Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Awkward Art of Neighborhood Naming

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The Awkward Art of Neighborhood Naming

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author

jOHnH
    Participant

On Neil Ave, one of the stones says “Welcome to Dennison Park” or something along those lines and I have never heard that used before. Funny how these names evolve, I grew up in ‘Franklinton’ but it was always called the bottoms when I was growing up.

jOHnH
    Participant

AMEEKER
    Participant

rus said:
    The only people I know who call my neighborhood ‘Fifth by Northwest’ are people on this board.

Everyone else I know calls it the Columbus part of Grandview or just Grandview, if they think of it at all.

The City of Columbus calls it that. Google maps calls it that.

mrpoppinzs

I have also heard it called Tri-Village.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Or Tri-Village…

That’s where that name comes from? Only heard it used in one place, but was curious about it…

mrpoppinzs

I think ‘Tri-Village Post Office’ is also inscribed on the entablature of Z-Cucina.

Coreroc

AMEEKER said:
    The City of Columbus calls it that. Google maps calls it that.

fifth by northwest on Google maps indicates the area the same exact way that they identify Kingswood apartments. So I wouldn’t consider that an official source for the name used by few.

Personally I think that this kind of micro name for a neighborhood is just silly and pointless unless the neighborhood has a specific draw that deserves a specific title. The Short North Arts District is a great example of this, but 5xnw is pretty much the worst ever. If we had to rename each section of the city that has a Chipotle and a UDF as some new section of Columbus that deserves merrit then we are all spinning our wheels in the wrong direction.

pez
    Participant

murfmurphy said:
    Sort of off topic, but awkward neighborhood names made me think of this. Has anyone been in, or seen, the neighborhood off of Rome Hilliard Road where a bunch of the streets are named after athletic apparel companies? There are streets named Nike Dr., Reebok Dr., Saucony Dr, Converse Ct. and Adidas Ct. My wife and I looked at a house in that neighborhood and the street names alone made me shudder and not want to live there.

Just south of the neighborhood with Red Wynne Ln, Beringer Dr, Mondavi Ct and Ln, Sutter Home Rd and Olde Vintage. Wild Irish Rose Rd and Md 20/20 Dr seem to be missing though.

Pablo
    Participant

rus said:
    That’s where that name comes from? Only heard it used in one place, but was curious about it…

I don’t have anything against 5XMW but I think Tr-Village sounds cozier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Columbus,_Ohio#Tri-Village

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

From my perception, the craze for pocket neighborhood naming in Columbus is recent, deliberate and successful. I only started hearing names such as Merion Village, Ganther’s Place, the King Lincoln District and so forth about 5-10 years ago, and since then the transformation of those neighborhoods has been dramatic.

Then of course, there’s the “Chicken District”.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

5XNW? Tri-Village? I just call it Grandview, even if it isn’t really Grandview proper. The Grandview and technically-not-Grandview parts all seem to blend together around Grandview Ave anyhow.

BuenaVista

Franklinton, 5xNW, King-Lincoln, and Weiland Park are all great examples of names never being used outside of the internet.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

BuenaVista said:
    Franklinton, 5xNW, King-Lincoln, and Weiland Park are all great examples of names never being used outside of the internet.

Or the local media:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2010/08/28/15million-pledged-to-kick-start-weinland-park-area.html

Or local government:

http://development.columbus.gov/planning/content.aspx?id=31581

Or realtors:

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/neighborhood/oh/Columbus/Fifth%20by%20Northwest

Or documentary film makers:

http://beta.wosu.org/tomrieland/tag/king-lincoln-district/

But yeah. Other than that, its just the internet.

BuenaVista

Thanks for providing INTERNET links Core. Again, no one outside of the internet uses those names. I suggest unplugging the computer Core, and experiencing your city first hand. No one uses those names, period. Do you get out much Core?

rus
    rus
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    5XNW? Tri-Village? I just call it Grandview, even if it isn’t really Grandview proper. The Grandview and technically-not-Grandview parts all seem to blend together around Grandview Ave anyhow.

That’s what I see as well, as far as common usage goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: