Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Bourbon Thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat The Bourbon Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 544 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Welcome to The Bourbon Thread. It is intended as a discussion place for all things bourbon – mmm!

So bourbons I like are:

Every day normal drinking: Bulleit, sometimes Makers if I’ve got a sweet tooth. Russels Reserve from Wild Turkey is also affordable and tasty!

Out and feeling a little fancy: Basil Haydens perhaps, or 1792 is a real treat. Also like Bookers and Blantons quite a bit.

Best bourbon I’ve ever had: Pappy Van Winkle 15-year

Bourbons I’ve had and really don’t like: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig

I prefer rocks most times, but wouldn’t dare put Pappy on ice.

Share your stories, favorites, etc. GO!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I prefer rocks most times, but wouldn’t dare put Pappy on ice.
    Share your stories, favorites, etc. GO!

I usually prefer rocks too, but yes, there are some that suffer unduly from dilution.

Have you ever tried using stones? You can buy “whiskey stones” which are non-porous rocks shaped in nice small cube form. Put ’em in the freezer for 4 hours and they chill your booze without adding water or changing the flavor.

Or you could just use your own non-porous rock that you find and clean, but the average person likely does not know which rocks are porous or not. (i would recommend a nice slate, quartzite, soapstone, or (one of my favorites) Serpentinite.

My results with these are mixed. Rock has a pretty low thermal conductivity, so it takes a lot of small rocks to chill a drink in a reasonable time. On the other hand… no dilution.

Hael

Jim Beam neat w/ side of rocks. If I want fancier brown booze, I step up to Scotch. Everything is else is for dandies. ; )

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Hael wrote >>
    Jim Beam neat w/ side of rocks. If I want fancier brown booze, I step up to Scotch. Everything is else is for dandies. ; )

Jim Beam is like a fancy-pants version of Old Crow if you really want to go there…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Bulleit was an accidental discovery but one I have really come to enjoy. Depending on my mood, I switch between this and CC for a lot of my mixed drinks. I just wish more bars had ginger ale.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Bulleit was an accidental discovery but one I have really come to enjoy. Depending on my mood, I switch between this and CC for a lot of my mixed drinks. I just wish more bars had ginger ale.

True, I also wish more bars had Bulleit! Or other misc top shelf bourbons, anything but Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve, bleh!

Mercurius
    Participant

I usually go with products from Buffalo Trace Distillery. My “everyday” bourbon is their flagship, Buffalo Trace. It is aged nine years and while it isn’t a single barrel, it is a blend of three barrels. I toured the major distilleries and Buffalo Trace was heads and tails above the rest. They are also using organic corn, which is nice. Buffalo Trace is the same price, if not cheaper, than Bulleit, aged longer and with more quality.

For a rye, right now I have a Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond 100 proof rye. I enjoy it for what it is but mostly use it to mix. My favorite ever is Van Winkle 12 Year Old Lot B. Which also comes from the Buffalo Trace Distillery (as does the Pappy Van Winkle 15, 20 and 23 year old.) I find usually anything older then 15 years starts to taste more like wood than whiskey, not good. 12 years seems to be perfect.

They also do some other fun things.
    http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx
    http://www.greatbourbon.com/ExperimentalCollection.aspx

Snarf wrote >>
    Bourbons I’ve had and really don’t like: Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig

The most picturesque distillery and that probably has the most potential is Labrot and Graham who makes Woodford Reserve. Unfortunately, they are owned by Brown-Forman who seems more concerned with making money then a good product.

Maybe a Slow Food trip to Kentucky is in order.

robyoungiii
    Participant

Was at Bourbon DC (in DC, of course) last night. Was a special event with a client so we went a little overboard – Wild Turkey Freedom (not worth price), Four Roses Mariage (very, very good), Pappy 23 (standard by which others are compared against), and Willett “Iron Fist” Rye (good).

Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 (the bourbon guy at the store swears by it) and Willett “Pancake” 5 year from International Wines on M St. The selection in Ohio really sucks compared to other states.

Recently switched to Russell’s Reserve as my “standard” at home. Really liking Bookers too. Been passing it by but giving it another look based on a taste this week at the hotel bar.

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear was gracious and let me taste some of his Hudson Baby Bourbon, which is 100% corn and it was some interesting stuff. I was expecting sweet, but not so. It was really spicy and primal stuff. I liked that.

Details has the stuff from Cinci. Seems most are saying it’s a pass but I’m certainly looking forward to more “micro” distilleries popping up. Anyone with some venture capital want to purchase a still. I think I can navigate the law and with Bear and Andrew Hall’s know how, I’m convinced we could make a superior product.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’ve become increasingly fond of Bulleit in the past year. It’s my go-to drink at SJT these days as a good sipping booze. On the other hand, I highly recommend Old Crow as a temporary fix for bronchitis symptoms. A double shot of that allowed me to speak for the first time all day (and those of you who know me know I love to talk).

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >> Anyone with some venture capital want to purchase a still. I think I can navigate the law and with Bear and Andrew Hall’s know how, I’m convinced we could make a superior product.

It’s easy enough to make a still. With modern thermometer and materials technology it’s easier than ever. I’ve built a couple of small ones to do specific experiments.

It’s the legal issues that are the tricky part.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >> Anyone with some venture capital want to purchase a still. I think I can navigate the law and with Bear and Andrew Hall’s know how, I’m convinced we could make a superior product.

It’s easy enough to make a still. With modern thermometer and materials technology it’s easier than ever. I’ve built a couple of small ones to do specific experiments.

Damn government…

Mercurius
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Damn government…

Really, if it were not for the place in Cinci, I’d be worried, but now that it is in operation, I’m convinced I could get another variance. I know some people.

Especially if they thought they could get some new tax and make some jobs. Best to ask at a fundraiser where everyone has a drink in their hand.

When things get rough, as they often do, I find solace reading from the gospel of St. Mark…Maker’s Mark, that is…never lets me down…

Roland
    Participant

Bulleit is my usual go-to for bourbon. I prefer it neat with a glass of ice water on the side.

I would like to give Buffalo Trace another try. My first go with it was after tasting 5 other bourbons and I honestly can’t keep them straight after 2 or 3. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 544 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.