Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Taking Action on Cbus Rail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Taking Action on Cbus Rail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Columbusite

johnwirtz wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>
    It’s 2010 and our crosswalks are jokes, pedestrians have to walk several blocks on some streets before the next traffic signal to cross legally,

You know that a crosswalk doesn’t have to be marked to be a legal crosswalk right?

Ab.So.Lutely. Doesn’t mean I’m going to take my life into my own hands and walk from the wheelchair ramp curb at the Clintonville Cup ‘O Joe to Lavash Cafe across the street. The proper question is if drivers know that. The answer is, “No, now get out of the way while I honk at you before I run your ass over.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joshlapp wrote >>
    Would anyone be interested in doing some sort of meetup that can be the jumping off point to building an organization and brainstorming ideas?

Yes. Worked on gathering some resources for this effort this past weekend. All we need is a group leader with some free time on their hands. ;)

alove
    alove
    Participant

“Transportation leads to transformation.”

johnwirtz
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>
    It’s 2010 and our crosswalks are jokes, pedestrians have to walk several blocks on some streets before the next traffic signal to cross legally,

You know that a crosswalk doesn’t have to be marked to be a legal crosswalk right?

Ab.So.Lutely. Doesn’t mean I’m going to take my life into my own hands and walk from the wheelchair ramp curb at the Clintonville Cup ‘O Joe to Lavash Cafe across the street. The proper question is if drivers know that. The answer is, “No, now get out of the way while I honk at you before I run your ass over.”

So when you say “pedestrians have to walk several blocks to cross legally,” you actually mean “to cross safely?” I agree with that. Columbus doesn’t have a yield to pedestrians culture.

cbuster

please post details of any meetup on this thread, I would definitely be interested in attending!

cbustransit
    Participant

it seems like this would be better suited to be a more holistic group that included all types of transit

i would rename it cbus transit…

Columbusite

johnwirtz wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

So when you say “pedestrians have to walk several blocks to cross legally,” you actually mean “to cross safely?” I agree with that. Columbus doesn’t have a yield to pedestrians culture.

Yes. Right now they pretty much have to be both.

ehill27
    Participant

cbuster wrote >>
    please post details of any meetup on this thread, I would definitely be interested in attending!

+1

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

A date and time has been set for the first Cbus Rail Meetup!

-Date: Wednesday April 7th, 2010

-Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Bring Lots of Ideas and Enthusiasm

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice. On my calendar. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Peter Christensen: Why Transit Used to Be Profitable and Isn’t Now

It’s a complicated issue, so here’s a little background (I have a Masters in Urban Planning so I’ve read a lot). Streetcar lines (and subways in some places) were profitable businesses, just like railroad lines. But there were a few features that we don’t have today.

READ MORE: http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/02/23/peter-christensen-why-transit-used-to-be-profitable-and-isnt-now/

cbuster

joshlapp wrote >>
    A date and time has been set for the first Cbus Rail Meetup!
    -Date: Wednesday April 7th, 2010
    -Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
    Bring Lots of Ideas and Enthusiasm

is this still on? if so, I will see you tomorrow.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

YES! the event is still on… I posted another thread but i already seems to have faded into CU oblivion. Hoping to see lots of faces and hear lots of ideas tomorrow!

cbustransit
    Participant

soooooo….what happened at the meeting?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE