Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Thanks for the cheap shot, Nationwide

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Thanks for the cheap shot, Nationwide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Neil Jaye

What is it they say about imitation and flattery? Who knows, it may help your branding a little. Nationwide is a large company. If these things are everywhere in the company it might provide some considerable reach. Maybe a small plus in a s&%ty situation.

I just spent five full minutes laughing to myself about the only producer of tire scented candles remark.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Displaced Columbusite said:
    I just spent five full minutes laughing to myself about the only producer of tire scented candles remark.

Given that there are white castle scented candles it’s not completely out of bounds.

Hell, if there was one that smelled like hoppes no. 9 I’d be tempted to buy one.

rus said:
    Given that there are white castle scented candles it’s not completely out of bounds.

Hell, if there was one that smelled like hoppes no. 9 I’d be tempted to buy one.

Oh I know, after I got done laughing I actually went to check the website.

Liner Notes
    Participant

I’ve sold monkey finger puppets. You can’t get 24 for five bucks. And regardless of the scent, you can’t get a Candle Lab candle for $5 either. Perhaps the city should use Nationwide’s method of pricing to get a deal on the arena.

Good luck Candle Lab. I hope you get the apology you deserve.

I am NOT a lawyer, but my librarian sense tells me that this would *probably* be fair use. (But again, I am not a lawyer.) I am hacked off that a company as big as NW would pick on a small local business for kicks, though. My bet is that some people sat around a table, thought this up, and ran with it without really considering that this makes NW look like an uncreative bully.

dchshnd

Ouch! That is a cheap shot. The designer of that piece could have created any kind of original candle design for the image, but clearly chose to copy yours and make it the focus of the ad. Whether mean spirited sarcasm or just plain lazy….it is unneccessary to so directly mock a local small business. Shoulda gone with the monkey finger puppet image……..

misskitty
    Participant

You should trademark it and send them a bill. It’s not all that uncommon google around and I bet you can find some different angles on it. That really stinks that they used the likeness of your logo I would consult someone can’t hurt.
    It would be cool if it brought in more business.
    I got to wonder though if those are at Nationwide and their workers see them depending on their exposure to the Short North and CL they may not recognize that logo and since it does not credit CL they wouldn’t think twice about it.
    That’s a lame situation sorry ya got to deal with it.

thecandlelab
    Participant

Everyone – just spoke to Nationwide and they explained the mistake and offered a heartfelt apology. I appreciate them making it right and taking steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again with another business, and that’s good enough for us. Thanks again for all the support!

Larissa
    Larissa
    Participant

Candle Lab, please reconsider pursuing legal action. I would highly recommend at least getting a free consultation from an intellectual property lawyer. This is NOT fair use, it is copyright violation and completely unacceptable. I can’t stress enough how vital it is to protect your company identity.

I’m really sorry you were targeted in this way.

Julianna
    Participant

I think since you have accepted their apology you might to pursue a relationship that works for you. Do they buy swag for clients or gifts for employees? See if you can get them to buy a bulk gift or if you can be their exclusive supplier of candles from Columbus.

You’ve got a number and they are apologetic…use it to promote your business.

Develop an insurance scented candle. (I’m trying to keep this on the up and up because taking swipes at Nationwide can be easy.) or something that is exclusive for them.

Just saying turn this lemon into some awesome lemonade that will pay for your next vacation.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

“Eau de Nationwide: The Candle on Your Side”

“It’s the Smell!: The Codes for Nationwide”

“The Sixth Scent: The Nationwide Candle”

Mr Man

MichaelC said:
    “Eau de Nationwide: The Candle on Your Side”

“It’s the Smell!: The Codes for Nationwide”

“The Sixth Scent: The Nationwide Candle”

How about a candle shaped like the Arena that smells like burning tax dollars?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mr Man said:
    How about a candle shaped like the Arena that smells like burning tax dollars?

ZINGA!

CBU

thecandlelab said:
    So…a friend who happens to be a Nationwide employee, who passed on a photo of a coaster that Nationwide put out to promote their mutual funds. They have taken an image of our candle with our logo/label on it, removed the text, and dropped in new text. I try to not to be too sensitive about this stuff, but this is so clearly a rip-off of our logo and trademark and a shot at our scented candles that its hard not to be pissed.

I’d like to thank the author of this article for bringing this to all of our attention. It brings tears to my eyes to see someone who tries not to be too sensitive about such things act that way you have here. I must say your response to such a matter has inspired me to NEVER buy one of your candles again. It appears you have stirred up quite the frenzy here. However I assure you that your supporters are minute in comparison to your opposers — who did not waste their time responding. What you should have taken as flattery or even free advertising you have twisted into something vile. I was actually brought to this article thanks to facebook. Before you get excited that you made it on facebook, I’d like to assure you that the post was not in your favor. You know those articles about people who are overly sensitive and cry foul about something so inapt that it stirs an outrage from the general public? Congratulations, you are now one of those people. Have a good day, and again thank you for bringing this to my attention – I shall forever buy my candles from a more responsible, professional vendor.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 106 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: