Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The 15 types of communities that make up America

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion The 15 types of communities that make up America

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

Interesting interactive map from Washington Post: The 15 types of communities that make up America. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/12/another-way-to-explain-who-we-are-the-15-types-of-communities-that-make-up-america/?tid=sm_fb

A couple things peaked my interest. Communities are listed by county. Franklin County/Columbus Metro is considered “BIG CITIES”, where Hamilton County/Cincinnati is considered Urban Suburb. Licking County/Newark (New Albany possibly?) is considered Middle Suburb. Delaware County/Lewis Center/Orange Township,etc is considered “Exurbs” .

Very interesting! Do you agree with the Washington Post?

lattethunder
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    Interesting interactive map from Washington Post: The 15 types of communities that make up America. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/12/another-way-to-explain-who-we-are-the-15-types-of-communities-that-make-up-america/?tid=sm_fb

A couple things peaked my interest. Communities are listed by county. Franklin County/Columbus Metro is considered “BIG CITIES”, where Hamilton County/Cincinnati is considered Urban Suburb. Licking County/Newark (New Albany possibly?) is considered Middle Suburb. Delaware County/Lewis Center/Orange Township,etc is considered “Exurbs” .

Very interesting! Do you agree with the Washington Post?

Those descriptions make a lot of sense. Delaware county is textbook exurban sprawl, and to be fair, there are suburbs in this country that are larger than Cincy (Mesa, AZ springs to mind).

I would say Licking county as a whole is largely exurban, but then New Albany/Gahanna/Reynoldsurgs (where I imagine a large portion of the county reside) is definitely “middle suburb.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: