Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)
  • Author

Cookie

Coreroc said:
    Graffiti supplies are sold at the art stores these days and anyone that wakes up saying I need to go to the art store is an artist in my book.

If someone gets their spray paint at a hardware store, does that make them a carpenter?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    I think that it’s rather funny that you can determine what someones goals and motivation is when you have never spoken to any of these people.

Actions speak louder than words. When someone destroys property I assume their goal is to destroy property. Spraying illegible initials on the previous posters fence is not an act of art, it’s an act of vandalism with the goal to commit damage. Seems pretty obvious to most people here, except for you. You can call other people ignorant all you want, that doesn’t change the fact that you seem to be the only one here who holds that opinion. LOL

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Pardon me, person defacing my personal property. Would you care to come in for some tea, perhaps open a dialogue about your motivations. Perhaps you could expand on the reasoning behind your petty criminal activity, I could tell you when Whiskers died I smashed her food bowl and how I came to find that destruction wasn’t the answer. We could then hug and exchange numbers, maybe I could teach you baking or knitting?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Cookie said:
    If someone gets their spray paint at a hardware store, does that make them a carpenter?

Yeah, that’s not destructive, its drive by carpentry! and if they get it at Kroger it makes them a grocer so their tags can be classified as vegetables under the federal school lunch program.

BuenaVista

Most of pbj has gone Emo. What happened was most of them started hitting their late 20s, early 30s, and became depressed after realizing it is not cool to be a campus loser at 30. A lot of them relocated from campus to OTE, and you can find them there.

The rest of pbj believe they are rappers now. Imagine a bunch of 30 year old white men pretending to be rappers, its awful. Not in a haha funny way, but in a, god this is pathetic way.

edit: This post was in response to Cookie. I forgot to quote her.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Pardon me, person defacing my personal property. Would you care to come in for some tea, perhaps open a dialogue about your motivations. Perhaps you could expand on the reasoning behind your petty criminal activity, I could tell you when Whiskers died I smashed her food bowl and how I came to find that destruction wasn’t the answer. We could then hug and exchange numbers, maybe I could teach you baking or knitting?

I love me some Snarf Snark.

misskitty
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    I think that it’s rather funny that you can determine what someones goals and motivation is when you have never spoken to any of these people.

I will share at the risk of being type casted but as someone who as a teen vandalized and tagged peoples shit. None of us ever gave the “Art Form” a thought at all. All we wanted to do was destroy stuff. All this coming from a disadvantage youth you talk about. I would bet there are a real small percentage of kids that actually want to draw TAGS as an art form. When my friends and I were teens we should have got our ass whooped for doing some of the stupid stuff we did not limited to drawing bullshit on people’s property. Now that I have matured, I realize that it was the incorrect action to rebel on. There are better ways but you cannot belive that the majority of people want to make art. For most it’s all about teen destruction and rebellion some grow up others don’t.

kittymc
    Participant

There’s graffiti on stretches of Parsons that improve the blight imo. Too bad they’re not all muralists.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

graffiti is an art threads are my favorite show.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m measuring water samples at Hayden Run this month. I measure the Scioto under the bridge, and judging by the tags and at least one used condom, it’s someone’s fuckshack under there.

Oh, and the taggers were painting the cliffs with their shit for a while, and it got painted over with gray paint resembling the color of the limestone. Now they just tag the stairs and walkway, less work I suppose.

rus
    rus
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    I love me some Snarf Snark.

Damn right.

th0m
    Participant

Hey this is a prime opportunity for graffiti artist appreciation, some thoughts:

1. Using computer vision to decompose layers upon layers of new graffiti as it builds up

2. Exploring the uses of the Graffiti Markup Language

in general, be sure to check out http://graffitianalysis.com/ and http://www.woostercollective.com

groundrules
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    anyone that wakes up saying I need to go to the art store is an artist in my book.

Really? there’s no difference between what you do and what they do because you all buy shit at the same kind of store? I can’t understand why you want to cast your lot with mere vandals. I would think that you have the most to gain by establishing a separation between the shit and shinola, yet you continually want to group it together and lie down with dogs.

cc

^ I think most of the taggers head to the hardware store… ;)

groundrules
    Participant

Coreroc said:
    I love how everyone is an expert on the graffiti demographic anymore. Sadly you guys are very clueless and on the outside here. However it all becomes about what makes us feel beter as individuals in the end so assume away!

I would like to understand your position more, as I think there is merit in aspects of street art. However, your defense of graffiti in many of these threads consists of only telling us that we’re old, we’re outsiders, we’re out of touch, we don’t get it. Well, make us get it. Make us understand if you want to defend it. A prime example- you don’t refute that there are a lot of adults or people of relative privilege who are tagging private property.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION