Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

Why do we need a Target downtown? There are several just a short drive away. Big box stores have too many complications for an urban environment….large delivery trucks, lots of one-story space, and they also drown small businesses already downtown. The business model of big box stores will not work downtown, except for marketing purposes and further degrading downtown character and charm.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Why do we need a Target downtown? There are several just a short drive away. Big box stores have too many complications for an urban environment….large delivery trucks, lots of one-story space, and they also drown small businesses already downtown. The business model of big box stores will not work downtown, except for marketing purposes and further degrading downtown character and charm.

I agree that a standard format big box doesn’t have much place Downtown.

But an “urbanized” store like what Target is doing with their “CityTarget” concept could be a very solid anchor for Downtown that would draw additional retail to fill in around it.

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    I agree that a standard format big box doesn’t have much place Downtown.

But an “urbanized” store like what Target is doing with their “CityTarget” concept could be a very solid anchor for Downtown that would draw additional retail to fill in around it.

I’m just concerned that the same thing will happen downtown that happened across America when Wal-Mart began their proliferation of the landscape; Main Street and the mom-and-pop owned stores died. The best part of downtown is the scale, the walkability, the culture, the variety.

Not long ago, a vast majority of people in our country owned their own business/shop. Never in history have so many people in this country been employees rather than employers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve always wondered if any of our local chain retailers (A&F, Express, Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body Works, DSW, etc…) would ever have any interest in showing support for their community by being pioneers in a Downtown retail setting. They might not be opening a store with record-breaking sales, but I imagine they could break even and show some community pride in the process…

leftovers

^ A lot of those chains and others were represented at City Center (a pioneering development in its day). I think it is combination of stores being downtown and people willing to change their shopping habits. Obviously a big issue with City Center was that it closed itself off from the street, but it also suffered from lack of weekend and evening business. Ideally, there would be some kind of customer loyalty that kept people from running to the next shiny new shopping mecca. I think a lot of those stores discovered that by moving to the burbs they could get the suburban shoppers who avoided downtown and they could get the downtown shoppers as well.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I am sure that an Express would work in the Short North area. The neighborhood is definately their target market. However, I would only want to see a couple of chains and mostly keep the independent boutiques. It’s what makes the Short North unique. But, one cannot deny the amount of people, especially from campus, that would frequent an Express in the Short North, right along a major bus line at that. That one store alone would create a massive amount of extra foot traffic, which is good for all stores around it. It would make it easier for me to get clothes for work as well, which makes up the bulk of my work attire.

cmhcow
    Participant

Sounds like M Street in Georgetown

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    I think a lot of those stores discovered that by moving to the burbs they could get the suburban shoppers who avoided downtown and they could get the downtown shoppers as well.

True, but I think that’s slowly not becoming the case as much anymore. Many students don’t have easy ways to get to the suburban malls, many alternatives to the malls can be found in the local shops in neighborhoods like The Short North, German Village and Grandview, and with a growing visitor demographic coming to the Convention Center and staying in Hotels, there’s a growing need for more centralized places to spend money on non-food retail.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Maybe Waggenbrenner or Pizzuti should be talking with the Express folks, eh??

cheap

think about it.

didn’t they just tear down a 3 story mall downtown?

Asch

columbusmike said:
    Why do we need a Target downtown? There are several just a short drive away.

Keyword there is “drive”. With all the new housing popping up downtown (including student housing) and people with disposable income moving to the nearby neighborhoods, There will, in a few years, be a market for people to walk or take the bus to a CityTarget downtown, instead of heading up to the Lennox.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    think about it. didn’t they just tear down a 3 story mall downtown?

No one is asking for a new one.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    That Target suffers from the same issue that Kohls has… with the addition of being anchored by a tremendously crappy Kroger. They are trying to angle their products to a perceived clientele, which in turn alienates the clientele they have. Some people stop shopping there, preferring the larger selection at other Targets, so the W Broad store stops carrying as much stock, and the snowball effect grows. That Target hasn’t remodeled since it opened, so it also appears old and outdated. Really, if that Target did what the Olentangy Target & the Grove City Target did, they’d get a *ton* more business, even with the Kroger being right there, since that Kroger blows.

It’s a shame – at one point I remember that Target touting it was the highest grossing Target in the state… those days are long gone.

My understanding is the West Broad Target Greatland was slated to be closed when the first Hilliard/Hilliard-Rome area Target store opened. For some reason unknown to me, the company has opted to keep it open. Maybe as a museum or case study of sorts? Maybe it is still profitable, even if not nearly so much as before? A remodel seems unlikely in the foreseeable future, however, given the general declining state and appearance of the surrounding area.

I remember the first time I visited there a couple years ago. It looked very dated even then–like a time warp to the late 90s back when super-sized Big Box stores were apparently the future of retail. That was back when Target had first unveiled the Target Greatland store concept as an intermediate stage between its traditional stores and SuperTarget stores. I always hoped they would build one in the Akron-Canton area where I lived at the time. Its apparent now, however, that the time for Greatland has passed and that the company has opted to move forward mostly with variant models of its traditional store format. Oh well.

I do think the CityTarget format could work well in Columbus and in many other cities’ downtown communities and similar urban settings. It may very well be what keeps the company afloat in a few years’ time.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Build street car down Broad street, and spur new development or remodel?

TaraK
    Participant

I think a City Target in the downtown/Brewery District area would do phenomenally well. As someone who lives in the area and stays very neighborhoody, I think they’d have tons of business.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE