Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Graffiti Crackdown in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 504 total)
  • Author

Lakee911
    Participant

I thought that PBJ was old school and quietening down….maybe not.

I’d love to catch someone tagging in my neighborhood…

dave225
    Participant

I paint over their juvenile little tags frequently. I almost caught one of them once – chased him down but couldn’t catch him. He literally escaped having a can of spray paint shoved down his throat.

Glad to see the judge is ready to give him a serious sentence.

Tenzo
    Participant

How the heck does this qualify of ‘making an example’ ?
    That implies a overly severe penalty.

King, 19, of 2621 Pontiac St., had faced 13 counts of graffiti and three other misdemeanors, but prosecutors tossed out the remaining charges in exchange for the plea.

Authorities say King left 100 tags across the city.

That is not. “being made an example of”. That’s a plea bargain.

Now the Mayor of Las Vegas, he knew how to make examples.

Nov 4, 2005 … The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television. …
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9927522/ns/us_news-weird_news/

In Chicago, it’s a felony
    Four teenagers were charged with felonies Wednesday night, accused of spray-painting graffiti

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

What a tool.

On the other hand, this piece used to be in an alley near my house. It was awesome, but it was covered up recently.
    http://www.vinchen.com/gallery.html?id=anApology
    Whoever did the covering did a terrible job with crappy mismatched paint though, and now it looks terrible. It looked like art before, and now it just looks like a hot sloppy mess. Bummer.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

that looks cool, but as i have said before, vinchen needs his/her own style instead of ripping off Banksy…it ain’t new, fool!

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

In other, happier, tagging news… someone threw up a sticker-tag on one of the bollards in the short north UDF parking lot. It’s a “Hi! My Name is” sticker, with “BIG MAN JAPAN!” scribbled excitedly in sharpie. That was pretty good.

melikecheese
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    How the heck does this qualify of ‘making an example’ ?

I think in this case actually arresting and charging someone was the example…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

There used to be some guy tagging as Sky in this part of town, I wonder what ever happened to him.

dru
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    In other, happier, tagging news… someone threw up a sticker-tag on one of the bollards in the short north UDF parking lot. It’s a “Hi! My Name is” sticker, with “BIG MAN JAPAN!” scribbled excitedly in sharpie. That was pretty good.

I don’t know if that is linked, but there has been a scourge of crappy “Japan” tags in the Italian Village. Using everything from spray paint, to letter decals, to what appears to be burn marks, there are several of these tags around the neighborhood. The most prominent being on an abandoned property on Summit just north of Second.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    There used to be some guy tagging as Sky in this part of town, I wonder what ever happened to him.

he was busted a long time ago:

http://nograffiti.com/files/Files2/sky.htm

Wednesday, August 2, 2000

Kevin Mayhood
    Dispatch Staff Reporter

The teen-ager spent untold hours in the early mornings spray-painting the word sky on bridges,
    overpasses and buildings throughout Columbus.

Now, Trent Ecklar will spend 400 hours, likely with pail and scrub brush in hand, removing his and
    others’ illegal artwork.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Once when we were finishing a litter cleanup at Greenlawn, some guys walked up and asked, “Is the judge making you do this?”

TimLessner

alexs wrote >>

http://www.nograffiti.com/files/Files2/sky.htm

TimLessner

woops. didn’t notice Rockmastermike already posted…

sixby9is42

Rockmastermike wrote >>

alexs wrote >>

he was busted a long time ago:
    http://nograffiti.com/files/Files2/sky.htm

Wednesday, August 2, 2000
    Kevin Mayhood
    Dispatch Staff Reporter
    The teen-ager spent untold hours in the early mornings spray-painting the word sky on bridges,
    overpasses and buildings throughout Columbus.
    Now, Trent Ecklar will spend 400 hours, likely with pail and scrub brush in hand, removing his and
    others’ illegal artwork.

This looks like the same guy, DUI back in 2008: http://barnesvilledispatch.com/speeding-driver-offers-unusual-excuse-p3572.htm

kitty

dru wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>

I don’t know if that is linked, but there has been a scourge of crappy “Japan” tags in the Italian Village. Using everything from spray paint, to letter decals, to what appears to be burn marks, there are several of these tags around the neighborhood. The most prominent being on an abandoned property on Summit just north of Second.

I’ve noticed a few Japan tags on High street. There are 2 “Deceas Japs” tags in the alley behind Circus. The “Deceas Japs” just showed up a few weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 504 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION