Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tell me about your CSA!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tell me about your CSA!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

Well, this is my second year and our second week this season w/ New Century CSA out of Pickaway county. The first week our cooler was overflowing with romaine, spinach, napa cabbage, radishes, green onions, kohlrabi (soooo yummy), snap peas and shell peas, red raspberries and strawberries.
    Week number two was minus the fruit but added a yellow squash and larger onion. My fridge is so full of greens, I don’t think we can eat it all. The neighbors love us!
    We purchased the fruit option this year again. Last year the watermelons, especially the yellow ones, were amazingly sweet.
    How’s everyone else’s crop coming along?

_bluescreek

Has anyone who is involved (or is looking to get involved) in produce CSAs ever thought about doing a Meat CSA? We have recently started our own Meat CSAs[/url] and they have been a huge hit! But we’re always looking for hints on who we can improve our CSAs, and after reading this thread I’m wondering about us doing a smaller CSA for single or light meat eaters. Would anyone have an thoughts or suggestions?

Parker
    Participant

We have a share with the Sippel Family Farm. Ben and Lisa are great and their CSA runs from May to mid-November (sometimes even late Nov). Monthly pot-lucks at the farm are a lot of fun, and if you have young kids, their son can help give them a tour.

They also have pastured beef and pork for those interested (and brats from Lisa’s family recipe) and are starting to make sheep’s milk cheese.

Not to gripe, and this is off topic so I apologize upfront. . . Local Matters has good information on their site, but I really wish they had more genuine community engagement.

Parker
    Participant

_bluescreek wrote >>
    Has anyone who is involved (or is looking to get involved) in produce CSAs ever thought about doing a Meat CSA? We have recently started our own Meat CSAs[/url] and they have been a huge hit! But we’re always looking for hints on who we can improve our CSAs, and after reading this thread I’m wondering about us doing a smaller CSA for single or light meat eaters. Would anyone have an thoughts or suggestions?

I *like* your idea about light meat eaters. We don’t eat meat at every meal, but we also aren’t vegetarian (but support those that are!), so this sounds like a good idea.

How does your meat CSA currently work?

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

I did just sign up for my first veggie CSA and I am so excited for it to start!!!

I have definitely thought about doing a meat CSA. The main drawback has been that they are expensive and (for me at least) difficult to get that much capital together at one time. I like the idea of the single/light meat eater option.

kitty

_bluescreek wrote >>

I would be interested in something like this. The current shares offer too much meat for 2 people with an apartment sized freezer. If I had a bigger freezer the small special meat CSA would be good, but it would last much longer than the months of pickup.

Cardiff

Bluescreek – I would love a payment plan for your meat CSA. We pay our fruit & veggie CSA all winter long in installments which is really helpful.

_bluescreek

Parker wrote >>

_bluescreek wrote >>

I *like* your idea about light meat eaters. We don’t eat meat at every meal, but we also aren’t vegetarian (but support those that are!), so this sounds like a good idea.
    How does your meat CSA currently work?

We have a “CSA Appreciation Day” … where everyone who has gotten a CSA (and their families) come out to the farm for an evening of farm fun! Right now we are only having two a year, but we are working to make it more of a regular occurrence.
    Our next CSAs[/url] start in March (ending May/June)… so we might try and figure out a smaller CSA that could start in August (for lighter meat eaters). But our CSAs are set up for 3-4 months and there is only one pickup a month. Each CSA has a different price & amount of meat per pickup.
    http://bluescreekfarmmeats.com/csas/

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Just curious if anyone knows of a farm still offering shares for the season for a single person.

_bluescreek

We have an “Authentic Beef CSA” that starts each month (February, March, April, etc.) while supplies last. You pick up one bundle a month for 8 months. Over your eight months you actually get 1/8th of a beef. Each pickup is roughly 9-10 pounds.

Great for people who want to do a half or split half of beef, but they don’t have the freezer space or it’s only two people.

Check out our Authentic Beef CSA today! [/url] Reserve your spot for $36 today!

Anonymous
    Inactive

We’re thinking of getting the Greener Grocer CSA. I like the idea of the variety of sources, but wonder if going with a farm is a better value. I’m guessing that there are advantages to each. Opinions?

woodrowperry
    Participant

My first CSA was the Greener Grocer Market Bag last year, and I’m planning on doing it again this year. For me, the advantages were (in no particular order):
    -The North Market is the pickup location and it’s within walking distance of my employer.
    -Although the pickup day is published as a specific day, they hold the bags until the end of the week. So if you forget or can’t get there on that day, you can pick it up at another time.
    -The Market Bag is a good way to avoid “putting all your eggs in one basket” because the produce and other items are sourced from a variety of farms inside and outside of Ohio. If you do a CSA exclusive to one farm, there is risk that it may have a bad year. On the other hand, if you are sensitive to supporting Ohio-only farms, the Market Bag probably won’t be your first choice.
    -You can sign up for The Greener Grocer’s weekly newsletter, which tells you one or two days in advance what your Market Bag will have that week, and provides recipe suggestions.

As mentioned above, I don’t have other CSA experience to compare to the Market Bag, but I found the quality and affordability to be up to snuff. On average, I would have spent at least $22/week (medium bag) for items of equivalent variety and quality from a place like Kroger or Giant Eagle. And any time I inspected my bag and found, for example, a bruised peach, the Greener Grocer staff were more than happy to replace it.

duncanfj
    Participant

We’ve done Wayward Seed for four years. They do a really good job of giving out recipes featuring the produce from that week. We’ve been very happy with the variety, quality and quantity of produce. We also do the fruit shares, which is extra. You do take the risk of them having an off year, but if they do chances are everyone is. They have a number of options for pickup location. If we didn’t have a history with Wayward seed, the Greener Grocer would be intriguing. We’ve talked about doing their winter CSA.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: