Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Target Building Smaller Stores in Urban Markets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Think we can convince them to build one Downtown?

Quote:
    Target Considering Smaller Stores to Expand in Cities

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) — Target Corp., the second-largest U.S. discount chain, is considering opening smaller-format stores to expand in cities.

The company is researching the option, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregg Steinhafel said yesterday in an interview at Target’s Minneapolis headquarters, adding that the retailer has no definitive plans or sites for such stores.

“We know that consumers in dense urban areas love Target,” Steinhafel said. “We have to work harder at trying to get a smaller Target in those areas.”

Target plans to open more U.S. stores in metropolitan areas as well as remodel existing locations to add groceries and encourage more frequent visits. On its earnings call yesterday, the company said it’s planning for a “modest” decrease in fourth-quarter sales at stores open at least a year as shoppers continue to pare discretionary spending.

More…

michaelcoyote
    Participant

This retail concept seems.. familar for some reason.

I wonder if they’ll have a lunch counter.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Would love to see them Downtown.

Someone throw up the bat-signal for Kacey Campbell to get on this! ;)

cc

This is great news.

Columbusite

I would shop there, but I’m not sure how people would feel about paying to park, let alone after the increase. Would current Downtown foot traffic be enough?

mbarker
    mbarker
    Participant

I don’t think Target is necessarily saying they are going to open stores in “downtown” areas, but urban areas, much like how you will find Giant Eagle stores in Victorian and German Village, as opposed to where Target stores are normally located in the suburbs or on the outskirts of the city.

I know when I was living in Victorian Village, I was constantly driving up to the Bethel and Sawmill Rd. areas to do most of my shopping, so locations closer to the city’s core would be nice for those residents.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

As a frequent shopper of Target at the Lennox I could definately handle a store closer to home. Although, I don’t think we could convince Target officials that there are enough people downtown and surrounding neighborhoods to support a store. Maybe if there was a streetcar running alongside, then sure. Anyways, this is a good example of the type of store I would like to see, however without all of the public and political turmoil that came with it.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200110/09_hughesa_newtarget/

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Apparently Target just launched a new store format called “CityTarget” in downtowns Chicago and Seattle. They just opened another in the Los Angeles area, with designs on the downtowns of Portland and Baltimore in the works, supposedly aiming for about a dozen or so total nationwide. Maybe Downtown Columbus could find its way onto the future expansion list? ;-)

The focus is apparently urban essentials; they won’t sell anything at these locations that the average apartment dweller can’t carry out and haul safely back home. In other words, you’ll likely have to look elsewhere for that 47′ LED flat screen TV, or 70″ 5 shelf bookcase. At the same time, they’ll offer the usual in fashion, food, dishwasher soap and light bulbs.

CityTarget Coming to Westwood Target to open second small-format, urban store in the Los Angeles area

MINNEAPOLIS, Nov 14, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Target is pleased to announce today that it will open a CityTarget store in the Westwood Market Place in Westwood, Calif. in July 2012. The 98,000- square-foot store will occupy the former Home Depot Expo space located in the heart of Westwood at 10861 Weyburn Ave. The Westwood location is the second CityTarget store confirmed in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Target previously announced that it would open a small-format, urban store at Figueroa and 7th in downtown Los Angeles in October 2012.

CityTarget will offer commuters, tourists and urban dwellers the convenience of one-stop shopping with urban living essentials, on-trend fashions and exclusive designer collections. The store will open in 2012 and create about 200 jobs locally.

More…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rendering of CityTarget development in San Francisco at Metron:

MORE: http://freshneasybuzz.blogspot.com/2011/08/british-are-coming-to-target-citytarget.html

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Columbia Gas building is available. :)

Twixlen
    Participant

cheap said:
    a good friend of mine works in a Target

they are slashing employee hours bigtime,and managers are staying late to do the workers’ job.

the target on west broad is seriously dead.

things are not going well right now for them.

That Target suffers from the same issue that Kohls has… with the addition of being anchored by a tremendously crappy Kroger. They are trying to angle their products to a perceived clientele, which in turn alienates the clientele they have. Some people stop shopping there, preferring the larger selection at other Targets, so the W Broad store stops carrying as much stock, and the snowball effect grows. That Target hasn’t remodeled since it opened, so it also appears old and outdated. Really, if that Target did what the Olentangy Target & the Grove City Target did, they’d get a *ton* more business, even with the Kroger being right there, since that Kroger blows.

It’s a shame – at one point I remember that Target touting it was the highest grossing Target in the state… those days are long gone.

cbus11

I stopped in that West Broad St Target for the first time in several years and it felt like I had walked into a Kmart. It had a sense of impending doom and I was told to look for some items at other Targets. It is really discouraging to see what has become of the Broad Street retail corridor over the last 10 years.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It doesn’t help when it hasn’t been renovated, is built 500 yards from Broad and is surrounded by an abundance of vacant spaces. I would rather see a more “urban” like Target near the offramps, preferably at Westland Mall.

peanutnozone
    Participant

I hope they put a target downtown here! As for C’lumbus, I think it’d do very well in the near downtown area. Maybe KLD or Campus area??? I mean, they have the lennox…but that 84 took forever sometimes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE