Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

THE CAP

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They’re getting a little bluish as they fade.

There used to be a lot of gas stations with plastic landscape plants. When they closed in the 70s – 80s, the buildings were razed and the lots stood empty, but in many cases the plastic plants remained for years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I am curious why those statues were left off, any insights?

Financing. Our understand is that budget overruns caused the art sculpture/statue portions to be dropped. There was no public grant/funding available at that time either to close the gap. I don’t think anyone has thought too much of it since then.

It’s worth noting that if this statue/sculpture project moves forward it is most likely that it will be owned/maintained by a public or nonprofit entity like the Short North Alliance, and not owned by The Cap’s private developer.

I get that it’s impractical to maintain live plants that would be elevated like that, but can we at least swap them out. They’re getting a little bluish as they fade.

There have been jokes about that at pretty much every meeting we’ve had in the past few months. ;)

Recommendations for live plantings have been made by anyone and everyone, but there’s no specific entity that wants to be tasked with paying for them and maintaing them at this point in time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Took a quick photo of the artwork platforms from three stories up in The Joseph hotel today. ;)

Hopefully we’ll eventually have statues to view up there eventually!

urbanenthusiast
    urbanenthusiast
    Participant

I had an understanding and knowledge of the cap’s history. I know what it did and the accolades it received. It was and is the perfect solution to the problems it resolved.
    That said, it’s still butt ugly. LOL.
    The coloration is horrible and drab. And by the way, I love the Convention Center and it’s use of color. But now I’m even wondering if that might be “revisited” with regards to color esthetic.

KACramer
    KACramer
    Participant

I still love the cap. Especially when the patios are full and it is lined with flowers and greenery in the summer.

theadocj
    Participant

Ew, the convention center’s aesthetic is anything but. It seriously needs an overhaul. Glad the project on the interior is getting underway, but the outside screams 90s and needs some attention too. As someone who attends large national meetings there on a regular basis, everyone attending was starting to really get frustrated and cut on the few amenities and wear and tear that wasn’t being addressed. And I bet that project gets enhanced if there’s a political convention on the books.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Ew, the convention center’s aesthetic is anything but. It seriously needs an overhaul. Glad the project on the interior is getting underway, but the outside screams 90s and needs some attention too. As someone who attends large national meetings there on a regular basis, everyone attending was starting to really get frustrated and cut on the few amenities and wear and tear that wasn’t being addressed. And I bet that project gets enhanced if there’s a political convention on the books.

The mixed-use project briefly proposed for the north end of the CC would’ve helped, but alas, we can’t have nice things like that.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE