Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Bourbon Thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat The Bourbon Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)
  • Author

saturn500f
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Willett, too.
    Rowan’s Creek, Noah’s Mill, and Willett Pot Still Reserve are all in my cabinet.
    Sounds like I need to try Johnny Drum.

saturn500f
    Participant

Last year I toured the Willett distillery and picked up a bottle of Rowan’s Creek.
    When I’ve traveled out of Ohio I have pickled up more Rowan’s Creek and also their Noah’s Mill small batch 15 years old and the Willett Pot Still Reserve, all three are great in different ways. I might have to try their other Small batch & Single barrel brands.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Picked up a bottle of Michter’s a month or so ago, finally gave it try last night.

Butter, followed by notes of butter with a buttery butter finish. Loved it.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Butter the way bad Chardonnay is taste like butter, or butter as in…that was butter! butter?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Oh it was buttery delicious buttery not bad buttery.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Five years plus, this thread.*

In all that time I stand by the Birthday Bourbon from Old Forester as being one of the most round, fun and interesting glasses out.

*coincidently enjoying the 2009.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Butter the way bad Chardonnay is taste like butter, or butter as in…that was butter! butter?

that buttery flavor is produced from the barreling in both wines and whiskey. It’s the same chemicals. With the stereotypical over-oaked cali chard, that compound usually subtracts from the experience, but with a good whiskey it can add a really nice finish.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

We were in Louisville over the weekend (Louder than Life music festival) and got to hang out with the President of the Louisville Bourbon Society and got quite the education. Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong :(

Also bought back waaay too much Bourbon, some of them super excited to try.

Anonymous
    Inactive

FYI, Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond is available in Ohio. Happy Father’s Day to me.

chaptal
    Participant

Took a trip to Glasgow to try Old Rip Van Winkle for the first time. I’d never seen a bottle before. Good stuff, but not wait in a line at 3AM for a bottle good. The bar is Chinaski’s. Great place with an impressive bourbon selection by any country’s standards.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

Does anyone know of any Columbus restaurants/bars that received any bottles of Pappy this year?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Does anyone know of any Columbus restaurants/bars that received any bottles of Pappy this year?

Giuseppe’s has the 15 year. Wing’s had the 23 year last time I was there. Both in Bexley.

ricospaz
    Participant

I heard Weiland’s got some but the line was there and they were gone.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong

You can’t just tease us like that! Doing what wrong?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

It’s all about the ice and the right amount and the timing.
    We done a neat little experiment where we sampled 3 different bourbons. First flight was neat (no ice); the bourbon was just what you would expect, pretty hot and strong flavors of cinnamon. Second round we used just a chip of ice and let it start to melt just a bit, this time the bourbon was not as hot and we noticed some different flavors could be that it was just a little cooler, but the caramel and vanilla flavors were more pronounced. Third flight we added another piece of ice, this one a bit larger and we let it sit a wee longer. This round the bourbon took on a more boozy taste, you could really taste the alcohol.
    His point was that the right amount of ice at the right time can improve the experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: