Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It would be really amazing to see something like this go in the ground floor of 250 High.

+1

That would be a good spot considering the influx of new residents, the high visibly on High Street, and the easy access to transit.

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>heresthecasey wrote:</div>
    It would be really amazing to see something like this go in the ground floor of 250 High.

+1

That would be a good spot considering the influx of new residents, the high visibly on High Street, and the easy access to transit.

Target might be better suited on a location across the street where there’s room for a deeper footprint and an alley for deliveries/trash. The 250 site is boxed in by the garage and all services will be at the south end of the building at Main and High.

hdtvohio
    Participant

I could see a downtown Target happening in Columbus right now, but it’s hours would be like 8-7 to cater to the work crowd. Agree that we just don’t have the density to support a Target that caters to our downtown residents yet.

Although, my top choice would be to put it in the soon to be evacuated Columbia Gas Building (to be honest I don’t know if there’s already a plan for that building). It’d be by the Annex apartments, the Waterford, and the condos by Bicentennial. But I like the high and rich buildings too.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I could see a downtown Target happening in Columbus right now, but it’s hours would be like 8-7 to cater to the work crowd. Agree that we just don’t have the density to support a Target that caters to our downtown residents yet.

What about the residential crowd that lives in German Village, Merion village, Olde Towne East, King Lincoln, Italian Village, Short North, Weinland Park, Victorian Village, Harrison West, Franklinton and the Brewery District?

I know I’ve hit the Lennox Target later at night right before closing when I needed something specific. And that store is the closest one, but it’s less than ideal as it’s a bit out of the way, very student-oriented with its proximity to OSU, and often hard to get to due to event traffic, rush hour, sports games, etc.

I think a centrally placed *small* Downtown location could do well from all of the worker, resident, student and visitor traffic combined.

force5
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hdtvohio wrote:</div>

What about the residential crowd that lives in German Village, Merion village, Olde Towne East, King Lincoln, Italian Village, Short North, Weinland Park, Victorian Village, Harrison West, Franklinton and the Brewery District?

I know I’ve hit the Lennox Target later at night right before closing when I needed something specific. And that store is the closest one, but it’s less than ideal as it’s a bit out of the way, very student-oriented with its proximity to OSU, and often hard to get to due to event traffic, rush hour, sports games, etc.

I think a centrally placed *small* Downtown location could do well from all of the worker, resident, student and visitor traffic combined.

I know it’s not downtown but I would love to see something like this on the Timkin site. Along with another Kroger (the one at 7th and High is too crowded and not enough selection) and/or a Trader Joe’s or Lucky’s Market. There would be room for plenty other shops as well as even more housing. Kind of like Grandview Yard but I’d have more faith that Wagenbrenner could do it better than NRI. (Not trying to derail but has anyone heard any updates for the Timkin site?)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

One only hopes that this becomes more than chatter; a small downtown Target would suit the area much better than a grocery store, and as Walker noted, would pull traffic that is currently having to drive away from downtown to shop for items otherwise unavailable in the central part of the city.

News
    Participant

Target to open small city store in downtown Berkeley
    September 4, 2014 11:16 am by Frances

Target is coming to town. The Minneapolis-based retailer is poised to turn a long vacant building at the corner of Shattuck Avenue and Allston Way into one of its new-concept TargetExpress stores by March 2015. The store will only be 12,000 square feet — compared to the average Target store size of 80,000 square feet — but will sell food, clothing, accessories and consumer electronics that will appeal to students, commuters and downtown’s growing residential population.

READ MORE: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2014/09/04/target-to-open-small-city-store-in-downtown-berkeley/

goldenidea
    Participant

With the Cbus circulator, perhaps there may be more options for siting a smaller Target anywhere along it’s route, north or south of the heart of downtown. But the suggested locations cited above all seem good too.

Timkin would also be good, but I wonder if Target would view that location as being too close to OSU.

As for Timkin, my thought was if any retail went into Timkin it would probably be a Target competitor, perhaps WalMart? However, despite earlier rumors, WalMart hasn’t moved on it. Though 5th Ave lumber wouldn’t like it, I wouldn’t mind a Home Depot at Timkin, but only if Stone Brewing approves! We may want to GIVE Timkin to Stone, or as much of that site that they feel they’ll ever need.

substance
    Participant

What is happening at Timkin? I hope that a Walmart or any other low wage retailer that requires massive parking does not any special treatment

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

TargetExpress looks essentially like a hip Walgreen. That alone could have implications for drug store chains, including CVS and Rite Aid too.

That said, I’d love to see a TargetExpress or CityTarget come to Columbus, but I think were probably a ways off from getting either of the two concepts here. Downtown proper’s residential population would need to grow by something massive to really get Target’s attention. We’re making progress, but CBUS still has a ways to go yet.

I don’t think we’ll see a Wal-Mart “Express” anytime soon either, but that may ultimately have more to do with people running their execs out past I-270 the first time they show up for a planning board meeting. They won’t be embraced by the central city in any way.

News
    Participant

Target shrinks the big-box store to attract urban shoppers
    JULIE HYMAN
    Bloomberg News
    Published Tuesday, Feb. 24 2015, 6:21 PM EST

Now, Target Corp. is trying out its smallest format yet. Target Express, a pharmacy-sized 20,000-square-foot store, opened last July near the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. The concept wasn’t Mr. Cornell’s brainchild – he arrived in August – but Target is opening eight additional versions of the stores this year in such locations as the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington. They join eight CityTargets, 80,000- to 160,000-square-feet stores in urban areas, which have done little to help the overall business.

READ MORE: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/target-shrinks-the-big-box-store-to-attract-urban-shoppers/article23190334/

News
    Participant

Rosslyn’s new mini Target fills an urban retail niche
    October 12th, 2015

A miniature Target is now open in Rosslyn, occupying the ground floor of an office tower. At less than a sixth the size of a typical suburban Target, it shows how retailers are adapting to America’s increasingly urban reality.

READ MORE: http://beyonddc.com/log/?p=8619

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE