Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Taking Action on Cbus Rail

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Taking Action on Cbus Rail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

mnoelleh

Just say what needs to be done 1st :)Is this mainly to propose local rail, or is it to include the one that may run to cleveland and cinci?

alove
    alove
    Participant

ehill27 wrote >> Blueprint America: Beyond the Motor City[/url]

Everyone need to watch this video if you have the time! Especially starting at 50 minutes and 35 seconds

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Wow, I could have watched 2 more hours of that. This is the type of program that all of the skeptics and naysayers and those who may be uneducated in the urban way of life should watch. However, sadly most will never see this. I really wish they would show programs like this on primetime tv and major stations. I mean, come on, how many people really watch PBS. Something like this needs to be seen by the masses.

This isn’t just an urban issue but a suburban one as well. If you’ve read enough of my posts, you may perceive me to be anti-suburban. Although I don’t personally prefer the suburban way of life, I do realize that urban cannot work without suburban and vise versa.

This program makes just about every case for why investment in our transportation systems is worth the effort throughout not only our cities but our entire country. It’s almost embarassing to think where we came from compared to where we are right now. We have gone from leaders to laggards. Our infrastructure is being left in the dust, literally, by other countries who actually get it. The Spaniards definately get it. What’s worse, they’ve gotten it for the last couple of decades and are now so far ahead of the U.S. that our job of playing catch up has gotten that much harder. We are at a critical crossroads but I fear the dragging of our feet combined with the lack of education, political squabling, red tape, poor economic conditions and overall lack of will has and will continue to leave our infrastructure in a state of disinvestment and “stone age” state of being.

@joshlapp: I applaud you, as well as everyone else on CU who have posted something in support for the advancement of our transportation. Something more needs to be done. One more concerned citizen is better than one less. If any of you want to get together sometime and talk about this over a few beers, or coffee or whatever, then let me know. You’re right, we talk about and write about it all the time. Now it’s high time that we actually do something about it. It’s time we get our voices heard.

We had something good going on with the Citizen Summit a few years back. An open public forum like that should be happening at least twice a year. Notice how the hype kind of died off soon after. That can’t happen. We need to be relentless, on a weekly basis at the very least. The more these issues are on the minds of our leaders and citizens, the more it will begin to make more sense and become common thought.

Mez

I liked the Indy video. However the part about Expanding roads could be left off the table here. Awhile back a person said that the answer to congestion is not to pave more land. He said look at how well that has worked for California. Everytime you add lanes you just give more incentive to grab your keys and drive somewhere. This adds more cars and that “extra” capacity quickly disapears. This person had done research on Freeways systems at some point.

We also need a complete solution to tie the Suburbs into the plan, similar to what Indy had in the video.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Mez wrote >>
    I liked the Indy video. However the part about Expanding roads could be left off the table here. Awhile back a person said that the answer to congestion is not to pave more land. He said look at how well that has worked for California. Everytime you add lanes you just give more incentive to grab your keys and drive somewhere. This adds more cars and that “extra” capacity quickly disapears. This person had done research on Freeways systems at some point.
    We also need a complete solution to tie the Suburbs into the plan, similar to what Indy had in the video.

I’d agree and disagree. I think they hit the right note with personal car use. Bus/rail/bike/walking won’t work for everyone. While I would prefer to see more emphasis on those modes, we need smart planning and engineering to accommodate the car. It doesn’t necessarily have to mean more pavement. Just smarter ways of incorporating that mode into the broader system.

Mez

I think we are looking at the same objective of limiting the amount of new pavement and come up with a strategy that uses the roads we have more effectively within a combined system.

johnwirtz
    Participant

alove wrote >>

jpizzow wrote >>
    This is what should have been done 10 years ago when the city of Columbus announced a plan for the Polaris to downtown light rail line:
    http://www.indyconnect.org/index.htm

Let’s do it now..? We deserve better transportation, and lord knows we need the developmental benefits more than Indy.

It’s not really something that we can do ourselves, at least not without significant time and money invested. If you look at the Indy site’s ”About Us” section, you’ll see that this was done by their Metropolitan Planning Organization (our equivalent is MORPC), and their transit agencies (our COTA).

alove
    alove
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    It’s not really something that we can do ourselves, at least not without significant time and money invested. If you look at the Indy site’s ”About Us” section, you’ll see that this was done by their Metropolitan Planning Organization (our equivalent is MORPC), and their transit agencies (our COTA).

Then let’s talk to COTA and MORPC?

Columbusite

If this can be pulled off it’ll be great. Still, I have to point out once again how little the city is investing in comparatively very inexpensive infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists. I don’t understand why not having rail means we can’t invest in enhancing those alternatives which already exist.

It’s 2010 and our crosswalks are jokes, pedestrians have to walk several blocks on some streets before the next traffic signal to cross legally, only a few select areas have a decent bike rack presence, only N High is signed for cyclists, and pointed out to me (credit goes to Mr. Henkel) is that COTA doesn’t offer a 3 day visitor pass. Instead, I found there’s a week pass for $22, but who’s going to cough up that amount of money if they’re only going to be here for a few days? We’re going to get a rail station in the downtown area regardless of any streetcar and/or light-rail system that may materialize, so why not make the city better for when you step out of the train/streetcar? If we can get people behind that too it’s much more likely something will be done since it doesn’t come with a huge price tag and long-term implementation process.

anillo
    Participant

Why doesn’t COTA offer a 3 day pass? That seems like it could be popular with people coming to town for conventions.

Columbusite

I know, I’ll ask them.

johnwirtz
    Participant

alove wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

Then let’s talk to COTA and MORPC?

Go for it. It might also be worth contacting MORPC’s Members (http://www.morpc.org/pdf/MembersTermsJan2010.pdf), COTA’s Board of Trustees (http://www.cota.com/Board_of_Trustees.aspx), and the people who appoint COTA’s Trustees (Columbus Mayor, suburban Mayors, and Franklin County Commissioners).

You might also want to check out MORPC’s regional plan that is in progress. I’m not sure if it will end up being similar to Indy’s or something entirely different, but you could ask and provide input through that means:
    http://regionalplan.morpc.org/

johnwirtz
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    It’s 2010 and our crosswalks are jokes, pedestrians have to walk several blocks on some streets before the next traffic signal to cross legally,

You know that a crosswalk doesn’t have to be marked to be a legal crosswalk right?

ehill27
    Participant

See Mayor Coleman’s comments on rail (starting at the 3 minute mark):

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I’ve been working on the site more, and I think its finally starting to take shape. Would anyone be interested in doing some sort of meetup that can be the jumping off point to building an organization and brainstorming ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE