already thriving district to do well, then It’s not really the stimulant it claims to be.

    Were not talking about the casino doing well. Hollywood casino has already turned $212 million in profit. But that is one company. Were talking about translating the visitors of the casion into patrons of other local establishments. It’s hard to visit other establishments when the casino is surrounded by a sea of parking in the middle of nowhere. Other than stopping at the gas station on the way in or out.

    byJody said:The Hollywood is much closer to downtown than the airport and convention guests seem to get there OK.

    This is ridiculous. No one cares how far it is from the airport. The issue is how far is it from other attractions. You can stay at a hotel downtown, visit a conference, and then at night go out visit other bars and restaurants at night. Which is part of the problem with Columbus. If you are visiting then most of the attractions aren’t in a similar area.

    So if you’re here for a convention and you catch a cab from the airport to downtown and you want to go shopping, then you need to get out to Easton. If you want to visit the casino then you need to get out the west side. That continues to make it less likely people are going to want to fly in or less likely that they experience all these things while they’re here. That’s the whole purpose of hosting conventions. To bring people in to visit the city they wouldn’t otherwise visit. You want to put your best foot forward. So when that person flies in for the convention and after they’re done for the day, they can walk to nice restaurants, bars, pro sports, and a casino that helps to reach a critical mass. We’ve got the hotel now, the Bluejackets, along with an increasing number of restaurants and bars. The casino should have been another piece of the puzzle.

    #370415

    Lu
    Participant

    InnerCore said:
    I’m pretty sure I wasn’t delusional when I read:

    In its first month of operations, the casino – and downtown Cleveland – has welcomed thousands of locals as well guests from across the United States and foreign countries to explore the newest full-service gaming entertainment destination in the United States.

    Wow, who knew that our humble little casino was pulling in guests from “across the United States and foreign countries.” So you’re telling me that these world travelers, who could choose to visit Vegas, Macao, Atlantic City, or Monaco, are instead flocking to…..Westland?

    #370416

    byJody
    Participant

    Lu said:
    Wow, who knew that our humble little casino was pulling in guests from “across the United States and foreign countries.” So you’re telling me that these world travelers, who could choose to visit Vegas, Macao, Atlantic City, or Monaco, are instead flocking to…..Westland?

    No, but s/he believes they are flocking to Cleveland.

    #370417

    InnerCore
    Participant

    Lu said:
    Wow, who knew that our humble little casino was pulling in guests from “across the United States and foreign countries.” So you’re telling me that these world travelers, who could choose to visit Vegas, Macao, Atlantic City, or Monaco, are instead flocking to…..Westland?

    byJody said:
    No, but s/he believes they are flocking to Cleveland.

    So let me get this straight. Your argument is that basically Ohio sucks and no one outside of car drive would visit???

    I’m not saying that someone is going to pass on a trip to Vegas because they rather gamble in Ohio. But there are plenty of people (myself included) that like to travel to cities across the US. I’ve been to Vegas multiple times. But I’ve also been to other places like Nashville. People are allowed to visit more than one place. So when you start moving down the list of lesser known places things likes sports teams, casino, etc. help smaller places stand out as second options.

    If you can shop, dine, go to a pro sports team, gamble, visit a museum or historical district, etc. all within walking distance of a downtown Ohio city then why not visit. Outside of the obvious travel destinations like NY, SF, DC, Miami, etc. why not visit Ohio. Are you really saying that Ohio cities shouldn’t be trying to compete with cities like Denver, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, etc.

    #370418
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    buckette13 said:
    The last couple of times I have been to the Arena District on a weekend evening, trashy comes to mind.

    Are you talking about The Arena District proper, or the bars over on Park Street by The North Market? I often hear people refer to each of those areas with interchangeable names.

    I ask because I’ve been running through the middle of the Arena District (down Nationwide Boulevard) twice a week for the past year and the only time I ever saw anything resembling “trashy” was some scantily clad college girls on their way to the Pretty Lights show at The LC one evening last summer. Most of the rest of the time it’s pretty regular/normal crowds through there.

    #370419

    myliftkk
    Participant

    Is there still a casino in Columbus? I completely forgot it even existed.

    #370420

    Gil Ligg
    Member

    I guarantee the move to the westside was an act of elitist pomposity. The elitist snobs behind the anti-casino in the Arena District campaign didn’t want certain types of people coming to their neighborhood. They didn’t want the west siders coming to their neck of the woods so they moved the casino to them.

    #370421
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Gil Ligg said:
    I guarantee the move to the westside was an act of elitist pomposity. The elitist snobs behind the anti-casino in the Arena District campaign didn’t want certain types of people coming to their neighborhood. They didn’t want the west siders coming to their neck of the woods so they moved the casino to them.

    So you’re saying only undesirables come from the West side? Because the South side has a lot of undesirables as well!

    #370422

    MRipley
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Are you talking about The Arena District proper, or the bars over on Park Street by The North Market? I often hear people refer to each of those areas with interchangeable names.

    I ask because I’ve been running through the middle of the Arena District (down Nationwide Boulevard) twice a week for the past year and the only time I ever saw anything resembling “trashy” was some scantily clad college girls on their way to the Pretty Lights show at The LC one evening last summer. Most of the rest of the time it’s pretty regular/normal crowds through there.

    Note to self: Take up jogging in place outside the Pretty Lights show at The LC next summer. Thanks! :)

    #370423

    melikecheese
    Participant

    It is interesting to see and read peoples wild speculations about the casino in this thread.

    The elitist snobs moving it cause of the “people” it might attract is my new favorite.

    #370424
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    melikecheese said:

    The elitist snobs moving it cause of the “people” it might attract is my new favorite.

    You should probably go back and read many of the pre-move threads then, talking about everything from the criminal elements to the blue-hairs that would be brought into the AD if the casino was there.

    #370425

    NerosNeptune
    Participant

    melikecheese said:
    It is interesting to see and read peoples wild speculations about the casino in this thread.

    The elitist snobs moving it cause of the “people” it might attract is my new favorite.

    That was the reason.. though I don’t think people specifically cited west siders as the undesirables.

    InnerCore said:
    I’m pretty sure I wasn’t delusional when I read:

    In its first month of operations, the casino – and downtown Cleveland – has welcomed thousands of locals as well guests from across the United States and foreign countries to explore the newest full-service gaming entertainment destination in the United States.

    I’m sorry but it’s hilarious to think that people are flying in from around the world specifically to visit the Cleveland casino. Maybe someone is in for a big meeting/convention and decided to go check out the casino.. then a casino worker saw a foreigner inside and assumed they’d flown there just to gamble?
    Similarly, foreigners in town go to blue jackets games, but you can’t say people are coming from all over the world to see hockey in Columbus.

    #370426

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/02/05/hollywood-trails-scioto-in-revenue-from-slots.html

    See, if the casino can’t even compete with Scioto Downs, I think there is far more going on than location.

    #370427
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    jbcmh81 said:
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/02/05/hollywood-trails-scioto-in-revenue-from-slots.html

    See, if the casino can’t even compete with Scioto Downs, I think there is far more going on than location.

    I would rather go to some smelly horse race full of WV carnies than Columbus Hollywood Casino for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,264 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: