Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Brunner - 5-Story Mixed-Use Building Proposed in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Brunner – 5-Story Mixed-Use Building Proposed in Short North

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Proposal Calls for Five Story Building Across from Northstar
    August 18, 2014 4:10 pm – Brent Warren

The pace of development in Italian Village shows no signs of slowing any time soon. Wood Companies has proposed a five-story mixed-use building for 940 North High Street – the concept will be presented at tomorrow’s Italian Village Commission meeting, where commissioners will also weigh in on Borror Properties’ six-story Pearl Alley proposal.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/wood-companies-proposal-calls-for-five-story-building-across-from-northstar-bw1

News
    Participant

Flora Home and Garden Closing in The Short North
    January 3, 2015 3:48 pm – Walker Evans

After two and a half years and two locations, Flora Home and Garden is closing up shop in the Short North. The urban gardening store originally opened at 988 North High in 2012, and relocated to 930 North High a year later.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/flora-home-and-garden-closing-in-the-short-north

heresthecasey
    Participant

Looks like the developer’s getting ready to start work on this!

I wonder if it will begin rihgt after Leafy Dale is done? Wood is definitely going to be pretty busy if Brunner, Parkside, and Hubard PP are all going up at the same time…

New 5-Story Building Set to Begin Construction in the Short North

Since the initial announcement in August, the two businesses which occupied those existing structures, The Co+Op Shop and Flora Home and Garden, have both closed or relocated.

Now, it appears the proposal has moved closer to reality and is set to soon begin construction.

Plans submitted to the City of Columbus show the developer is seeking to start demolition of both buildings currently on-site, and begin excavation and foundation work for the new 5-story structure.

http://columbusight.com/2015/05/20/new-5-story-building-set-to-begin-construction-in-the-short-north/

Mercurius
    Participant

Parkside isn’t going up ’til Summer ’16.

WJT
    Participant

This is how they should do the renderings for any Clintonville project-simply don’t fill out the top floor on the rendering so you trick them into thinking it is shorter! lol.

loudiamondtabs
    loudiamondtabs
    Participant

I like the design, but 4 stories on the street front is a bit short, especially considering what may go up around the street. I prefer at least 5 stories. The Fireproof building is another example of a 4 story building that just doesn’t seem tall enough.

News
    Participant

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/updates-on-italian-village-projects-to-go-before-commission-for-review-bw1

“The Wood Companies is going back to the Italian Village Commission this week with a new, taller proposal for their Brunner Building at 930 North High Street.”

Nancy H
    Participant

Since we have been talking about this building in relationship to the Donatos build – I thought I would bump it.

I know many on CU like tall buildings with lots of glass, but I find that rather boring. Slapping brick on the facade does not make a new building sympathetic to a 100 year old brick one.

I really like how the Brunner Building is sympathetic to the older nearby buildings by picking up on the rhythm of the window openings, horizontal lines, break up of the facade and the down at street level pedestrian elements. It looks like the grandson of any number of our older buildings without feeling fake old.

I will gladly endure the beeping of construction vehicles when this breaks ground. I can sleep through the bulldozer noises and even driving pilings, but that beeping when heavy equipment backs up is like fingernails on chalkboard. Someone in harm’s way would have to be deaf not to hear it – everybody else can hear it two blocks away.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I typically like more modern designs, but I think this is the perfect approach for this lot. It’ll blend in seamlessly with the buildings to the north. Can’t wait for it to break ground!

Nancy H
    Participant

One of the things that has made the SN a good (and successful) approach to urban redevelopment is we have lots of developers, with budgets ranging from big to shoestring. So, we get a variety of ideas and approaches.

Along those lines, what I find disappointing about Grandview yard is the homogeneous feel. It looks like what it is – a single minded idea spread over a large area. I always felt that way about the Brewery District too. Not to disparage what the Edwards Company did, but it is too much one single idea.

Neighborhoods are not built in a day. Redeveloping them doesn’t happen by broad brushstrokes either.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Along those lines, what I find disappointing about Grandview yard is the homogeneous feel. It looks like what it is – a single minded idea spread over a large area.

I like what’s going on in Grandview Yard, but you’re right about it being a single minded idea spread out because it is all designed by one architectural firm. Not only that the whole thing is being built around the same time. Unlike the Short North which spans over a century of development.

Nancy H
    Participant

Had a short conversation with Mark Wood yesterday afternoon. They plan to break ground on the Brunner building soon. The IVC specifically asked them to try to coordinate their work with the Donato’s work, to help reduce disruption to traffic on High Street.

They are still finishing up on Leafydale and hope to break ground on the Hubbard Park Place project this fall. Parkside on Pearl will not break ground this year because they are waiting for a bunch of utilities around and through the site to get relocated.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Nice! Thanks for the update.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy!

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

This passed muster, demo work to begin on 930 & 940 buildings in December
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/11/03/developer-gets-ok-to-build-short-north-apartment.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO