Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author

OSUPhantom

I really hope this trend catches on with nationwide retail and chains. Not only are the designs much nicer then the typical suburban target but this can go a long way to reverse the exodus to the suburbs and encourage more people to city urban areas as convenient places to live.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

OSUPhantom said:
    I really hope this trend catches on with nationwide retail and chains.

The trend will continue only if there is money to be made. While some stores (like Target) seem willing to go above and beyond on design aesthetics to compliment an urban environment, I imagine they could probably care less (from the corporate level) about reversing suburban migration trends. If anything, I’m guessing they would want an urban store to compliment their suburban stores, and not draw customers away from it.

cheap

exactly. Target couldn’t care less where the location is,only if it’s profitable.

i really am surprised Wexner hasn’t opened an Express store downtown somewhere

btw,Target really blew it building that store at Mill Run in Hilliard

the Upper Arlington folks aren’t showing up like they thought they would.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    i really am surprised Wexner hasn’t opened an Express store downtown somewhere

Express was spun off from Limited Brands four years ago.

News
    Participant

Target to test downsized store
    By STEVE ALEXANDER
    Published: Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014 – 5:10 am

As people move back to cities from the suburbs, Target Corp. is experimenting with a relatively tiny store in Minneapolis that will provide consumers with a “quick-trip experience.” The new Minneapolis store, to be called TargetExpress, will be even smaller than the CityTarget stores the retailer began introducing more than two years ago.

The first TargetExpress store, in a building under construction near the University of Minnesota, will test the concept of a store that is 20,000 square feet. That’s a fraction the size of Target’s big-box stores, which are 125,000 to 180,000 square feet, and much smaller than even its CityTarget stores, which are 60,000 to 100,000 square feet.

READ MORE: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/23/6095021/target-to-test-downsized-store.html

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I’m dreaming of something like this anchoring the first floor of the yet-to-be-unveiled Edwards Co. apartment building at Gay & High, amongst several other new build sites in the works too of course

Eugene_C
    Participant

cheap said:

btw,Target really blew it building that store at Mill Run in Hilliard

I’ve been there, the traffic access is horrible.

Target is looking at ways to follow future growth in the area, and right now there is growth in denser areas. Plus people in those denser areas need fewer things than people out in the ‘burbs, so the stores don’t have to be as large, anyway.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Yes, urban shopping habits and spending patterns are vastly different than suburban ones.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

cheap said:
    Target really blew it building that store at Mill Run in Hilliard

I’ve said again and again that Target has been far too conservative in building SuperTargets in Ohio, which is what this location easily could have been, since it is a stand alone property with plenty of room (no plaza attached to either side) and highway visibility. Plus the Mill Run area lacks its own grocery store.

As for “TargetExpress” stores, I could easily see them building one in downtown Columbus eventually, but I’m guessing they want to see the area reach a magic population figure first. I was quite impressed by the CityTarget I visited in Downtown Seattle (three floors with parking built underneath), but its easy to see why it is there because Seattle has a huge and active downtown population with condo and apartment towers everywhere, compared to Columbus. Here, we are really just starting to move in that direction, and City Center’s demise also didn’t help our reputation any with national retailers. It will be a few years, if Target survives that long.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Nah, don’t worry about City Center. The retail industry now knows that downtown malls simply don’t work (it didn’t know that in 1988) so Columbus gets a free pass on that one. Target’s got their metrics and City Center won’t be on their minds. But it’s probably going to take a while.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpunkster said:
    I’m dreaming of something like this anchoring the first floor of the yet-to-be-unveiled Edwards Co. apartment building at Gay & High, amongst several other new build sites in the works too of course.

I was thinking that this format would be well-served anchoring one of the retail spots in one of the four new buildings at High & Rich with approximately 985 new residents at that intersection in another 18-24 months and more new residents nearby.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Would love to see this happen but I don’t think they would even consider downtown Columbus until they noticed the population reach somewhere around 10,000 in the core. What are we at maybe 5,500 people? I could however see this going in downtown Cincinnati or downtown Cleveland.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Would love to see this happen but I don’t think they would even consider downtown Columbus until they noticed the population reach somewhere around 10,000 in the core. What are we at maybe 5,500 people? I could however see this going in downtown Cincinnati or downtown Cleveland.

In 2013, we were around 6,300 in downtown, thats a September estimate.

News
    Participant

First TargetExpress store opens in Minneapolis
    By Kavita Kumar, Star Tribune 6:27 p.m. CDT July 25, 2014

Super-sizing in retail is so yesterday. Instead, Target is going even smaller with its new store formats.

The Minneapolis-based retailer opened a 20,000-square-foot TargetExpress store Wednesday on the University of Minnesota campus, the first of its kind for Target at about a sixth of the size of traditional locations.

“We’re testing things on an ongoing basis,” said Kamau Witherspoon, Target’s senior director of store operations. “This is just our latest innovation.”

READ MORE: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/money/2014/07/25/first-targetexpress-store-opens-minneapolis/13190483/

heresthecasey
    Participant

It would be really amazing to see something like this go in the ground floor of 250 High.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE