Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Awkward Art of Neighborhood Naming

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Awkward Art of Neighborhood Naming

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

@thecandlelab Both of those examples are city standard installations. They are the same in each neighborhood/area, with only the name swapped out. What would you rather have them say? ‘Grandview’? Now that would be confusing, IMO.

I don’t think anyone visiting the area is going to be put off or bewildered by seeing something labled as 5xNW. That is the official name of the area (http://columbus.gov/areacommissions/5thbynorthwest/). Maybe take it up with the city if you and others feel it should be changed, but I’m really not seeing the problem here.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

That sign is pretty small. I doubt a lot of people even notice it.

Mike88
    Participant

Here are the two photos I promised above. One is a monstrosity of a bike rack that the businesses on that block fought because it really chokes off walking traffic and visibility, and the second is a sign stuck right in the middle of the sidewalk by the Grandview Cafe. Nothing says “This is our turf” like making people walk around your sign in the hopes of building your commission’s brand.

<br>

That “monstrosity of a bike rack” is something I use when I ride over to these neighborhoods. I use those bike racks around town all the time and actually really like their presence. I find it hard to believe that because that exists people will suddenly stop walking on that sidewalk.

This whole post smacks of the overly dramatic. Sure the 5thxNW sign by Grandview Cafe isn’t the prettiest thing in the world but how does it hurt the area? I am totally not seeing your point on either of those things posted.

MRipley
    Participant

Here are the two photos I promised above. One is a monstrosity of a bike rack that the businesses on that block fought because it really chokes off walking traffic and visibility, and the second is a sign stuck right in the middle of the sidewalk by the Grandview Cafe. Nothing says “This is our turf” like making people walk around your sign in the hopes of building your commission’s brand.

Business’s fought these signs/bike rack because they choke off walking traffic and visibility? Really?

A little stick sign that’s hardly even noticeable doesn’t seem to “mark territory” nearly as much as the tables and chairs in front of Staufs that create a trip-hazard maze for walkers to thread through, or the raised patios that choke the side walk to a single lane in front of the businesses directly across from Spagio. Then there are all those visibility blocking trees to contend with..

But really, this place has become a pedestrians nightmare with that crazy big bike rack and couple of street signs.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This whole post smacks of the overly dramatic. Sure the 5thxNW sign by Grandview Cafe isn’t the prettiest thing in the world but how does it hurt the area? I am totally not seeing your point on either of those things posted.

+1

thecandlelab
    Participant

We aren’t upset about the signage blocking the sidewalk or obstructing pedestrians. The merchants are upset that we are trying to brand Grandview Avenue as a shopping and dining district, and signage like this makes that more difficult. Of course people can walk around these things – I am commenting on the inconsistent branding of chopping up a cohesive stretch of Grandview Avenue into different districts that are of no concern to our visitors/customers.

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: